P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-08-02, 06:20 PM   #61
JackSpratts

glad you like it RIAAEnemy#1. welcome aboard!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-02, 08:11 PM   #62
JediForce77
A Jedi's Strength Flows From TheForce.net

Peace Some Ideas

User search, so you can search for a trustworthy user. With that goes a HotList.
Searches by Ping, and number of files shared.
If you are like Kazaa, maybe a feature to 'hop' nodes
Customizable interface? maybe (skins)
Usable browser, with an Address bar
Chat - Possibly integrate the "Messengers" into the program.
Just think napster, for basics

Sounds GREAT what you are about to do. hope it comes out nicley
JediForce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-02, 03:35 AM   #63
multi
Thanks for being with arse

welcome to napsterites RIAAEnemy#1
welcome jedi ...
(A jedi2 player maybe?)
hey.....looking foward to trying the alpha
of this project...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 11:33 AM   #64
Gutrguy
Semiblind

Default alpha/beta

Ill be willing to be one of the testers...

Ideas....
User Rating System - That way if a person decides to be an asshole leach, you can rate them as a "leeching fool" If someone shares shitty files, misnames files, you could rate them as "Bunk-er" (as in sharing bunk/fake files) If you spot someone sharing one of those shitty mp3.vbs file, lable them as "User is a Virus" as to let others know not to download from this user. Also include good rating options for the users who keep your network up and running. Some sort of user rating system where you can tell who you can download from and who you should stay away from would be a great addition.

It would be nice to have some sort of Java IRC in the program where the registered user name is used on a IRC server. Also have only 1 chat room, so anyone that wants to chat can talk to EVERYONE, and not be segregated boy any means. If you want some more info on the jIRC idea, PM me and we can work something out.

Some sort of availability feature would be cool too, say you search for Lord Of the Rings, and you return 50 different files. All files with the same hash could be codences into 1 name, with stars, or some other graphic next to the title to show that lots of people have this file rather than just a few.

Have some sort of help and support page in the program, I like to keep my open windows to a minimum, so why not make a tab in the program where you can have a programmer based FAQ, and maybe a forum where the programmer actually communicates with the users. Also a user based help and support forum section. Forums that are media specific so users can find out about new and different artists, the newest movies that are out, etc.

Some way to tell how far back in a que you are. I dont like the idea of having a higher priority for ques.....that seems like it would make some users feel like they are not as important as other users, and if you are trying to build a good "community" atmosphere you want everyone to feel like they are doing their part and that they are important, because if they dont feel like they are importand (ie: you want them there) they will go and find some other program and that will be one less user on YOUR network.

Keep the install program as small as possible, users dont like bload-ware / spy-ware / ad-ware in the programs.

You could have 2 builds of this where the standard download has AD Suppors (but no kind of tracking, spyware) and then have a "Pro" version where the user donates your company a small sum of money and you have the ads removed. Some sort of security feature would be needed for that, i dunno how hard that would be...just something to think about.

IM and hotlist type features sound great.

Skin-a-bility would be really cool

If there is a way that you could set it up so that when you want to preview a file, it will open in the computers default application for that program, wheather a user likes to use WMP, Real Player, Winamp, or the DivX Playa....That way you dont have to worry about programming in a player.

Some kind of Media Manager, so a user can create folders, rename files, and move files between folders would be good. This would also help cut down on lots of open windows and also save the user some (even if a little) some of their system memory and processing power.

Thats about all i can think of for now... Good luck with the programming.

Gutr
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 05:24 PM   #65
JediForce77
A Jedi's Strength Flows From TheForce.net

Peace Re: alpha/beta

Quote:
Originally posted by Gutrguy
User Rating System - That way if a person decides to be an asshole leach, you can rate them as a "leeching fool" If someone shares shitty files, misnames files, you could rate them as "Bunk-er" (as in sharing bunk/fake files) If you spot someone sharing one of those shitty mp3.vbs file, lable them as "User is a Virus" as to let others know not to download from this user. Also include good rating options for the users who keep your network up and running. Some sort of user rating system where you can tell who you can download from and who you should stay away from would be a great addition.
Sounds like a good idea ...But...Well if that was the case then every jackass in the world would be dishonest and disrespectful... wouldn't you(all) agree, the net is full of people just itching to skrew someone over.
JediForce77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 10:09 PM   #66
Gutrguy
Semiblind

Default Re: Re: alpha/beta

Quote:
Originally posted by JediForce77

Sounds like a good idea ...But...Well if that was the case then every jackass in the world would be dishonest and disrespectful... wouldn't you(all) agree, the net is full of people just itching to skrew someone over.
I was thinking more along the lines of something that takes a few shots before the rating shows up...also so you can only rate another user 1 time, that way someone isnt sitting there having a "user rating war" with another.
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 05:23 AM   #67
Mowzer
'

Any type of "rate the user" or don't let users download if they don't share, is a good feature in P2P-can-do-anything-o-ramma land.

However from the development view, the time spent wasting could be used to implement other important features and design added features.

Brining anything new to a P2P client is a good thing. But it should be useful to the user ultimately.

Blocking mechanisms only frustrate new users. Its also never long before your client or network is reversed, and someone releases another with out all the leech locks.

There are many better ways to encourage growth of sharing and discourage leeching.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 11:06 PM   #68
MOTAR the imperious

Something needs to be done to streamline efficiency while searching. Something needs to be done to reduce the stray clutter of packets that are not actually doing the work of transferring files.

-- More accurate search tools so that users can find what they want the first try.

-- Quickest possible search results from each user. Detailed indexing by categories/sub- usergroups/common interests/Swap lists (based on want lists).

-- Minimize searching the whole available crowd (whenever possible) and maximize searching smaller user groups with common interests.

-- Better user control as to what is offered vs. what is available
--> Want lists could dictate whether files are available (such as... "you can have choice of my files if you have something I need"

Basically the "anything goes" chaos causes too much bandwidth clutter that chokes out dial-up users.

The P2P application 'Ares" has a great idea with making each user a mini-web host. With just the users IP address you can access a web page on their computer and download files directly without all the wasted packets going back and forth from searching.

What "don't" users need?

-- They don't need HTML panes in the corner popping up ads.
-- They don't need built in players and viewers.
-- They don't need spyware/stalkware or malware of anykind built-in
-- Preferably it needs to be an open source tool. Make all your money selling ads on your homepage, not pushing them down the users throat every time they run your program.
-- Users don't need hidden crap and downloads going on without controls or protections in place. (Possibly even build in virus filters, script filters etc,)

Mti
Old 11-09-02, 12:56 AM   #69
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

whatever happened with this?
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 06:53 AM   #70
Teclis

Im working on it,since Im back from holidays
Old 12-09-02, 07:08 AM   #71
donaldducko

It is 3 months now since you posted your message, I don't know how far your project has evolved.
There is something I think is important and which I would like you to consider.
I like WinMX a lot, for example, but there is one thing which I don't like in it : that is the multitude of buttons, especially on the recent versions.
What are the use and the practical advantages of having a user interface which looks like the inside of an airplane cockpit ?
A very substantial part of the surface area of the WinMX window is been taken up by controls. This is not an efficient use of available space, in my view.
Maybe a basic rethinking is necessary. Look at the menu system used by Windows and usual programs. As much as Windows is been decried in some quarters, a huge amount of thinking and conceiving has no doubt gone into it and its system of menus, if used intelligently, I believe is still probably the best solution for creating a user-friendly, yet efficient control panel.
This is one of the factors I think is desirable in another new filesharing program.
donaldducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 10:32 AM   #72
JackSpratts

welcome to the forum don, hope you enjoy the ideas.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote