P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 15-04-02, 08:38 AM   #1
colinmacc

Default Slyck Predicts the End of FastTrack

Slyck.com's latest news story appears to be almost an obituary to Kazaa and the FastTrack network.

I believe this to be a bit premature: With all the spyware-free options available, in many languages, I think there's life in the old dog yet..

Comments anyone?
colinmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-02, 09:35 AM   #2
JackSpratts

premature is right colinmacc. i don't know what planet those guys are living on (anyone here write for them btw?) but the reason fasttrack is so popular is not because it's cool or a great place to hang, it's popular because it's best at doing what people need it to do - complete their downloads. if and when gnutella gets better at this game than fastrack, gnutella will dethrone kazaa/grokster. forget about the 2nd network - the avg user doesn't know and when told doesn't get it. when he finally gets it he doesn't care. only when bde affects his downloads will we see any real migration off the primary network, but the kazaa group would have to be stupid to ruin the effectiveness of their system. why would they do that? they'd be left with nothing. bde is an insurance policy against the day (soon perhaps) the courts shut down the primary network. if that happens then unlike napster, they'll have a "legitimate", operating 2nd network already installed, already working and already making money. but until then it's the tail wagging the dog. if fastrack is shut at least they'll have something, but the real money will be in keeping today's users as happy as they can within that framework.

remember what they say about real estate? you can apply it to p2ps - download, download, download. enable that and you've just about done it all.

sure a few of us may migrate, who knows. but we won't see huge numbers fleeing this party to go another one tha't worse. gnutella/winmx/blubster have a long way to go before they can unseat the dutch.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-02, 01:14 PM   #3
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

sure a few of us may migrate, who knows. but we won't see huge numbers fleeing this party to go another one tha't worse. gnutella/winmx/blubster have a long way to go before they can unseat the dutch.

- js.
At the rate they "dutch" are going they will unseat themselves I'm sure of it.
Greed overpowers any and all respect for the people "users" that got them where they are today. They have made that rather clear already with all the bullshit they package with their client. It scares me to see what is next
I see more of a change in p2p right now moving to specialized networks. Cuz if you count the # users that are not on Fastrack it far out numbers the amount that are on Fastrack.
Fastrack is as large as it is because it is simple and popular not because it is that good. It is where the newbies go....after getting their feet wet people tend to move elsewhere.
AweShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-02, 01:19 PM   #4
nickroberts

I enjoyed reading your post Jack.

I agree. I think it's premature and wishful thinking on the part of the author of that article. Why would anyone switch to another program when Kazaa gives them:

1) Ton of users
2) Ton of files
3) Fast Downloads
4) Great Resume Features

I am not trying to be a commercial for Kazaa. I've tried them all and none of them are up to the Fast Track Network.

Two other thoughts I would love for you guys to comment on:

1) Did the removal from Download.com really hurt distribution? I still see a steady amount of an increase in users. (Over 1.7 mill over the weekened...wow)

2) Did Morpheus die quick or what? No 2.0 as promised, a steady decrease in downloads and a ton of unhappy users. I have never seen a company die so fast!

Thanks,
Nick
nickroberts is offline   Reply With Quote