P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 21-04-02, 05:00 AM   #1
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's
Crazy eDonkey does actually do something, doesn't it?

Please tell me it's not all a massive hoax to drive me nuts , and then please, please tell me how to get it to work in the real world.

The story so far:

I have never ever got anything via eDonkey > > > > > > >

I start it up and either it makes no attempt to connect to a server, or whiles away the hours happily failing to connect to loads and loads of servers (see end of post).

So then i decide to fire up the eDonkey bot, which before I even try anything with it crashes first itself, then (even tho I killed it with Ctrl + Alt + Del) the entire OS.

So then I decide to take another look at the help info on the eDonkey site, maybe ask in the eDonkey forums... but the site is down. And now the eDonkey bot page is saying the Bot is being intentionally crashed, with no further info available/no more access to forums etc.

So then I decide to look in the Zeropaid eDonkey forum, but there's only so much teen moronics I can take before switching off ("eDonkey is fucking shit and anyone who uses it is a lamer retard" "no, eDonkey is fucking fantastic and anyone who doesn't love it is a lamer retard" repeat ad nauseam)
Quote:
From server window:
Can't connect to: 80.133.30.252
Connecting to SCARAB'S QDSL GERMAN SERVER ....
Can't connect to: 213.20.226.115
Connecting to Rennserver Speedy!!! ....
Can't connect to: 80.135.236.235
Connecting to Donkey Master Warez ....
Can't connect to: 217.85.21.162
Connecting to EdONkeY RulEZ ....
Can't connect to: 217.228.9.248
Connecting to Wildthing ....
Can't connect to: 217.230.55.145
Connecting to -=ArrakiS=- French Edonkey Server ....
Can't connect to: 217.128.39.29
Connecting to WhiteGhost's Server ....
Can't connect to: 80.133.207.150
Connecting to NCTU-Taiwan eDonkey Server ....
Can't connect to: 140.113.27.100
and so on, and on till it eventually runs out of servers. (Altho once upon a time it did connect to a few servers with some mp3's, but every search for anything I was interested turned up zilch.)

Help me, NU!!!
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-02, 05:22 AM   #2
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Default Keep your server.met up-to-date

Hi twinspan,

the most important thing in working with the donkey is keeping your server.met file up-to-date. It contains the list of servers that the donkey tries to contact.
Due to serveral reasons, the list of servers available on the donkey network keeps changing constantly. If your server.met is outdated, just can't find any servers to connect to.

One easy way to do this is to use Maurice's auto-updater batch to start the donkey. You can get it here:

http://www.thedonkeynetwork.com/cgi-...sion%202.0.zip

Hope this helps,
Stoepsel
Old 21-04-02, 08:28 AM   #3
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

I don't know what's wrong at your end Twinspan, but I just signed out, and restarted edonkey 4 times. Each time, I instantly got connected.
Old 21-04-02, 11:10 AM   #4
twinspan
- a rascal -

yeeha, thanks Stoepsie!

extracted that server list, followed the instructions and finally got connected to a server, and have d/l'ed a file! !!But now I have to disconnect because of a thunderstorm...

BTW, does eDonkey find files in your own shared folder? I did a few searches and they only seemed to turn up stuff I already had. Finally did a search for 'Madonna' coz I thought there would have to be plenty of files of hers out there and I know I don't have any. Search finally turned up some stuff I didn't have, but only 3 results?!?!
Quote:
Connecting to n/a ....
Placed on connection Queue.
Can't connect to: 80.128.76.202
Connecting to n/a ....
Can't connect to: 217.5.85.69
Connecting to n/a ....
server version 16.38
Supported by ServerMaker 2001 -> www.kickme.to/sm2001

This is a Testserver.
Check www.edonkey2000.com for updates.
Sending search.
Sending search.
Downloading: 20 - Lady Madonna.mp3
PS eDonkey2000 site still down, tho.
Old 21-04-02, 11:29 AM   #5
Stoepsel

twinspan,

after submitting your search, try hitting the 'Extend Search' button a few times. This will send your search to other servers that you are currently not connected to. This usually increases the search results dramatically.

Stoepsel
Old 21-04-02, 02:06 PM   #6
pod
Bumbling idiot

eDonkey works fine, and you'll get connected almost instantly now that the bot doesn't work. Maurice's Autoupdater works great, latest version is 2.0. Search for autoupdater on edonkey if you don't have it yet. And finally, edonkey is not that great for music, but you'll find lots of movies and software, this is mostly a result of its download mechanism.

Speaking of the bot, the author has bugged it and caused it to crash starting Apr 20 (that would be yesterday), supposedly to evaluate its impact by looking at how the network improves (or not) without it. There is a way to make it work again, but everyone is encouraged to chill while the situation is being looked at.

The good thing about the bot is that it will download new server lists from multiple sources and insert them into edonkey live, unlike the autoupdater which only works once, when you first start it.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-02, 03:55 PM   #7
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
I don't know what's wrong at your end Twinspan, but I just signed out, and restarted edonkey 4 times. Each time, I instantly got connected.
I think you have been using the bot so your server list is pretty up to date Usually it's the newbies to eDonkey that have a hard time because the server list that is included with installation is most likely way out of date. The bot is great for this and does it automatically. It's basically the only feature that I really use from the bot.

Twinspan, like stoepsel says try hitting the extend search button and then holding the enter/return key until it says no more searches to extend to in the bottom screen. Also, you should try using the website www.sharereactor.com if you haven't already. Edonkey is a nice program but it will test your patience. It is not uncommon to leave your computer on for a few days to get what you want, but it does have a larger selection then FastTrack and quicker que lines then WinMx.

Last edited by JohnDoe345 : 21-04-02 at 09:00 PM.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-02, 11:01 PM   #8
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default eDonkey. Hoax?

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
Speaking of the bot, the author has bugged it and caused it to crash starting Apr 20 (that would be yesterday), supposedly to evaluate its impact by looking at how the network improves (or not) without it. There is a way to make it work again, but everyone is encouraged to chill while the situation is being looked at.
I had been neglecting my eDonkey lately, and after reading of the test in the Zeropaid announcement (eDonkey Bot Crash) and the pro and con opinions on it, I decided to try running it manually myself. I had always relied on the eDonkeyBot and after updating the server list hit the connect button. It cycled through several servers before finding one to connect to. A couple of old downloads actually started!

I then went to the ShareReactor and started browsing, queued up several items. After seeing some uploads that appeared to be to a like minded individual I added him to "Friends" and browsed his shares. Bingo!! TV Ads and Bloopers!! Queued a bunch of those up. (Looked like he had downloaded from me before)

Anyway, to make a long story slightly shorter in the approximately. 48 hours since I have seen the following in the vicinity of my harddrive:

37 Ads & Videos_____(Mpeg\Avi\Mov)_________200MB

7 Albums____________(RaR\Ace)_____________430MB

14 Games & Add-ons__(RaR\Ace\exe\ISO\zip)__3.23GB
______

Total d/l_________________________________3.86GB

Incomplete_______________________________1.40GB
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-02, 12:10 AM   #9
twinspan
- a rascal -

Thanks for the tips, folks.

Re servers, I originally d/l'ed eDonkey in February, so a two-month old server list probably didn't help me any (the perils of a truly decentralised network, I guess, as opposed to pseudo-decentralised networks like FT).

Re results, I was trying extend search, with little luck yesterday. Maybe that was because I had connected to a Test Server. Today I'm connected to 'The Main Danish Server' and the same test query ('madonna') produces 200 results. And extending pushed it up to 373!

Re file types, I have to whine again about having a full hard drive (and no cd-burner on site), so for the moment, small music files are the only thing I can try d/l'ing. When I get a chance to burn some CD-Rs and make room, I'll have a go at movies etc.

And eDonkey200.com is finally back up, so I can check out the documentation/server info etc there.

Thanks, NU! (especially for not calling me a lamer retard )
Old 22-04-02, 02:59 AM   #10
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan
Thanks, NU! (especially for not calling me a lamer retard )
I had it on the tip of my tongue all along, but managed to restrain myself from that statement. But beware, I won't be so courteous next time!

Stoepsel