P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 16-09-02, 05:21 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up Interesting WinMX interview on Slyck

http://www.slyck.com/newssep2002/091402b.html

Kevin Hearn, President of Frontcode technologies, shares interesting technical details about the workings of WinMX. He explains the reasons why they stopped the support for version 2.6 WPNP, and addresses the queuing problems which are probably the greatest cause of dissatisfaction among WinMX users.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-02, 09:45 AM   #2
nanook
just one of the gang...

it's nice to see these interviews with the mysterious winmx tech-heads, but i didn't really see any info that our own tech-heads, hadn't already figured out, a while ago.
it's too bad they won't get more involved with their growing community.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-02, 01:44 PM   #3
JackSpratts

the question they need to address is not why there're long queues on winmx per se but why the winmx queues are so much longer than the other mainstream apps. for instance fasttracks' queues are shorter by factors of 10-50+ compared to winnys' wpnp or opennap, and it's not a "new version" problem by any means. the queues have debilitated winmx for well over a year. something somewhere is wrong with the execution of this application. if and when they get down into the code and work it out it will truly be "the top P2P application for most individuals." but it ain't now, not by a long shot, unless you happen to like riding a little boutique server 24/7.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-02, 03:34 PM   #4
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
the question they need to address is not why there're long queues on winmx per se but why the winmx queues are so much longer than the other mainstream apps. for instance fasttracks' queues are shorter by factors of 10-50+ compared to winnys' wpnp or opennap, and it's not a "new version" problem by any means. the queues have debilitated winmx for well over a year. something somewhere is wrong with the execution of this application. if and when they get down into the code and work it out it will truly be "the top P2P application for most individuals." but it ain't now, not by a long shot, unless you happen to like riding a little boutique server 24/7.

- js.
I tried to bring this up once before for "my reasoning" regarding the long queues in WinMX. The reasoning IMO is the multiple networks Opennap and WPN. Opennap itself is as we know already a square wheel for efficiency WinMX also has issues with other clients entering the queue "Audiognome"
Sooo....Think of it like this: 2 doors in 1 door out and the out door is too small for some of the customers = BOTTLENECK
FIX IS: Get rid of opennap all together the WPN is more than sufficient and has a large enough user-base to support itself. Then focus on network efficiency of the WPN instead of trying to develop new technology while keeping the square wheel.
I think this will be noticed more in other clients as well it's just that they do not have the # of users to bog the network.
I know some people like the ability to search multiple networks but how hard is it to just open another client like you would if you were to go to Fasttrack/edonkey/Gnutella/DC/Blubster etc.

Then you have the human factor which is a whole different story which I'll leave alone for now.
Old 19-09-02, 12:34 PM   #5
assorted
WAH!

i never realized there might be technical problems behind winmxs' "que problems". I mean, when i sign on to winmx i go into que for ANY file i can actually find and have people filled up and sucking my tit immediately.

My experience with winMX (which has been happening for at least a year and a half whenever i periodically give it a try) can't be due to technical issues. it HAS to be a community issue. it's a client for leechers.
Old 19-09-02, 12:52 PM   #6
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Not only is it a client for leechers, but it is also the most notorious for traders. Many folks are trading apps and movies and have mp3s as well, and there is no way of separating queues by file type. Unfuckingfortunately, it's either get in line or sell your soul and get into the trading biz. I did the trading thing at one time on winmx, but then I started getting encrypted files that no one knew the password for--so in essence, it was tantamount to "sure, I'll trade with you, but that file won't be worth jackshit until I finish getting mine from you."
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-02, 06:10 PM   #7
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by mdneer
Not only is it a client for leechers, but it is also the most notorious for traders.
i hate trading. it's ridiculous.

i'm jumping on soulseek once i have cable but from what i hear i still won't be able to find say... the pixies second album or the buzzcocks third album using soulseek so for my musical tastes i'm still up shits creek post-audiogalaxy.

i doubt winmx will be filling that gap. though i got optimistic when i saw the 3.0 client but i guess not...
Old 20-09-02, 06:54 PM   #8
Haole

You'll love Soulseek.
I just did a search for the Buzzcocks:

Trust me, man it's the best out there. I'm sure Naz must've told you by now.
Attached Images

Old 20-09-02, 08:20 PM   #9
Marius

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted

i'm jumping on soulseek once i have cable...
Is Soulseek only suitable for cable users? I was thinking of trying it and I'm on dialup. I'm also at a loss since AG died - nothing but commercial crap on kazzalite.

Marius
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-02, 09:26 PM   #10
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by Marius

Is Soulseek only suitable for cable users
i have no clue. i just don't bother with p2p filetrading on 56k. instead i use whatever p2p software my friends who have broadband are using to get the files i want and burn a cd while i'm there.

hehe; thx for the screenshot, mdneer. you'll see me there next month!
Old 20-09-02, 09:40 PM   #11
Haole

Quote:
Originally posted by Marius

Is Soulseek only suitable for cable users? I was thinking of trying it and I'm on dialup. I'm also at a loss since AG died - nothing but commercial crap on kazzalite.

Marius
No, there are plenty of 56K users on Soulseek, although they do clog things up a bit--but hey, it's a very good community as long as you're respectful to other users, which I'm sure you will be.
I've had one guy in my queue dl'ing at 0.3 kbps for the last week and a half just to get a Bill Frisell record. If he's that determined, then more power to him.
Old 20-09-02, 09:43 PM   #12
JackSpratts

Quote:
I've had one guy in my queue dl'ing at 0.3 kbps for the last week and a half just to get a Bill Frisell record. If he's that determined, then more power to him.
that's the p2p spirit mdneer!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-02, 08:36 AM   #13
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:

And make sure to cut him off a few KB short of downloading the whole thing. Life doesn't get any more cruel than that. *evilgrin*

Stoepsel
Old 22-09-02, 05:55 PM   #14
kento
Apprentice Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

- js.
i think too much user configurable parts i.e., "queue control", bandwidth throttling is what's ruining/destroying the winmx network...fasttrack users particuliar those users on Imesh can't "bump the order of people in the queues" and don't have micrometer control over the bandwidth alloted either..and it works great.
kento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-02, 07:10 PM   #15
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoepsel

And make sure to cut him off a few KB short of downloading the whole thing. Life doesn't get any more cruel than that. *evilgrin*

Stoepsel
Ain't the internet just grand!!!

Even the most pathetic little coward can enjoy the pleasures of being a bully in complete safety.

Yeah. Someone did that to me.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-02, 08:24 PM   #16
Haole

Quote:
Originally posted by albed

Yeah. Someone did that to me.
See, now on Soulseek that would be too cruel! I'd never stoop that low. On other p2p networks with swarmed downloads and the ability to resume, you're a goner!