P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 21-05-03, 12:33 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Want To Know If A Band’s On An RIAA Label? Now You Can

How many times have you wondered if that excellent new Indie band is signed to a label in the dreaded RIAA evil empire? If you’re like me, too many. Since I make it a point to avoid purchasing music that will benefit the RIAA and their oppressive tactics, it's something I take seriously - but I’ve had little to go on when it came to finding out if my money would wind up in their pockets – until now.

A new product called RIAA Radar has been released that claims to detect RIAA member labels with a simple click, as long as you’re checking at Amazon.com.

“The RIAA Radar is a tool that music consumers can use to easily and instantly distinguish whether an album was released by a member of the Recording Industry Association of America,” says the site magnetbox, and they continue, it’s easy to use too,

“1.Add the RIAA Radar bookmarklet to your bookmarks/favorites list.

2. Go to any album's detail page on Amazon.com you would like to check.

3. Click the "RIAA Radar" bookmark!”

Since the RIAA controls about 90% of the music most people purchase the odds are stacked against you that your new discovery isn’t on a member label. However, there’s always the nice surprise when you find one that's not - and you don’t have to feel culpable about buying the CD and supporting them.

Now if only it worked with your favorite Peer-to-Peer too...

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-03, 09:51 AM   #2
brute_force

I didn't know java links could be added to the favorites. Is there a way to link to them for others?
brute_force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-03, 05:15 PM   #3
assorted
WAH!

ewww

matador records is an riaa member. gross.
assorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-03, 01:00 PM   #4
assorted
WAH!

or maybe not... i'm amusing myself over here:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/forums...=&threadid=550
assorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-03, 08:07 PM   #5
JackSpratts

lot of great stuff on subpop over the years. still, one has to take a stand at some point and if they're members i couldn't support them. i mean the comment that how a label promotes and supports an artist is "all that counts" is self serving or more than a little naive. to begin with, how the hell is an average record buyer supposed to know how fairly a label treats an artist? we'd have to hire detectives and accountants just to begin. but regardless, any riaa member label can withdraw from the group if they want to, if they feel it's important. knowing the present circumstances and how people feel, they can't pretend surprise because customers are repulsed by what's going on. who wants to support an organisation that's killing web radio, trashing the bill of rights and giving congress your money to make felonies out of home taping and lending?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote