P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-09-02, 02:09 AM   #1
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Another Nail in the P2P Coffin ?

Is the party over? well it could be for many of the Opennap servers... IF the operators fail to PAY...

DNS2GO the up to now free for non-commercial use, domain provider, are about to instigate a charge...

EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2002, Deerfield.com will adopt a PAID-MODEL FOR DNS2GO SERVICE. This step is necessary to continue bringing DNS2Go customers the high quality service that has been our mission.

Ok so its only $9.95 per year, thats no problem, well not for US
residents, but their free service appears in many of the opennap server addresses World-wide, and paying up is not just a question of the money, its more a question of getting the money THERE...

Banks over here charge an arm & a leg to provide you with a 10 buck note, and I'm always cautious about using credit cards to buy services abroad from the UK..

We shall see what happens in October, I wonder if the other domain operators have gone, or are going this way too...?

Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-02, 12:44 AM   #2
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Hmmm.... seems as if Deerfield the makers of DNS2GO are buying out other services! I was shopping for another free DNS client and come across this http://www.myip.org/

Surely this will unorganize opennap for a little while?
Old 14-09-02, 06:35 AM   #3
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by AweShucks
Hmmm.... seems as if Deerfield the makers of DNS2GO are buying out other services! I was shopping for another free DNS client and come across this http://www.myip.org/

Surely this will unorganize opennap for a little while?
Probably will, but at least there are still free dns services out there to switch over to.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-02, 01:25 PM   #4
assorted
WAH!

This one is still free I use it and it's quite stable (unlike yi.org which was a nightmare).

But yeah; I imagine they will all have to switch over to a $$ business model eventually; I mean someones' gotta pay for this stuff. I hardley think that will be the end of OpenNap though; if it is it was a weakened community already.
Old 15-09-02, 01:14 AM   #5
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Yes I just switched to dyndns.org. One thing to be careful of is to be sure not to set the automatic refresh too low or they will ban your domain