P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-04-02, 09:52 PM   #1
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Arrow CD-RW Reverse Compatibility

I was thinking today about how neat my dad's 12 year old CD player is. Besides holding six discs at a time it also plays back CD-RW's. That seems strange to me since my dad got that thing long before CD-RW's were invented. How come they play on old CD players but not on new ones?

I bought my car CD player specifically because it advertised that it plays CD-RW's. How does it differ from the boom box in my room that doesn't play CD-RW's? I don't know, maybe my dad's CD player has a brighter laser or an extra sensative pickup that enables it to play CD-RW's. If that's the difference why doesn't my DVD player play CD-RW's? DVD players have very bright lasers and very sensative pickups to read the dense info on a DVD, it should be able to read a CD-RW.

Here's my consipiracy theory. Back when CD-RW was invented the scientists and engineers working on the project originally intended to make CD-RW's backwards compatible with old CD players because that's what they did with CD-R's. But their employers, the big CD player manufacturers like Sony and Phillips, decided to make two kinds of players: the new kind that can't play CD-RW's and cost the same price, and the old kind with a higher price tag and a spiffy new label that says "CD-RW Compatible."

I don't have a lot of evidence to support this claim, most of the CD players I have are pretty new except for my dad's player. Does anyone else have a CD player that's more than 10 years old? Try a CD-RW in there and see if it works. I'd like to know what you discover.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 10:40 PM   #2
thegame412

Default CD-RW

Very interesting. My stereo which i bought not even two years ago didn't play back CD-RW discs. (I say didn't play because the stupid thing doesn't play anything now. It was a $75 3 cd changer.) The stereo which a brought yesturday playes CD-RWs and mp3s and costs $200.00. I also have a really old CD player but it doesn't work either.
thegame412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 11:04 PM   #3
HAL9000

Old CD player relies on mechanical accuracy for tracking, new player uses tracking logic technology; detect and adjust at laser head more, mechanical parts no longer need accuracy, made CD player much cheaper.

Laser diode wattage was higher because of less sensitive laser detector.

Laser diode's wave length is different. new CD player has same wave length as DVD player (components sharing). wave length is selected to help detect layers; depth of reflective layers for DVD.

maybe...
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-02, 02:31 AM   #4
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Interesting Observation..

One I can confirm too..

A very old Phillips CD 460 player, WILL play CD/RW OK
My 6 year old Marantz CD52SE , WILL play CD/RW Ok

So I got a new Flashy hyped up Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI signiture
thinking, great, I'll be able to play all my temporary compilations

Wrong... The damn thing wont recognise them at all...

What HAL said about the mechanical accuracy & quality is probably true, you only have to take a look at the construction to see the quality of workmanship in the 10 year old CD's and you can see what they must have cost to produce.. Metal everywhere
todays plastic moulded junk, is so purile, but that the biz for you, make more profit, sell cheaper, never mind the quality jobbo.

Don't think its a conspiracy to charge more, ad CD/RW for PC are so cheap now, compared to the full domestic box, take a look inside and all the wide open empty space?

There will always be the Hi-Fi snobs to satisfy the high price units market, 10,000 bucks for a CD player hm... not me!

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-02, 04:01 PM   #5
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Speaking of this, anyone think I should buy a $90 (I think) portable mp3 cd player that can play cd-rws?
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-02, 06:08 AM   #6
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Why not...?

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
Speaking of this, anyone think I should buy a $90 (I think) portable mp3 cd player that can play cd-rws?
I definately would, BUT I'd take along a CD/RW of mine to review its performance FIRST... "What you won't let me try it with MY CD?" Sorry Pal... No sale...

Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-02, 03:17 PM   #7
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Well, it's Meijer.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-02, 09:42 PM   #8
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

I thought that they now have cd-rw's that can play on most standard cd players. I remember seeing this cd-rw somewhere but I don't remember where and if it works. Anyhow, it's worth looking into if you don't want to spend the money on a new cd player.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-02, 01:10 AM   #9
petriburg

Default multi-compatibility

Well, all is not exactly lost. A number of DVD players on the market now are truly multi media compatible - they will play (redbook compliant) audio cds, cd-rs, cd-rws, dvds, and .. yea ... mp3s, while not costing the earth.
Friend of mine has one of these machines, and transfers all her mp3 stuff on to cd-r in mp3 format, saving storage space on her hard drive while still being able to play all the stuff on any old hi-fi, depending on how the machine is hooked into the audio chain.
Seems like the way to go, if anyone's thinking of a (smallish) investment in new hardware.

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote