P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-05-22, 06:35 AM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Peer-To-Peer News - The Week In Review - May 28th, 22

Since 2002

May 28th, 2022

NetEase Cloud Music Officially Sues Tencent Music for Pirating its Songs
Efe Udin

According to NetEase Cloud Music, it has formally initiated judicial proceedings against Tencent Music. The company is suing Tencent for unfair competition and for illegally pirating songs and batch-washing songs under false names. A series of measures to implement acts of unfair competition. Even though we all admit that unfair competition occurs from time to time in business, there are few fields that are as dead as Chinese online music due to unfair competition.

For a long time, Tencent Music Entertainment Group (including QQ Music, Kuwo Music, Kugou Music, National K Song and other products) has illegally played unauthorized songs. NetEase claims that it has been faking songs in batches and copies its product innovation. Here are the main complaints that NetEase has against Tencent.

Top 3 infringements

1. Malicious infringement of copyright

a. QQ Music pirate broadcasts through the “regional play” function

NetEase Cloud Music claims that for a long time, QQ Music, a subsidiary of Tencent Music Entertainment Group, repeatedly lists its popular works without authorization. The company claims that after filing for rights protection, QQ Music had to change tactics. QQ Music then targets Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hangzhou areas. In other areas where it knows NetEase was not looking, it continues to pirate and release NetEase’s products.

From a provincial level, QQ Music cannot play NetEase Cloud Music’s rights-entitled songs in Beijing, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, and Guangzhou, Guangdong. However, it can be played in Xi’an, Jiangsu, Suzhou and other provinces and cities;

From the same provincial-level region, taking Zhejiang Province as an example, under the circumstance that QQ Music cannot play NetEase Cloud Music’s rights and interests songs in Hangzhou City, all other ten prefecture-level cities in Zhejiang Province, such as Shaoxing, Huzhou, Jiaxing, Ningbo, Zhoushan, etc., all have illegal acts of secretly releasing the songs involved in the case.

The number of infringing works pirated by QQ Music in different regions is huge. In addition, they are all popular songs on the NetEase Cloud Music platform. QQ Music’s behaviour violates copyright and seriously violates business ethics. Its behaviour ignores laws, regulations, and business ethics. Its subjective maliciousness is obvious.

b. QQ Music secretly releases NetEase’s works through the “Import External Playlist” function

For unlicensed songs, QQ Music has developed the function of copying and re-importing the link of its platform’s playlist. It can then replay and download the original playlist.

Take the popular song “Displacement Time and Space (Ai Chen)” as an example, the search on the QQ music station shows “no sound source”. However, after copying the playlist link and importing it (the import playlist link contains y.qq.com), you can playback and download the song.

QQ Music pirates copyright-free works by “importing external playlists”. Such a piecemeal and sneaky move damages the rights and interests of musicians. It also infringes copyright and destroys the fragile mutual trust between the industries.

c. Tencent Music batched unlicensed popular songs with fake names and malicious interception

For a long time, Tencent Music’s QQ Music, Kugou Music, and Kuwo Music have produced a large number of impostor and song-washing works for unauthorized works.

In 2020 alone, Tencent Music successively launched a large number of fake songs of the same name for popular songs. The chorus part of nearly a thousand songs is the same or similar to the original song.

For example, after the “Delete Bar” launched by NetEase Cloud Music Cloud Studio and Shensheng Culture, a large number of songs with the same name and different lyrics appeared in QQ Music and Kugou Music. We have things like “Delete Bar” (official version), “Delete Bar” (new version), “Deleted Bar” (original singing) and “Deleted Bar” (Tik Tok Hot Search Smoke Voice Version), etc. All these are just malicious ways to pirate the song.

Even the names of the singers of some of the fake songs are “high imitations” of the original singers. For example, in a product of Tencent Music Entertainment Group, the musician “Lao Fan next door” is written as “Lao Pan next door”. Under the “Lao Pan next door”, QQ Music lists all the works of “Lao Fan next door”. Thus, it misleads users to click and listen.

What’s more, some companies under the Tencent Music Entertainment Group are even more purposeful and organized to participate in the song-washing industry chain. As long as NetEase Cloud Music releases a hit song, Tencent Music’s three products will not only directly pirate the original song but will also intensify its efforts to launch a large number of shoddy songs with the same name. In fact, this happens within a day or two after releasing the new song.

2. Long-term plagiarism of NetEase Cloud Music’s visual design

a. QQ Music, Kugou Music, Kuwo Music plagiarized NetEase Cloud Music vinyl play page design

Since its official launch in April 2013, the unique vinyl playback interface is the core design of NetEase Cloud Music products. The company also has relevant design patents. In October 2020, the iPad version of Kugou Music updated the playback interface. The new vinyl interface design is very similar to the NetEase Cloud Music vinyl playback interface.

In March 2022, the Kugou Ringtone App and Kuwo’s 2496 App also used a similar design. In April 2022, the updated version of QQ Music also provided a vinyl playback interface. The design concept and interface are highly similar to NetEase Cloud Music vinyl page.

b. Kugou Music and QQ Music plagiarize NetEase Cloud Music’s “Listen Together” function

In July 2020, NetEase Cloud Music officially launched the “listen together” function. Thanks to the cloud village community atmosphere and unique interactive experience, “listen together” quickly became a feature that was widely praised by the industry and popular with users. In January 2021, Kugou launched the “Follow and Listen” function. Its function settings and page interaction design can be called pixel-level plagiarism of NetEase

In February 2021, QQ Music updated the “Music Room・Listen Together” function, and the function name was “Listen Together” with NetEase Cloud Music. In August 2021, the 10.16.5 version of QQ Music also directly renames the “music room” to “listen together”.

3. Kugou Music copied NetEase Cloud Music’s “Yunbei Push Song” function setting and interface design

In April 2020, NetEase Cloud Music launched the “Yunbei Push Song” function in version 7.1.10 to support users to promote their favourite songs. Three months later, Kugou Music also completed the follow-up and launched the “music push” function. It once again carried out pixel-level plagiarism from NetEase function settings and interface design.

Over the years, Tencent Music Entertainment Group has carried out unfair competition against NetEase Cloud Music and the entire online music industry. It also has a long time, wide scope, various means and tragic consequences.

According to the “Anti-Unfair Competition Law of the People’s Republic of China”, “The Copyright Law of the People’s Republic of China” as well as other relevant regulations, NetEase Cloud Music has filed a complaint against Tencent Music Entertainment Group (including QQ Music, Kuwo Music, Kugou Music and other products).
https://www.gizchina.com/2022/05/17/...ing-its-songs/

TikTok has Changed Music — and the Industry is Hustling to Catch Up
Mia Venkat

Tyler Colon played college basketball. He won an MTV reality show. He's tried podcasting, modeling, and acting. But in 2019, he got serious about pursuing music.

"After singing in my car for, like, six months for an hour and a half every single day, I released 'Stuck In The Middle,'" he said.

He put it up on TikTok under his stage name, Tai Verdes. At the time, he was working at a Verizon store.

"I saw other people like me that had no following end up on the radio," he said. "And when you see that happen multiple times because of one app, it's kind of like 'a-duh', you know what I'm saying? Like, why not?"

Before he knew it, he was fielding calls from presidents of record labels during his lunch break. He got a record deal, made a debut album, and is currently on a 22-city tour across America. "Stuck In The Middle" has been streamed well over 100 million times on Spotify.

TikTok has flipped the script on the music industry, and everyone from artists to analysts and even marketing bosses at the top labels are hustling to catch up.

A new way to listen

Verdes thinks he would have made it without TikTok, but he also noticed that his fans on the app were especially engaged. They would go from his TikTok to his Spotify page or his YouTube channel.

"You just made this video, you have this song, you have this melody that they really like. They want to go get that. You just gave them something," he said.

Verdes isn't the only one to notice this trend, and that TikTok users interact with music differently.

"They're not just listening to music in a sort of, like, lean-back, passive way," says music industry analyst Tatiana Cirisano. "They're more likely to do more lean-forward activities, like creating playlists or listening to full albums on streaming or buying merchandise."

Consumer behavior data compiled by Cirisano shows TikTok users are more likely to spend money on music, and be more invested in it. 40% of active TikTok users pay a monthly subscription for music, compared to 25% of the general population. And 17% buy artist merchandise monthly, compared to 9% of the general population.

What's more, TikTok users often respond to music with their own videos, using features built into the app design. They might lip-sync a song, make up a dance, or try to sing it.

"It's changed music listening from being a one-way relationship where a song comes out and you listen to it on your own, to something that you participate in," Cirisano said. "I mean, I don't think that any other social media app has done that to this degree. TikTok is peak UGC in that way."

UGC — short for "user-generated content" — is one of the buzzwords currently going around in the music industry.

Nina Webb is the head of marketing at Atlantic Records and said when she first started out in the industry, it was a bit simpler.

"It used to be a puzzle for a 3-year-old. You had video and radio," she said. "And you just needed money and leverage and influence as a label. And now I feel like it's the 1,000 piece gray sky where TikTok is the only piece that will individually move the dial the way it does."

Webb knows exactly what she's talking about. Last August, an Atlantic Records artist named Gayle released a song called "ABCDEFU."

They promoted the song on TikTok a lot, but it didn't really take off until months later when the sign language sub-community of TikTok got a hold of it in the middle of Gayle's tour.

Note: This TikTok post includes profanity in lyrics and sign language that some might find objectionable.

"She saw the difference from playing at the beginning of the tour, when people, like, somewhat kind of heard this or looked it up, to by the end — I mean, it was like the whole place was going crazy," Webb said. "So November was really the tipping point, and it was 100% the sign language community."

That user-generated content made all the difference for Gayle. Her song sat at No. 1 on the Billboard Global 200 chart for 11 weeks.

Buying influence and getting lucky

These days, there's a cottage industry dedicated to marketing a song or artist on TikTok — paying influencers to promote a song, posting short clips to see what people respond to, trying to get a dance challenge going. With 1 billion monthly active users now on TikTok after a surge in downloads over the pandemic, it's not hard to see why.

Webb says she's certainly tried different strategies, but most times when a song takes off on TikTok, it seems to happen organically.

"I mean, there's a million examples of a lot of very expensive campaigns that had no return," she said. "Like, we can't do it. It has to come from fans or the artist because you're talking to Gen Z. They smell everything out."

Sometimes those fans work in unexpected ways. Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" came out 25 years ago but earlier this year set one-day streaming records on Spotify and YouTube after lip-syncing the most dramatic part of the song became a viral TikTok trend.

Or take the song "Snowman" by Sia. That came out in 2017, but the TikTok challenge came in 2020, where people posted videos of themselves trying to sing the entire chorus in one breath.

Analyst Tatiana Cirisano says the music industry used to hunt for unknown talent and develop it. But the rise of TikTok has helped to flip that formula.

"I think that we are increasingly in an era where audiences are choosing what they want to hear, and record labels and the rest of the music industry are sort of listening to that," she said.

The risk of burnout

There are downsides to this too, though. TikTok might create opportunities for musicians, but some artists feel that they have to constantly be "on". Creator burnout is real.

"There's kind of this fear, I think, for people that have built huge followings on TikTok that if they stop at any point, people will just stop following them or they'll forget or they'll move on," Cirisano said.

"At times, people's attention spans are shorter and just the content trend doesn't stop."

Damoyee is a 21-year-old an independent music artist/content creator from Dallas, Texas. She is a composer, producer, singer, songwriter, and she plays a lot of instruments.

She posts a lot of covers and remixes of other songs, usually trending ones. And it's a lot of work. A minute-long TikTok usually takes around six hours to create.

"I know starting out, it took me a little less than a week to get 100 followers," she said. "And I remember, like, seeing one-zero-zero, I freaked out. I thought, hey, I'm famous, you know? I was grateful," Damoyee says with a laugh.

Sometimes a video flops, and sometimes it takes off. But Damoyee says that she generally feels TikTok helps boost musicians like her. That doesn't make it easy.

Damoyee is learning to balance her school work, personal life and the social following she's trying to build.

"It's definitely been a bit of a challenge and it has taken a toll, you know, especially on my mental health," she says. "I've gone, at the latest ... a month without posting because I just needed to breathe."

"I will say for now, the goal is to thrive as an independent artist without looking at any labels at the moment and to still build a platform to the point where I would feel comfortable releasing music alone," she said.

In other words, she hopes to find that perfect balance between cultivating her online following and making music. And when she does, she's hoping she won't have to ask the traditional powers in the industry for recognition. They may call her first.
https://www.npr.org/1080632810

Watching Less TV could Cut Heart Disease, Study Finds

About 11% of cases could be prevented if people reduced TV watching from two or more hours to less than an hour a day
Nicola Davis

More than one in 10 cases of coronary heart disease could be prevented if people reduced their TV viewing to less than an hour a day, research suggests.

Coronary heart disease occurs when fatty material builds up inside the coronary arteries causing them to narrow, reducing the heart’s blood supply. Researchers say cutting down on time spent in front of the TV could lower the risk of developing the disease.

“Reducing time spent watching TV should be recognised as a key behavioural target for prevention of coronary heart disease, irrespective of genetic susceptibility and traditional risk markers,” said Dr Youngwon Kim, an assistant professor at the University of Hong Kong and an author of the research.

While the team did not look at what was behind the association, Kim said previous studies had found excessive TV viewing time is associated with adverse levels of cholesterol and glucose in the body.

“Unfavourable levels of these cardiometabolic risk markers may then lead to increased risk of developing coronary heart disease,” he said.

Writing in the journal BMC Medicine, Kim and colleagues report how they used data from 373,026 white British people aged 40-69 who were part of an endeavour known as the UK Biobank study.

None of the participants in the team’s study had coronary heart disease or stroke when recruited to the UK Biobank. However, the researchers found 9,185 cases of the disease in participants through national death registry and hospital admission records up to autumn 2021.

The study suggests that – after taking into account the genetic risk of coronary heart disease, calculated for each participant, as well as factors including body mass index, age, sex, smoking status, diet, amount of physical activity and level of deprivation – the greater the amount of TV watched, the greater the risk of developing coronary heart disease.

Compared with people who watched four or more hours of TV a day, those who watched an hour or less had a 16% lower risk of developing coronary heart disease, while for those who watched two to three hours a day the risk was 6% lower.

The researchers say the trend held across all ages and all levels of genetic risk – although those with a higher genetic risk of coronary heart disease had a greater risk of developing the condition.

However no link was found between the amount of leisure-time computer use and the risk of coronary heart disease, possible down to factors such as greater reliability in recalling TV viewing, snacking while watching TV, or TV watching tending to be more prolonged and uninterrupted.

Assuming the TV watching is driving the rise in coronary heart disease risk – a link the study cannot prove – the team estimate about 11% of coronary heart disease cases could be prevented if people cut their TV watching to less than an hour a day, even after accounting for genetic risk and other factors.

Naveed Sattar, a professor of metabolic medicine at the University of Glasgow who was not involved in the work, noted the findings may overestimate the benefits of cutting TV time on heart disease risks.

But he said: “There is abundant other evidence that increasing activity time by replacing time spent sitting helps lower body fat levels and prevents weight gain, improves blood pressure and blood fat levels, and lowers diabetes risks. All such improvements, in turn, are known to lessen heart attack and stroke risks.”
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...se-study-finds

Larger-than-30TB Hard Drives are Coming much Sooner than Expected
Desire Athow

Inside of hard disk drives are platters which hold all your data; these are all manufactured by one company in Japan called Showa Denko which has announced it expects to “realize near-line HDD having storage capacity of more than 30TB" by the end of 2023.

Deciphering that statement, we’d assume it will provide platters with a storage capacity of more than 3TB, sometime in 2023, to partners such as Toshiba, Seagate and Western Digital, who will then produce the hard disk drives, targeting hyperscalers and data centers operators.

We’d expect some of them to end up in NAS and 3.5-inch external hard drives, but that won’t be the main target markets, as performance is likely to be optimized for nearline usage.

Race to 30TB

Showa Denko has now started shipment of the platters that will go into new 26TB Ultrastar DC HC670 UltraSMR hard disk drives announced by Western Digital only a few days ago.

A 2.6TB platter - which uses energy-assisted magnetic recording and shingled magnetic recording - also marks an important milestone as it hits the symbolic 1TB/in^2 density.

Showa Denko’s announcement comes as a surprise as Toshiba recently suggested 30TB drives (rather than higher capacities) would not come until 2024. A 30TB model would comprise of 11 platters with 2.73TB capacities each, a slight improvement on the 2.6TB capacity that are on the way.

Given the fact that 26TB HDDs have now been announced in the first half of 2022, there’s a remote chance that we could see 30TB drives before the end of the year or (as the saying goes), depending on market conditions.

20TB drives were the storage industry's previous "big target" with plans to launch hard disk drives of this capacity first dating from 2017. Back then, Seagate said it wanted one out by 2019; but we had to wait until the following year for a release, with mass production entering full swing in 2021.

Seagate has remained quiet about its 30TB plan since September 2021, but we know it will be based on HAMR technology, which is different from EAMR, as it uses heat to increase the amount of data being written.

The company also has ambitions to launch a 50TB HDD in 2025, so for now, watch this space.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ted/ar-AAXM1Pj

Appeals Court: Florida Law on Social Media Unconstitutional
Curt Anderson

A Florida law intended to punish social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter is an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment, a federal appeals court ruled Monday, dealing a major victory to companies who had been accused by GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis of discriminating against conservative thought.

A three-judge panel of the Atlanta-based 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously concluded that it was overreach for DeSantis and the Republican-led Florida Legislature to tell the social media companies how to conduct their work under the Constitution’s free speech guarantee.

“Put simply, with minor exceptions, the government can’t tell a private person or entity what to say or how to say it,” said Circuit Judge Kevin Newsom, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, in the opinion. “We hold that it is substantially likely that social media companies — even the biggest ones — are private actors whose rights the First Amendment protects.”

The ruling upholds a similar decision by a Florida federal district judge on the law, which was signed by DeSantis in 2021. It was part of an overall conservative effort to portray social media companies as generally liberal in outlook and hostile to ideas outside of that viewpoint, especially from the political right.
https://apnews.com/article/politics-...bd6c68b61ad055

Until next week,

- js.

Current Week In Review

Recent WiRs -

May 21st, May 14th, May 7th, April 30th

Jack Spratts' Week In Review is published every Friday. Submit letters, articles, press releases, comments, questions etc. in plain text English to jackspratts (at) lycos (dot) com. Submission deadlines are Thursdays @ 1400 UTC. Please include contact info. The right to publish all remarks is reserved.

"The First Amendment rests on the assumption that the widest possible dissemination of information from diverse and antagonistic sources is essential to the welfare of the public."
- Hugo Black