P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-04-02, 10:03 AM   #30
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Hi guys/grrlz I just had an idea...it may just have been a brain fart I will leave it to my very nimble and adept associates to decide whether or not it indeed is an idea or not.

First off some background please look at this link by Indiana on another board http://pub45.ezboard.com/fmorpheusfr...picID=30.topic

And then there was one more idea...but I seem to have now forgotten what it was :\ sad i know so the rest of this will basically be my "rant" so to speak.

Okay here is the deal with me. I am not a programmer but I have what I would say is a "keen" mind (your opinion of this may vary) and I have found that sometimes in my life there are problems or complexities that totally beleaguer me and my puny wit just cannot fully grasp the concept of something then at a certain time however sometimes much later I soon achieve Nerdvana in that I can now understand or grasp a formerly unfamiliar concept.

with that said I must make mention that currently I am not a programmer but due to my interest in this puzzle piece that I call KaZaa I am doing my best to learn as I go and probe deeper into the mysteries of this "proof of concept" application. Speaking plainly my love of a mystery prompts me to investigate it and therefore I want to learn what makes this program tick.

Indiana Jones has offered some good clues in the form of the registry entries and values and I myself have seen this "magic" four digit number changed when connecting to a certain ip address which I have recorded elsewhere. It is one of the servers ran and owned at least it was registered Niklas Zennstrom when I did a whois inquiry....now get this I tried Indie's reg trick on an old morpheus 1.33 client that didn't have the bde installer wrapped around it...and Using my dial-up connection ( i think it's important to note my connection type as somehow the fasttrack clients are able to determine your bandwidth in the regulation of who becomes and ultrapeer/supernode) and my Ulitimate firewall (or at least it used to be Windows Nt breaks the logging function in it) Atguard 3.22 I was able to keep a list of all the connections and attempted connects by the morpheus 1.33 client (using the reghack posted on VLaibb's site (ran by Indy I believe) and I was able to record the exact Ip address that cause the message "Your client is too old to connect and needs to upgrade"

I will post this ip if you are interested but I do not support the idea of DDos'ing this ip address as that would be wrong and there are better ways to get around this by working with the program code to find the upgrade mechanism's on/off switch and either yank it out or permanently turn it to the off position.

I'm trying not to post to much in one posting....forgive me and bear with me please.

Basically the point of this post is that There is a supernode controlled by KaZaA that gives the notice. Also this is done in realtime meaning I was viewing the key in regedit at the time of the connection to the ipaddress that caused the value in the registry to modified...

Now my question to the board is this: Are there any freeware or shareware applications that can Protect your registry or lock it from real time modifications (not accesses such as read functions but write functions only?)

I hope this information is useful.

-Harbynger
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote