P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 27-02-07, 09:10 AM   #1
albed
flippin 'em off

Al Gore - Energy Pig

Quote:
In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.
http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/...article_id=367
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-07, 10:48 PM   #2
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

I don't really understand why so many people are skeptical of global warming or climate change. It's really very simple. Here are some facts.
1) Our climate is always changing. It just happens very slowly.
2)Global warming and cooling are always happening. The earth has gone through periods of warming and cooling throughout it's history.
3)Carbon dioxide is a "greenhouse" gas and humans are pumping tons of the stuff into the air daily.

I just don't understand whats so debatable. Maybe how much humans actually contibute to global warming. We certainly do contribute to the changing of our climate. It's a matter of how much impact we want to have. I personally would like to leave the world less polluted for my children and grandchildren. I don't want to leave a mess for them to clean up. I don't want to leave the next generations a fucked up world because I couldn't make a few simple changes to my personal lifestyle.
P2P Consortium
vernarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-07, 12:22 AM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

You're right on all three points, Vernarial. But consider this: water vapor, the most potent greenhouse gas, is also the one greenhouse gas over which we humans have almost no control. For that reason the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change considers it prudent to completely ignore the effects of water vapor on climate change. That's not just unscientific, it's plain stupid. But this is typical of environmentalism; it is unthinking, unquestioning, and paranoid. I am not skeptical of climate change, I'm skeptical of the doomsday predictions these people preach from their academic cathedrals.

Skepticism is healthy, it keeps us from jumping to conclusions and, if sufficiently widespread, it prevents mobs from forming, mobs like the "consensus" among scientists that has transubstantiated global warming from a scientific field of research into a religious dogma. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the desire to make the environment more livable and more comfortable, but people shouldn't make the mistake of building belief structures around that desire, especially ones that claim to be scientific.

Though you may consider yourself an environmentalist, Vern, you're not like most of them from what I can tell. You're more of an environmental steward like me. Unlike you, though, I don't see any use in overstating the problem. This sense of urgency we're subject to isn't due to continuing increases in emissions but to our own short life spans. Because none of us will live long enough to affect substantial, positive change in the environment in our lifetimes, we all feel the need to cause drastic changes before we bequeath the earth to our children. This is the natural response to our own sense of mortality, but it's also the worst possible way to approach the problem. The best solution is not a one time fix, it's a perpetual process, one which future generations can continue after we're gone. And in order for us to discover that solution we must trust that future generations will be able to decide on their own what's best for them. The current environmentalist movement doesn't see things this way, unfortunately.

Last edited by Mazer : 28-02-07 at 12:38 AM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-07, 05:31 AM   #4
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
I don't want to leave the next generations a fucked up world because I couldn't make a few simple changes to my personal lifestyle.
You gonna quit breathing? Yeah you're contributing to the buildup of CO2 every time you exhale you selfish hypocrite.

As for me, I don't think it's bad to have a warmer planet. But notice how the alarmists have lately tried to replace the term "global warming" with "climate change" in order to manipulate people who think that way.

There's a long history of petty power seekers using excuses like global warming to get themselves the power they crave. The Kyoto Treaty would have had an insignificant affect on global warming but they take every opportunity to use it against their political opponents.

Nuclear power could have reduce the possibility of global warming significantly along with a lot of pollution if petty politicians hadn't used opposition to it as a stepping stone to power.

More recently the blocking of new oil field development has not only increased the price of oil but also the use of coal with its much greater environmental impact.

In short, the more the power hungry rabble rousers meddle in the natural course of economics the worse they make the world. And they've got a lot of meddling planned for global warming.
Old 28-02-07, 08:31 AM   #5
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

Quote:
You gonna quit breathing? Yeah you're contributing to the buildup of CO2 every time you exhale you selfish hypocrite.
I would consider this to be more than just a simple change. I have made a few simple changes that haven't really affected my lifestyle and plan on making more changes in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Though you may consider yourself an environmentalist, Vern, you're not like most of them from what I can tell. You're more of an environmental steward like me. Unlike you, though, I don't see any use in overstating the problem. This sense of urgency we're subject to isn't due to continuing increases in emissions but to our own short life spans. Because none of us will live long enough to affect substantial, positive change in the environment in our lifetimes, we all feel the need to cause drastic changes before we bequeath the earth to our children. This is the natural response to our own sense of mortality, but it's also the worst possible way to approach the problem. The best solution is not a one time fix, it's a perpetual process, one which future generations can continue after we're gone. And in order for us to discover that solution we must trust that future generations will be able to decide on their own what's best for them. The current environmentalist movement doesn't see things this way, unfortunately.
Maybe none of us individually can affect any substantial positive change, but if more people made the little changes we could have a substantian positive effect. I'm not talking about drastic sudden changes. I'm talking about Us(human race) as stewards over our one and only planet. We need to take a little better care is all. There are some small solutions we can implement on a personal level that will start to help. I trust future generations to know better the problem and it's solutions, but I am not willing to just sit and wait for them to fix our(and previous generations) mess. If we have some limited knowledge of the problem and can see some minor solutions that might help the problem I don't see why we should sit on our hands waiting for the next generation to implement. Sure we should let them decide whats best for them, but they don't know yet. It's like a parent who doesn't make his kid clean his room hoping that someday that child will decide that a clean room is best for him.
P2P Consortium
Old 28-02-07, 09:11 AM   #6
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernarial View Post
I have made a few simple changes that haven't really affected my lifestyle and plan on making more changes in the future.
So what are these secret changes? If you can't do the math and figure what difference it would make if everyone did them I can help you.

I suspect it wouldn't amount to squat though and you're only doing some bragging for yourself rather than something worthwhile for the environment.
Old 28-02-07, 07:43 PM   #7
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed View Post
So what are these secret changes? If you can't do the math and figure what difference it would make if everyone did them I can help you.

I suspect it wouldn't amount to squat though and you're only doing some bragging for yourself rather than something worthwhile for the environment.
Like changing my lightbulbs to flourescent. Like walking or riding a bike to work instead of driving. Like being a bit picky about whose products I buy. Simple easy things.
P2P Consortium
Old 28-02-07, 09:24 PM   #8
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Like changing my lightbulbs to flourescent. Like walking or riding a bike to work instead of driving. Like being a bit picky about whose products I buy. Simple easy things.
Each of those things have economic benefits as well. There is no one alive who doesn't want to reduce their electric bills and make fewer visits to the gas station. Given their druthers, most people would volunteer to do such things and you're proof.

The thing is that industrial and commercial energy usage and pollution is at least twice that of non-commercial/household energy usage and pollution. You and all your neighbors could turn on all your appliances and leave all the lights in your houses burning 24/7 and the power company wouldn't notice much. You probably don't even use as much electricity in a whole year as Google uses to power its many data centers in just one week. If every American made the changes to their lifestyles that you've made it would be a good start, but lets not kid ourselves. Guilt alone will not carry us far enough to solve the real problems we're facing. Keep on keeping on if it make you happy, but only industrial sized changes are going to make a difference.
Old 01-03-07, 07:49 AM   #9
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Seems like the simple easy things you'd do even if there weren't environmental benefits. To be sure, just how far is the walk to work?
Old 28-02-07, 06:35 PM   #10
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Quote:
We certainly do contribute to the changing of our climate. It's a matter of how much impact we want to have. I personally would like to leave the world less polluted for my children and grandchildren. I don't want to leave a mess for them to clean up. I don't want to leave the next generations a fucked up world because I couldn't make a few simple changes to my personal lifestyle.
Anyone who utters a syllable of argument against this point of view and is still able to refer to themselves as a "conservative" with a straight face is either a fool, a liar, or both.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-07, 07:17 PM   #11
Nicobie

Originally Posted by vernarial
We certainly do contribute to the changing of our climate. It's a matter of how much impact we want to have. I personally would like to leave the world less polluted for my children and grandchildren. I don't want to leave a mess for them to clean up. I don't want to leave the next generations a fucked up world because I couldn't make a few simple changes to my personal lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone View Post
Anyone who utters a syllable of argument against this point of view and is still able to refer to themselves as a "conservative" with a straight face is either a fool, a liar, or both.
I sure agree about this.

Let us try to keep this personal, like doing our best to not consume.
Old 06-03-07, 03:05 AM   #12
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
in fucking deed!

and those pics drak posted are hillaryarious. lol
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-07, 10:41 PM   #13
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

You folks in the U.K. better start preparing yourselves for the big "Global Warming Tax Pingo"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-07, 05:57 PM   #14
albed
flippin 'em off

Ah, a fine day of xc-skiing two days before spring. I want a refund on my global warming tax.

Still Waiting For Greenhouse (A Lukewarm View Of Global Warming)
Old 26-03-07, 02:56 PM   #15
romanticguy50
LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Glad To Here It

Also Post At ZeroPaid
P2P Consortium and Slyck
romanticguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-07, 11:34 PM   #16
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

Quote:
Ah, a fine day of xc-skiing two days before spring. I want a refund on my global warming tax.
Here they are closing the resorts early. I'm not saying it's because global warming, but this is the warmest year I remember. The globe must be warmer(at least in my area) this year.
P2P Consortium
Old 27-03-07, 11:51 AM   #17
albed
flippin 'em off

Damn, lower 80's today. The weather sure is changing fast now. Better hurry and get the air conditioner in the window.
Old 27-03-07, 06:28 PM   #18
albed
flippin 'em off

Even the liberal mass media gave a brief squawk about the criticism of Al Gore's energy gluttony. But they wouldn't even make a peep about another public figures energy consumption.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/...ming022807.htm
Quote:
The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.

Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

No, this is not the home of some eccentrically wealthy eco-freak trying to shame his fellow citizens into following the pristineness of his self-righteous example. And no, it is not the wilderness retreat of the Sierra Club or the Natural Resources Defense Council, a haven where tree-huggers plot political strategy.

This is President George W. Bush's "Texas White House" outside the small town of Crawford.

partial reprint from the Chicago Tribune from April 29, 2001.
Old 17-04-07, 06:35 AM   #19
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Here they are closing the resorts early. I'm not saying it's because global warming, but this is the warmest year I remember. The globe must be warmer(at least in my area) this year.
How's the "warmer" in your area now?

About 20*F colder than normal for the last 2 weeks where I live. I'm not saying it's because of global cooling but this is the coldest spring I remember.

I used to look forward to global warming ending winter earlier but it's not working out.
Old 17-04-07, 01:37 PM   #20
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

The weather guys all predicted a foot of snow for Friday last week. We didn't get any. Then they predicted rain all day yesterday and this morning. It didn't start raining until after midnight and we got a total of half an inch at my house. I'm not saying meteorologists are any worse than astrologers at predicting the weather but... Oh wait, yes I am.

Last edited by Mazer : 17-04-07 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling