P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-12-02, 11:23 AM   #1
theflaco

Default IMesh speed questions.

How comes that when I start dl from an user the speed is very good ( 180 kb/s) in the beginning but slows down after a few mins (to 12 kb/s)?
This happens only in IMesh and with speeds over 100 kb/s.
If I disconnect & connect again the same happens.
I use IMesh Clean.

TIA

theflaco
theflaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-02, 12:03 PM   #2
zombywoof

Last edited by zombywoof : 05-01-03 at 01:08 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-02, 01:24 PM   #3
JackSpratts

as oscar says your sources are dropping in and out constantly due to factors that aren't totally clear to me. network congestion possibly playing with the algorithm. add that to the fact that one or more of your hosts' bandwidth goes up and down due to demand and you've got non linear downloads.

keep an eye on the bottom where your actual hosts are displayed and when you see one who's fast browse his files. once you get him directly you should at least stay as fast as he is.

if it's raw speed you want there are faster networks, but they're more limited in selection. shareaza is getting interesting. this is the client/network to watch. could become wide and deep - as well as fast.

- js.

JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-02, 01:34 PM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

That's very strange to me because it's the opposite here. iMesh finds sources on it's own network first then gets faster as it adds additional sources from the FastTrack network.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-02, 01:37 PM   #5
JackSpratts

could depend on the node. i don't know. but sometimes the speeds are all over the map, during a single download.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-02, 05:52 PM   #6
cuda

Imesh uses fasttrack and only fasttrack there is no imesh "protocol".
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-02, 05:58 PM   #7
napho
Dawn's private genie

It connects to Fasttrack but pools it's own users. Kind of confusing really. It sounds a little like what Bearshare does. It connects to it's own first then other gnutella clients.

"There's been much speculation regarding iMesh's participation in the FastTrack network. To immediately clear things up, iMesh does connect to the FastTrack network. The user count one reads, typically over 1.2 million, is the amount of iMesh clients currently connected to the network. While being its own independent pool of users, the network of iMesh users also communicates with KaZaA and Grokster clients. "
Old 23-12-02, 06:06 PM   #8
cuda

Quote by SlyckTom in a zeropaid forum

iMesh connects to the FastTrack network, plain and simple. The number you see on the bottom of the client is the number of iMesh clients connected to the network. I can't account for the number discrepancy between the KaZaA and iMesh clients. I suspect the number you see on the KaZaA client only represents KaZaA and Grokster users. Since iMesh doesn't have any official deal with FastTrack, it’s possible that the number discrepancy is their way of not recognizing iMesh....

That being said, off to the other part of the article that apparently makes no sense...

"There's been much speculation regarding iMesh's participation in the FastTrack network. To immediately clear things up, iMesh does connect to the FastTrack network. The user count one reads, typically over 1.2 million, is the amount of iMesh clients currently connected to the network. While being its own independent pool of users, the network of iMesh users also communicates with KaZaA and Grokster clients."

It seems people are putting too much emphasis on the term "independent". The word "independent" is used to distinguish iMesh users from Grokster or KaZaA users. Even though they all connect to FastTrack, iMesh is an independent (1.3 million) group of users.... hopefully that clears things u
Old 23-12-02, 06:14 PM   #9
napho
Dawn's private genie

My take on it is just that they search their own users first, then broaden their searches to include Kazaa and Grokster clients. Everytime I look at a download it starts off with maybe 2 users, then all of a sudden the # of users jumps to 7 or 8. Never gradually so i figure it's starting to search other clients rather than it's own pool . iMesh makes a download manager based on it's core business and could easily organize it's searches that way.

http://imesh.net/
Old 23-12-02, 06:18 PM   #10
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

My iMesh speed increases or decreases constantly during a download, depending on how many online users I am getting the file from.

You people should speak plain english.
Old 23-12-02, 06:23 PM   #11
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
My iMesh speed increases or decreases constantly during a download, depending on how many online users I am getting the file from.

You people should speak plain english.

Of course it varies during the course of a download (especially if you have a really fast user and then lose him) but invariably I start off slow and get fast in a real hurry, the opposite of theflaco.
Old 23-12-02, 10:07 PM   #12
zombywoof

Last edited by zombywoof : 05-01-03 at 01:03 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-02, 11:10 PM   #13
ONEMANBANNED
Push "winky" ! Push!!!

Kinda like my bedroom wrestling matches

whoa! I think I just uploaded
ONEMANBANNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-02, 05:49 PM   #14
cuda

Yeah i Guess your right napho, because you always seem to be right regarding P2P. (submits defeat)
Old 25-12-02, 03:55 AM   #15
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda
Yeah i Guess your right napho, because you always seem to be right regarding P2P. (submits defeat)

I'm certainly not always right and we really weren't arguing anyway. Too bad we couldn't help theflaco though.