P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-12-02, 08:37 PM   #1
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Mad Soulseek Icon In Taskbar Is Gone, Session Going On, I Need It Back. Help!

It looks like explorer created another instance of itself, and all the taskbar icons are gone.

I configured Soulseek with the deadly configuration: minimize directly to taskbar, and NOT to refresh periodically.

So now I'm flying "blind". I can't access the program, although I know it's working looking at my GoBack log, which is crazy all unto itself.

I don't wanna restart the comp because that entails losing 200+ places in the queue, prob another 10 hours, also crazy.

So, my question is: Does anyone know how to restore the Soulseek icon without restarting Windows and Slsk?

I'm using Win 98SE.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Thread rendered moot by evil system.

Windows won. Again. My dial up stack blew up in flames, so I restored the icons by brute force.

Of course, now it's about 7-10 hours to complete the last song.

Right now I'm thinking about the best way Bill Gates could use his ample christmas tree, inflicting acute pain on his own anatomy.

Just feeling that grinch christmas spirit.

Last edited by spstn : 17-12-02 at 11:16 PM.
spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-02, 03:03 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

I recall a program that restores systray icons if that's what you need.

http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/tray.htm

What does it do for me?
To keep track of many tray icons you may hide those that you don't need all the time. You can still access such hidden tray icons in the context menu of 12-Tray.

12-Tray will also restore tray icons after a "crash" or restart of the taskbar (which in fact is displayed by the module explorer.exe, aka Windows shell). Usually the taskbar comes up after a crash without any tray icons. You had to stop and restart all related programs to restore the tray icons. Now, 12-Tray will restore tray icons automatically.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-02, 11:33 PM   #3
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

GrinYes Forum Firefighter Of The Year (Again)

Thanks Napho. I'll never run against you for that honor.

I'll look into it. I've used another tray manager that drove me crazy, and made explorer crazy.

I run and absolute tight ship with 98SE. My record is a 36 hrs session with Slsk w/out crashes, and right now rarely crashes. I have it lean, spartan, even franciscan. I start with selective start up, 94-96 % free resources, that should give you an idea how stripped down the system is.

So I'll look into it, if it doesn't make "lean & mean" unstable, the automatic restoration of icons make it a keeper.

This situation w/slsk is the first since the end of October when I installed it, so it may turn out to be just a freak happenstance.

There is some negative interaction between IE-Explorer and slsk when there are several connections open at the same time, but so far nothing unmanageable.

By the way, that last song took two sessions/days to get it, and it sucked big time.

Rather fitting, one could say.

PS: I still would like for Bill a healthy dose of pain and suffering, dough.
spstn is offline   Reply With Quote