P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 07-09-02, 03:05 AM   #1
Mowzer
'

Default Orbł

There hasn't been much of any update regarding the Orbł app since the last thread Alphabeater posted.

Just thought I would post some urls here, for fellow napsterites.

The Orbł project page is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/orb3

The home page for Orbł is at http://www.orbcubed.com/

As everyone knows OpenNap clients have never been as far along as some of the Gnutella clients or any of the other popular p2p clients that currently exist.

For ease of use, Open nap programs have never been the best bet. Its always been easy to get frustrated.

It really does come down to you and a ton of possible files you can bring onto your hard drive. Wether its music, video or what have you. And really its not just a ton, more like a few million tons of content out there.

Orbł will help you navigate and get at that content, but not only that, it does so in a productive way.

As the Orbł homepage states, the client is in internal development and testing. It wont be too much longer now.

Alphabeater has allot of talent. I think when Orbł is released you will all find its a whole new type of app and a whole new experince.

The need for rich standards and rich tools when it comes to P2S2P or P2P technologies has always been clear.

One of the things that has been steady in my mind through out the development has been the question of "How can the experince of file sharing be improved?"

It seems when ever or where ever p2p is mentioned, the ideas everyone holds in regards to filesharing become clear. It also has seemed like allot of the diffrent applications have ignored these thoughts and feelings everyone has, and have always sort of just followed a basic mold.

All over the net, and even here on napsterites the answer to the question has been given, and in allot of diffrent ways, through allot of diffrent voices.

Because napsterites has such a core group of file traders, I thought I would take a momment a give a kinda update for you all, and provide you with the links on Orbł to keep an eye on in the next little while.

Also if you havent done so, check out www.spherep2p.com its a sort of sister to Orbł, the guys over there are doing some intresting things aswell. Especially in regard to Services Sharing.

I really belive with Orbł and allot of the other elements currently going on the file sharing enviroment, that the peer 2 peer experince will be driven forward.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 03:47 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the info and the links, Ethen!

Alphabeater clearly has a lot of talent and a good insight to p2p so I will be looking forward to the coming public releases.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 07:36 AM   #3
MagicMorpheus

THanks, Ethen. I was wondering what happened to it.
MagicMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 03:56 PM   #4
alphabeater

(blushes at ethen).. hehe

anyway, a little update on the coding side of things: most of the ui graphics and design is done (it looks a lot different to the original screenshot i posted.. and i mean a LOT), and the network code has basic functions.. not enough to be particularly useful yet, but it's just a matter of translating the opennap protocol into vb code, and then integrating all the components and starting the beta testing.

hang on in there a few more weeks, maybe.. with ethen's input, orbł is turning out even better than i thought it was going to.
alphabeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 06:20 PM   #5
JackSpratts

great news alphabeater. we all know you have it in you!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 07:41 PM   #6
kento
Apprentice Napsterite

Yay ethen! Yah alphabeater! hooray for us...hehe we will get to enjoy the "fruits" of your good labour soon. i had great hopes from before and just seeing yours and ethen's input in the p2p forums...looks like something is finally "coming to pass" for the good.

ethen r u a programmer? those gui's looked great? how did you do them, man?

alphabeater what is your background programming wise and or educational...you seem to me to be a 'mental giant' with great compassion and a kind heart.

make me very happy to see this type of meaningful collaboration between to such very talented people as yourselves....

please let us know when we can try it. (oh and please don't feel rushed to "get it out") go ahead and put the "icing on the cake" so to speak.

-kento
kento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 08:18 PM   #7
Mowzer
'

"ethen r u a programmer? those gui's looked great? how did you do them, man?"

I am just working with Orb doing the UI design and useability.
The UI will not resemble anyhting like the screen shot I posted as an example in the older Orb thread.

That was just an quick sample to explain my orignal point. If that was to be carried over into a working design you would find it naturally has alot of flaws.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote