P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-04-02, 10:27 AM   #1
fogelbise

Default WinMX browse different per server?

First of all, thanks go out to TankGirl, Snarkridden, JackSpratts, and HAL9000 and others for your great input on the last winmx thread. I thought instead of dragging that one back up i would put the thanks here.

question please: I used TankGirl's recommendation to browse my own files (right click on hotlist window v2.6 to manually add myself to my own hotlist, once i am on my list, right-click and browse) and found that on DarkServer's (openap server) response it showed only my audio files, no movies and i have uploaded and downloaded movies via that server before. my concern is that in trying to get movies, it looks like i am sharing none. when i tried via another server it showed all of my files...and a server i was no longer connected to showed 0 files! making me look like a leech if someone happened to browse via that server.

thank you for any input.

fogelbise
(fogelbise: correct swedish spelling is "fågel bajs" or birdsh*t)
fogelbise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 10:44 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

It is up to the server owners to decide what type of files (and how many of them) they will index and show in search results and browses. The policies may vary and also depend on the general loading situation of the servers. For these reasons it is very informative to browse your own library to see what really gets through to others in each network.

Note that if you have a large library and it gets capped in browsing people might still see the remaining files through searches and be able to download them.

If you are disconnected from a server, you cannot browse anybody's library on that server (your nick should show as offline on your hotlist), hence 0 files. If you try to do the browsing anyway, you should see a 'Waiting for response from server' message hanging on the Search window.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 10:54 AM   #3
HAL9000

Browse list is given by the server. later version of Napster had client to client browse but I don't see that in most of current client software. so result of browse is upto the server, think this way browse = search by user name. Server can omit some type of file, and control number of results to be returned.

edit: Hi tg . note to self: type quick
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 11:14 AM   #4
fogelbise

Default thank you!

Well, thank you both! great info once again. i guess i will check out each of the servers i use and keep that info in mind. since it is up to the server, i can't control the browse info but can message someone i guess.
fogelbise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 01:32 PM   #5
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows I Really miss the feature!

Tg,

Have you tried the add your own nick into hotlist trick on WinMx 3.00? I'd be interested in your findings, its a usefull trick too for checking you have not been "Parked" on a server, and that server is actually working for you.

so far I've not been able to make it work on 3.00OK your name does appear in the hotlist, on some servers, not on othersbut none will actually respond to a WHOIS or BROWSE?

Snark..

[Ok Perhaps it the heat here in the UK?]
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 01:35 AM   #6
thinker
Ex-Singular

Only slightly related, but something I really can't stand is that some servers seem to be unable to detect one's files at all. There are still a few out there that ban me for sharing 0 files, though I share 270 picture and music files. Ugh.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 03:05 AM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi Snark, I haven't played with 3.0 betas for a while but will post my observations when I do. I would assume that possible limitations in browsing your own library would come from the servers and not from the client but you never know...

thinker, I think your comment is fully related. If a server allows only mp3 and other audio files, it probably filters other file types away first and only then counts what you are sharing which in this case (if you share no mp3s at all) would result in 0 shared files. Why not to share a couple of obscure mp3 albums (say something from Meka and Ramona ) - that would probably be the easiest way to avoid the problem.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 09:39 AM   #8
thinker
Ex-Singular

Well, the breakdown of what I share is about 120 jpgs/gifs and about 150 mp3s. Some places don't detect anything at all, and some others are hit-and-miss varying widely - sometimes they'll detect all my files (both pics and music), other times only 10-15% of what I have. So I'm always sharing some mp3s, many times they just aren't picked up for some reason. But since I cracked the 50 server connection mark early this morning, I don't care as much.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote