P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 05-11-02, 09:06 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Shareaza starts it's own network- Gnutella2

At least they realize Gnutella blows. Hallelujah!!!

Introducing Gnutella2
We've heard our users complain about Gnutella. Now we're doing something about it. Gnutella2 is a new, more advanced protocol which operates along-side G1, delivering true global searching, more reliability and other powerful features. Forget FastTrack, WinMX or anything Donkey. Gnutella is back better than ever.
The Ultimate Library
We've re-designed Shareaza's library so you can manage your files easier and access them faster. Virtual folders, albums, TV episodes, integrated search, metadata cross-referencing, multi-source thumbnailing -- its the most sophistocated file libary manager you'll find anywhere.
Sexy New Media Player
Play Music and Video right in Shareaza. Faster than Windows Media Player, with even more options! Full playlist support. Preview files while you download them, including DivX movies!

http://www.shareaza.com/download/beta.aspx
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-02, 02:30 PM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

angela from slashdot
writes "A Windows (and somewhat WINE compatible) Gnutella client, Shareaza, has released a public preview of its next version which includes a re-designed Gnutella protocol they call "Gnutella2". Gnutella2 (or "G2") dumps the Gnutella broadcast model and uses a new global searching method with UDP connections. It also features compression to limit hub-to-hub (G2 Ultrapeers) bandwidth, Tiger Tree Hashing etc. Shareaza has released a small description of the revised protocol here-->http://www.gnutella2.com/, but plans to release a full spec to the GDF after the release of v1.7 Final. Gnutella2, which is really a revised Gnutella protocol, will also be free and open for anyone to use in their clients. Shareaza and G2 may give Gnutella - an open and free P2P protocol which has been struggling to keep up with the times against Kazaa, eDonkey and other P2P spin-offs - the stability and power it needs to attract the closed and commercial FastTrack Network users when or if the network folds."

article:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/06/1316251

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-02, 03:18 PM   #3
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Good news? That remains to be seen.

Thaks for the link multi.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-02, 03:54 PM   #4
RIAAEnemy#1
Apprentice Napsterite and Music worshipper

so far from testing shareaza 1.7b I have noticed that it does connect faster than previous version but the content is still lacking.
I am always l00king for a g00d music review/music community(f0rum),
If y0u kn0w 0ne, PLEASE pm me a link.
RIAAEnemy#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-02, 05:20 PM   #5
napho
Dawn's private genie

The speculation is that the new network is growing rapidly.

Exploit Systems is reporting

"The Gnutella2 network, which uses a new peer-to-peer file sharing protocol included in the Shareaza 1.7 beta release, has become the fastest growing P2P network in the world. As of this morning it is the sixth-largest P2P network, exceeding Overnet and Blubster.

Tests by Exploit Systems reveal that more than 85,000 concurrent users are connected to the G2 network, which was first opened to the public a mere two weeks ago. Concurrent usage is expected to top 100,000 nodes by the end of week and all signs point to G2 usage surpassing the original Gnutella protocol by December.

Created by Shareaza programmer Michael Stokes, the G2 protocol has been surrounded by controversy since its debut. Some members of the open-source Gnutella Developer's Forum criticized Stokes for releasing the Gnutella Protocol improvement without the group's consent. But users don't seem to care.

Like the FastTrack network used by KaZaA and Grokster, G2 designates certain users as hubs which improves the speed and efficiency of searches. Unlike FastTrack and other distributed networks, G2 allows users to search across all hubs, exposing the entire contents of the network.

The result is quick, productive searches, fast multi-source downloads, and happy end users.

The current Shareaza beta is not listed at CNET Download.com, and the Shareaza web site does not reveal its total installed user base, so one can only speculate on the total number of people who have downloaded the program. However by allowing a user to search across 85,000 or more simultaneously-connected computers, the G2 network is currently more efficient than "classic" Gnutella by a factor of twenty, and already rivals the FastTrack network in its reach, despite a much smaller user base".
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-02, 05:37 PM   #6
JackSpratts

after reading stokes' white-paper on the protocol i've got to say it sounds intriguing. with that in mind i'm d/l'ing the prog and will be running it soon. if it really does go deep (i no longer care so much about going wide) and it handles resources & bandwidth efficiently it could become the defacto client for p2p, and that would be a strong step forward for file-trading, open-source networks and the reigning in of copyright luddites.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-02, 07:53 PM   #7
JackSpratts

beta test first impressions...slept through math, early onset alzheimer’s

easy set-up. nice interface.

i thought i had a lot of stuff jammed into my hd but shareaza tells me i'm sharing 4294967295 files. that's four point two nine billion. i wish. i've actually put up 900 for now and let me tell you it takes a long time to hash them. it's like blubster that way.

- js.
Old 20-11-02, 10:24 PM   #8
JackSpratts

still hashing. figure 200/hour. found a few files and i've hit some fat pipes - i've d/l'd about 20 things quickly and u/l'd 7 with shareaza/gnutella2 clients and regular gnutellas. be forewarned: it's a phenomenal memory hog (400megs to zero in 15 mins!) so get free ram or similar but it shouldn't use much in the way of your cpu's (under 30% here). i like this program so far and as more people run the g2 client it can only get better. gotta fix the memory tho.

crashed at 2.5 hours.

corrected file count at reboot.

can actually watch the memory drain.

- js.