FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 11-03-04, 06:43 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up George Michael abandons music business

Quote:
BBC:

Pop star George Michael is abandoning the music business to release his songs online for free instead.

The multi-millionaire singer said he will never make another album for sale in record shops because he does not need the cash and does not enjoy fame.

Fans will be given the option to make donations online in exchange for downloading the tracks, and the proceeds will be given to charity.

He is promoting his latest album, Patience, which he said is his last.

The 40-year-old star made his announcement during an interview with Jo Whiley on BBC Radio 1.

Speaking about his decision, he said: "I'm sure it's unprecedented, it's definitely unprecedented for someone who still sells records.

"I've been very well remunerated for my talents over the years so I really don't need the public's money."

He added that he hoped people downloading his music would donate to his favourite charities.

'All the negativity'

Explaining his decision, the former Wham! frontman said: "It does two things - it takes the pressure off to have a collection of songs every so many years, which is what nearly killed me.

"I'm not pretending I won't be famous any more, but in the modern world if you take yourself out of the financial aspect of things, you're not making anybody any money, you're not losing anybody any money.

"Believe me, I'll be of very little interest to the press in a certain number of years.

"I'll hopefully be a happier man, giving my music and also doing something really positive with my music if people are generous enough to donate to the site. I'll remove myself from all that negativity."
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 06:27 PM   #2
JackSpratts

good find tg!

that's just about the most amazing thing i've heard a mainstream musician announce since the birth of napster back in '99!

kudos to micheals and those that follow him - it may be the best thing they could do for themselves and their careers. any artist making music i want who does this and quits their riaa label will hear from me - and my wallet, and i know i'm not alone in this. it’s certainly an enlightened approach, but it’s also enlightened self-interest in the best sense of the phrase. it's a very positive development.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 12:54 AM   #3
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Agreed. Kudos indeed.

Michael hasn't released anything great (IMO) for over 4 years, but I reckon his die-hard fans will be well-chuffed.

A move in the right direction.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote