P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 13-09-02, 01:27 PM   #1
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Default WinMx Screenshot Queing....

Do the following numbers make a difference in downloads being available and not showing up as 'queued'.

PS: Thanks Dawn for showing me the quick way to do this

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

May each sun find you well
Jadesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-02, 01:42 PM   #2
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

ya dude

for the downloads part i have both set to like 100

then depending on your connection, i have 3 open for uploads, and 1 upload per user....cuz i'm capped at 128k....so thats about all i can handle......

hope that helps ya a bit
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-02, 02:38 PM   #3
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Thanks, I will set the later for 5, I wish everyone would do the same, (but I realize your connenction speed plays a integral part with the # you set). I have DSL which is somewhat ok.

Thanks again

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

May each sun find you well
Jadesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-02, 05:35 PM   #4
JackSpratts

i'm set to 5 too but the thing is like you Jadesun i'm capped at 128 but i can't give it all up because i need room for the upload conflict "back wash" or my modem will dump my connection unceremoniously! so i have winmx cap my u/l bandwidth at 100, leaving an avg of 20 kbs per user IF i'm not using another p2p. since i usually am my real world uploads are slower. still i manage send out 100 files per day so i'm doing my part i think.

here's a little faq about uploading and bandwidth conflicts from my other board, dsl reports.

Q: When I am simultaneously uploading and downloading my download speed drops to 25% of what it is when I am just downloading. Is this the nature of the ADSL protocol?? Are there any tweaks so that uploading doesn’t kill the downloading speed or is that just the way it is??

A: Since TCP/IP is based on store-and-forward of independent packets, any networking device maintains a queue of network packets to be sent out. if you do a large upload, your computer sends packets over ethernet as fast as it can to your dsl modem, where they are queued before they go over the slow dsl line. the modem may actually queue packets for up to a few seconds. so any new packet that is sent by your computer will have to wait a few seconds before it is finally sent out onto the "wire".

if you simultaneously do a download, the acknowledgement packets for your download will have to compete with the upload packets, and so they too will have to wait a few seconds before they are sent out. since this queue is in the modem, and not in your computer, your computer won't know it exists and can't make sure the ack packets jump to the front of the queue.

so, the computer you are downloading from sees acknowledgements to each of its packets arrive with quite a delay, and will therefore adjusts its sending speed to accommodate this (seemingly) slow connection.

to overcome this, the best way would be to limit your upload to just below the maximal upload speed you can achieve. that way, you won't build up a queue of upload packets in the modem, and ack packets will be sent out immediately.

~thanks to ruud

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-02, 06:10 PM   #5
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

if your capped at 128k but give about 20k per user...doesn't 128k upload translate to 15kb/s in winmx or any other p2p.....
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-02, 06:42 PM   #6
JackSpratts

i set winmx to limit outgoing bandwidth to 10000 and it holds it pretty tightly to that figure. is that what you meant? never mind, i get the question. as a practical matter the avg outgoing stream is 2-2.5 kBs per user, depending whether i open 4 or five u/l slots.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-02, 01:14 PM   #7
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Download settings

No matter how high your set your download rate, the real speed depends on the network loading, and how fast the other person can send the data to you... So, as long as your rate is set LOWER than the maximum throughput, you can adjust it, set it ABOVE the maximum capablilies and there will be slack for other acks etc.

Setting the Maximum TOTAL downloads will limit the number of downloads your system handles at once.

Setting the Max downloads per user, is one of the best features of winMx as it puts the queues under YOUR control, when for example you are trying to get a complete album, you can set the maximum files at anyone time that you will attempt to queue with the distant end, this is far better, far more sociable, and far less likely to get you kicked off for being greedy.

Ok so you will have to queue EACH file (or group of files) with the distant end, individually, and from a queue size this is the preferred option, as it gives everyone a change.

One of the features I should like to see on any P2P is an ability
to reject any uploads that exceed your declared maximum per user, currently no matter how many or how few you have set, they still queue up, increase your queue number, and deter many from bothering to wait. If the system rejected these excessive demands with a report, did NOT accept them, the message would soon get across to the greedy ones, HOW it SHOULD be done..

A few thoughts, some obvious, some maybe no so...

Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-02, 02:50 PM   #8
pod
Bumbling idiot

Don't forget the bandwidth limit in WinMX also includes network traffic, unless that changed in 3.3 (I never set a limit so wouldn't know offhand).
pod is offline   Reply With Quote