P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-04-02, 03:56 PM   #1
petriburg

Default so which is the p2p program of choice?

Paying great heed to what my peers have posted here, I have duly gotten rid of KaZaa and Grokster, and purged my system of all the nasties therein embedded by the wicked BDE witch. So now I am left with Blubster and WinMX, and a whole lot of patience- testing queueing, and downloads which would not even qualify on the last row of the grid in a formula 1 snail GP.
Do I mean slow? Well, yes, if you call 0.08KB/Sec. slow. That goes for both progs., at all different times of the day. I'm still on dial-up connex, but I used to get much better downloads than this.
My ISP dishes out internet in 4hour blocks, and no matter what's happening on my puter, on the stroke of the fourth hour, its whammo, and up comes the dialog box "your connection to ... has been broken". This weekend, I tried, almost continuously, to download (one at a time) two songs. Neither download completed within the 4 hour block!
My question, then, is this. What is the most likely p2p program to give me some complete downloads? Is there a "safe" one?
(Using Win98SE, 384MB RAM, Zone Alarm, and oh, yes, 800MHz cpu)

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 04:03 PM   #2
Smoketoomuch
freak

Maybe eDonkey2000 in combination with eDonkey Bot? Try it out - if you are looking for MP3's don't search for music, search for "any", since many full albums are zipped on the donkey. I haven't tried anything else besides that and the ones you mentioned... And it has the surest downloads ... its "hashing" system guarantees that there would be no file losses... even if your connection is broken, you can resume your downloads where you left....
Old 08-04-02, 04:20 PM   #3
nickroberts

I would be honored to put my two cents in.

Despite all the bad publicity Kazaa has gotten, I still am convinced it's the best p2p network out there.

The community is so large and vast, even the most obscure song can be found.

And the system works so well, my downloads are lightning fast.

You can download Kazaa 1.6, (download without any add ons) clean the Brilliant system with the B2B killer, clean the cydoor out, remove the Bonzi button by right clicking, and the software is clean.

Or download Kazaa lite. (I personally don't like it, it crashes on me)
nickroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 05:05 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

I agree that FastTrack is still the best thing going...I'm using Grokster, but I keep it squeaky clean with the new AdAware version and running fine with the dummy .dll file...
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 07:35 PM   #5
HAL9000

FastTrack is good especially with BDE... by your command, all clients could send all shared files to you. you don't have to download anymore.

I guess not many KaZaa users know about BDE, so It's good for a while. I'm ok with MX.
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 07:44 PM   #6
kevogod

Default KaZaA Lite is the best!!

BDE is evil... more evil than Cydoor!!! BDE has the ability to turn on your computer at anytime. It is like netbus.. except for the RIAA to look at what you are doing. Get rid of you KaZaA....(It was removed from CNET because it violated it bundled software policy with the Brilliant Digital software)

Go to www.kazaalite.tk or www.refosearch.tk and follow the instructions on how to get rid of your spyware and install the KaZaA Lite application. KaZaA Lite is the best.

KaZaA Lite
P2P: The Way It Was Meant to Be
Old 08-04-02, 08:07 PM   #7
JackSpratts

ah youth

hi kevo and welcome to napsterites. we've actually heard of kazaa lite before, believe it or not, but thanks for the tip anyway! it's always nice to get buzzbombed with good advice. we're just not sure it'll make any difference.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 08:20 PM   #8
napho
Dawn's private genie

Just get the programs here. KaZaa Lite, iMesh, AudioGalaxy, AquaLime. That's a hell of a start.

http://cleanclients.150m.com/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 08:30 PM   #9
VWguy
Japanamation junkie

Kazaa lite and Audiogalaxy.
Imesh now and then.

I have had no problems with any program in '98 or 2k.

Thanks for the link napho, easier to find the cleaned ones now.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. -Robin Williams

Your future in a nutshell.
VWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 09:36 PM   #10
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
ah youth

hi kevo and welcome to napsterites. we've actually heard of kazaa lite before, believe it or not, but thanks for the tip anyway! it's always nice to get buzzbombed with good advice. we're just not sure it'll make any difference.

- js.
I don't recall bombing anyone.

BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 11:13 PM   #11
JackSpratts

carpet bombed?
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 12:45 AM   #12
DJHyperbyte
http://www.opennap.cc

Myself, I use TekNap the most, but that's probably because I'm not here for getting and sharing files, but the for the adminning stuff.
If you would want try TekNap, feel free, it's the most powerful client around, yet, very hard to learn and get used to.

However, TekNap is an OpenNap client. That's where my preferance goes to: OpenNap.

I have KaZaA installed, use it for downloading big files. Never for music tho, cos I hate 128bit quality. Never got really botherd to install something else while it all goes great....

I get my music from OpenNap, and yes, I use TekNap for that. One of the best OpenNap clients, in my opinion, is audioGnome. Most people would say 'WinMX' is better, yes, maybe it has a better interface, but if you'd look at WinMX from the admin side, then it's crap.

MasterNap !
DJHyperbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 12:48 AM   #13
MomK

[quote]Originally posted by nickroberts
[b]I would be honored to put my two cents in.

"You can download Kazaa 1.6, (download without any add ons) clean the Brilliant system with the B2B killer, clean the cydoor out, remove the Bonzi button by right clicking, and the software is clean."

WHAT IS CYDOOR? HOW DO YOU CLEAN IT?
Old 09-04-02, 05:42 AM   #14
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

Hi Petriburg.
Using spyware-free Grokster most of the time, with spyware-free AudioGalaxy Satellite as a back-up for finding more obscure music.

Hi Kevogod,
Been following the developments on the KazaaLite forum and I can't wait for GroksterLite. Good luck!

Hi Momk,
Cydoor is adware that comes with Kazaa and a few other programs. To make things difficult for us Kazaa decided to make their prog stop working if it didn't find a Cydoor element on your PC. But it's quite easy to remove and replace with a dummy (Kazaa is smart enough to look for the file, but will actually accept any file with the same name.)
For easy instructions adn evrything you need, go to Kazaa: Behind the Scenes and click on Spyware, or install a spyware-free version like KazaaLite (links in posts above).
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote