P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-04-02, 10:42 AM   #1
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

Default Is the problem with SlavaNap, or what? (Techie input required)

After a new 60gig Hard drive installation, and complete reinstall of XP, I now find that I can run my computer without crashing for long periods (this is 5 days up continuous).

I have had a connection to dns2go running for 3 days, without problems, and WinMx 2.6 running for 2 days with transfers ongoing.

I then installed SlavaNap and the computer began locking up again.

I can't work out if it is being blocked by my ISP (i've tried ports 3456 and 8888 both separately and together) or if it's in conflict with anything that running at the same time: ZA, AVG & MS messenger.

After SlavaNap has been running for about 10 minutes, the computer begins to "lock up" i.e. no mouse movement and the server appears to stop, but this is only for 10-20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of normal use. Then the internet connection is lost, dns2go reports "broken connection" and I have to reboot in order to regain control.

Anyone any ideas?
Old 14-04-02, 10:55 AM   #2
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Wish I could help?

I would love to say... "Yes I know the answer to your problem"
but alas no, I have a similar thing here with OpenNap, the symproms you describe almost match mine, except mine never gets to the total lockup stage, just get into the "Jerky mouse" state, and the system clock goes slow, so I put it down to resource managment in the DOS based code, I wish I knew more about such things.

What I can suggest is install a memory watcher program, this will allow you to view resources and memory usage, in real time.

MemoryWatcher 4.1 is good, but its shareware & times out in 30days, if you can find 3.2 that keeps going all the time.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for you to PM me with an email address?

Finally hve you tried cutting down the max connections of Slava
to about 20-30 this might be an easy fix for now?

All the user file lists are stored somewhere in memory, maybe as the napsterites servers seem to have more than average files per user than most other servers, its just running out of resources.

Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 11:23 AM   #3
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

Thanks for the input, Snark: I'll have a go at reducing user numbers to say, 10 then increasing.

I had forgotten that I still had email hidden; that's corrected now.
Old 14-04-02, 02:15 PM   #4
Smoketoomuch
freak

I'm in server problems... I only know about a good memory-leak prog I use for half a year now, and it works great. Its also freeware - mine says trial version, but I don't see any downsides of it... But in order to work make sure you don't check any of the "tweak" options - mine crashed when I did. Its called RamIdle, here is a link for newest version:
http://ftp.idg.pl/download.asp?sys=pc&id=693

and the version I use, if the above version proves to be shareware or something:

http://www.tar.hu/smokie/Stuffz/ramidl9x.exe

Old 14-04-02, 05:01 PM   #5
HAL9000

I cannot reproduce problems I'll try more...
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-02, 06:23 PM   #6
pod
Bumbling idiot

SlavaNAP has a known memory leak introduced by the Borland C++ compiler. It doesn't always manifest itself, but I know my node, which handles about a 1000 users is only good for two weeks or so before a reboot is needed. Killing the process doesn't help much, as the OS doesn't seem to reclaim ALL memory, so slowly there is less and less available, and everything gets slower over time.

Hmm, I doubt this is a problem with a 50 user server however.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote