P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-06-03, 07:04 AM   #1
Bright Eyes
Global Security Octopus

Default open nap

I hope to get some advice about the Open Nap servers, which I use via winmx.

The majority of listed servers never allow me to connect [ie 'access denied', 'connection refused']; some of them say they require registration, but don't say how to do this. Can anyone say how this is done, and any idea how to access the other servers?

Also, a few insist that I am not sharing any files [or only a few of the many I have], when in reality I am sharing lots. Any ideas why they can't see my file list [when other servers can see it], and how to make it visible? Any idea how to contact those who run these servers?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

This is the Century of the Insane.
Bright Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-03, 07:22 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up Re: open nap

Quote:
Originally posted by Bright Eyes
The majority of listed servers never allow me to connect [ie 'access denied', 'connection refused']; some of them say they require registration, but don't say how to do this. Can anyone say how this is done, and any idea how to access the other servers?
To register to a server, right-click a server in your server list (under WinMX's Networks section) and select Edit from the popup menu. In the dialog that opens, check the option 'Register user name on next login using the following email address'. For security reasons, use a disposable or a fake e-mail address. Next time you connect to the server, WinMX tries to register your nick to that server.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bright Eyes
Also, a few insist that I am not sharing any files [or only a few of the many I have], when in reality I am sharing lots. Any ideas why they can't see my file list [when other servers can see it], and how to make it visible? Any idea how to contact those who run these servers?
Sometimes sharing too much causes problems on OpenNap servers with minimum share limits. It takes time for a large file list to be fed to the server, and should the server check your shares too quickly it will wrongly assume that you are sharing nothing or very little (whereas the opposite is true). In these cases, try logging in with a smaller shared library. Once in, you can add more stuff to your library if you wish.

(The above instructions apply to WinMX 3.31)

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-03, 07:51 AM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

Also when you right click on a server you're connected to you can View Server Messages and find out their rules and how to contact them.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-03, 01:16 PM   #4
pod
Bumbling idiot

Default Re: Re: open nap

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Sometimes sharing too much causes problems on OpenNap servers with minimum share limits.
Also some servers are only interested in certain file types, or even only in white-listed files. This will decimate your shared files, and you may not have enough to join. Again, read the server messages for any special rules.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-03, 08:24 PM   #5
HAL9000

Slavanap servers sometines reject WinMX or Drumbeat client. bucause of "WinMX" non standard opennap protocol, Drumbeat as leeching client.

at least it was like that when i was running nap servers.

HAL
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote