P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-04-02, 07:30 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

So There! Your gripes about popular P2P clients

WinMX has loads of results but the queues are a little disappointing.
eDonkey has massive content in the area of high quality DVD rips and programs but it's amazingly slow.
Blubster has a cult of fans who love the community atmosphere but it seems to have less than 7000 ppl online. It needs a boost from V2.0
Direct Connect has more content than anything else but the minimums are bit too high for most ppl on most but not all the hubs.
FastTrack has mostly small versions of movies and try to get major software programs on it. Not much choice.
The Gnutella network has many technical weaknesses so the improvements in the various proggies are neutralized to some extent.

I'm not complaining though cuz I appreciate all these programs and what they do for everyone (except the content owners):however none is perfect.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 09:03 AM   #2
JackSpratts

it's the same for me essentially. winmx is like waiting in line at the bank on a friday afternoon when you're not sure if they'll even cash the check when you finally get to a window. blubster is fast fast fast (the fastest right now) but shallow. grokster is the bomb but is explosively booby-trapped, and queues are increasing there too. xolox and gnucleus, my fav gnutellas, never want to start downloading anymore. audiogalaxy goes deep but crashes when i rt click it.

i must add however that these less than perfect clients have allowed me to compile a music archive that until recently i would've had to win powerball to acquire. no matter how much improvement they need I’ll always be amazed and grateful for that.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 11:18 AM   #3
HAL9000

well... time to develop FDMC (FastDonkeyMXConnect) then.
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 12:03 PM   #4
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

three of my gripes no-one's mentioned so far:
  • 'blanking' / 'copyright filtering' on AudioGalaxy
  • the decline in actual sharing (as opposed to number of users) on FastTrack since Morpheus went 'Gnorphleus'.
  • never connecting to a server on eDonkey
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 12:46 PM   #5
HAL9000

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan
three of my gripes no-one's mentioned so far:
  • 'blanking' / 'copyright filtering' on AudioGalaxy
I guess that's why AudioGalaxy is surviving till this day.
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 01:13 PM   #6
assorted
WAH!

My pet bitches:

WinMX crashes my machine with a blue screen of death every time it quits.

WinMx/Opennap community seems to be the shittiest community when it comes to sharing. Which is pretty ironic as that community always seems to have the most attitude. WinMX/Opennap has the longest lines to the point where I question why I bother to even try the program (and then I close it for another few months).

The latest Gnucleus also causes me a blue screen of death on exit; but otherwise seems exciting in terms of the supernodes. Though I find it easier to grab content using Gnucleus I haven't been thrilled by my search results. My gripe with all other gnutella clients is that they are not Gnucleus (i.e: not open source; for profit ninnies).

My pet bitch with DirectConnect is all those servers that want to ban DC++; a clearly much more stable client. The latest demands that DC++ users double their shares for each server they are on makes much more sense then just banning the client outright. Yeah to smart server owners.

I worship Audiogalaxy and have no bitch. Oh yeah, my bitch is I have to link new people to a "spyware-free" install. But other then that I bow and worship them. I only bother with anything else out of curiousity.

eDonkey proved too much trouble for me as a newbie to it but I might return to it when I want to bother putting in the effort.

Blubster had a great interface and gave me the results I needed; plus I was able to download. I downloaded a little but got frustrated at it's attempts to hash my mp3 collection as it was killing my machine and stalling while hashing. I put it away until a time that I could let it run and hash them all once and I haven't returned since.
Old 20-04-02, 01:47 PM   #7
ONEMANBANNED
Push "winky" ! Push!!!

they no come with instructions for dumb f`ucs like me
ONEMANBANNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 04:23 PM   #8
Scyth

Almost all P2P programs suffer from buggy and/or badly designed UI.
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-02, 05:59 PM   #9
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

So far there hasn't been one p2p program that I can use 100% of the time. I usually jump from one program to the next depending what type of file I am trying to get or what kind of performance I am hoping to get. There are always going to problems with any program even paid ones....can we say Microsoft
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote