P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-11-02, 05:02 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Rolling Stone Fires 2nd Salvo At Recording Industry

Regardless of whatever you think their motives might be, you gotta love this stuff. From today's NY Times:Link
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 09:04 PM   #2
JackSpratts

the music industries’ reaction to the internet will go down in the annals of bad business moves alongside ibm ceding an operating system to ms and xerox giving up its’ gui’s. worse even. while those two companies are still around if battered, the computer industry itself is pretty healthy. not so with music. not only are the labels rushing towards their collective demise but an entire industry is falling along with them, right into oblivion. not that i mind. it’s a healthy development for the culture but it’s shocking to watch nonetheless. rolling stone can take out a full page 'i told you so' ad in the times from now ‘till next years grammy’s but it won’t make a difference - heads will have to roll before this industry changes. the people running the labels apparently won’t or can’t convert to the paradigm and to top it off don’t even have a lot of smooth buds in washington anymore (with the new g.o.p. majorities) who can stand listening to them whine.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-02, 08:41 AM   #3
greedy_lars
everything you do

umm dont think zero paid is quite accrurate. I bet their gettin some $ off banners and popup windows. the shame.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-02, 11:46 AM   #4
theknife

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars
umm dont think zero paid is quite accrurate. I bet their gettin some $ off banners and popup windows. the shame.
you think the ZP article was a fake? hmm...dunno a way to check it online. being an ad and not an article, it would not have been in the NYT's online edition...
Old 19-11-02, 04:19 AM   #5
justed

Default And, recording industry fires back...

Quoted from… wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,56435,00.html

Self-described Hollywood "fat cat" Peter Chernin… president and COO of the News Corporation, and also as chairman and CEO of the Fox Group… Chernin will propose that effective antipiracy technologies will pull the tech sector out of its economic slump, by encouraging more and different kinds of digital content… In the long run, the piracy of content may hurt the technology business more than it affects the media business… I have no illusions that any protection devices are going to be perfect… The key to a tech sector revival is solving Hollywood’s piracy problems.

Maybe he reads The NY Times?
justed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-02, 06:16 AM   #6
theknife

Default Re: And, recording industry fires back...

Quote:
Originally posted by justed
Quoted from… wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,56435,00.html

Self-described Hollywood "fat cat" Peter Chernin… president and COO of the News Corporation, and also as chairman and CEO of the Fox Group… Chernin will propose that effective antipiracy technologies will pull the tech sector out of its economic slump, by encouraging more and different kinds of digital content… In the long run, the piracy of content may hurt the technology business more than it affects the media business… I have no illusions that any protection devices are going to be perfect… The key to a tech sector revival is solving Hollywood’s piracy problems.

Maybe he reads The NY Times?
Maybe so, but he's not getting the message. From the same article:

Quote:
"People say it's a bunch of fat cats in Hollywood getting what they deserve. Sure, there are a few fat cats, like me," he joked. "But there are thousands and thousands of people involved in the creation of content. Their careers are absolutely being affected."
The people who are involved in the creation of content will continue to do so regardless. The people involved in the sales and distribution of content are the ones being affected. So be it - that's what technology does.

You can be sure that if guys like Chernin could apply technology that would replace these thousands of people while keeping their current business model, they would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 19-11-02, 09:01 AM   #7
JackSpratts

Default Re: Re: And, recording industry fires back...

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
You can be sure that if guys like Chernin could apply technology that would replace these thousands of people while keeping their current business model, they would do it in a heartbeat.
dead on.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote