P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 11-09-08, 10:43 PM   #1
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Default After stonewalling for no less than a week...

Sarah Palin finally breaks down and does an interview with Charles Gibson on ABC.

You guys are happy now, right? I'm sure after her snubbing of the press you're just dying to hear what she has to say. This must be such a vindication for everyone who had to endure the past few days counting the seconds until Palin did an interview. I mean, after such a long time it was beginning to look like the press might have forgotten about her.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 10:51 PM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Talking war with Russia , no less...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 07:26 AM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

what, 8 years of government officials acting without transparency or accountability is not enough for you?

the press plays a critical role for the public in the election process (albeit not very well, but hey, they're all we have). the McCain camp is afraid the press will be adversarial and not sufficiently deferential to Sarah Palin, when in fact, asking hard questions is thier job.

from what i've read, Charlie Gibson did a decent job but that should be only the beginning...she shold be able to field questions freely from the press, just like the rest of the candidates (just like any candidate). it's a vetting process of sorts that the press performs for the public and the McCain camp's attempts to shield her from it disrespects the office, insults the voters, and does everyone a disservice.

and let's face it: anyone who is critical of this process vis a vis Sarah paliln can only be afraid of what it might reveal about her. if you think she is capable of running the country, then she ought to be able to handle it.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-08, 10:14 PM   #4
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Clearly, the whole McCain-won't-let-Palin-talk-to-the-press argument was bullshit from the start since she has, in fact, talked to the press, on prime-time network news, no less. I just thought I'd point that out. I'm not critical of the media vetting process, flawed as it is, I'm critical of those like you who are too impatient to wait a mere week to see the process through.
Old 15-09-08, 01:15 AM   #5
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Sorry m8, but you're an idiot. Oh, and so is she. You could almost see the string pulling into her back in some of the questions.

"the U.S. shouldn't 'second guess' what Israel needs to do....what Israel needs to do....needs to do...."

Imagine having a Vice President, and then President, who has to study for a canned interview, and refuses to hold a press conference.

Oh! But she's on Hannity this week! He'll sure show her!!!!111one

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-08, 03:46 AM   #6
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

From Andrew Sullivan at The Atlantic, writing for The Times:

Quote:
For the past two weeks serious commentators and columnists have been asked to take the candidacy of Sarah Palin for the vice-presidency of the United States seriously.

Formerly sane people have written of the McCain campaign’s selection of this running mate as if it represents a new face for Republicanism, an emblem of can-do western spirit, a brilliant ploy to win over Clinton voters, a new feminism, a reformist revolution, and a genius appeal to the religious right.

I’m afraid I cannot join in. In fact I cannot say anything about this candidacy that takes it in any way seriously. It is a farce. It is absurd. It is an insult to all intelligent people. It is a sign of a candidate who has lost his mind. There is no way to take the nomination of Palin to be vice-president of the world’s sole superpower - except to treat it as a massive, unforgivable, inexplicable decision by someone who has either gone insane or is managerially unfit to be president of the United States. When, at some point, the hysteria dies down, even her supporters will realise that, by this decision, McCain has rendered himself unfit to run a branch of Starbucks, let alone the White House.
The announcement of Palin was made more than two weeks ago. It took a fortnight for her to agree to sit down for an intimate interview of the kind usually reserved for Hollywood stars instead of the press conference typical of a new vice-presidential candidate. This has never happened in American political history. Even Dan Quayle, the least qualified vice-presidential nominee before Palin, and a man who did not know how to spell “potato”, gave a press conference a day after the convention in 1988.

There have been two explanations for this astonishing Putin-style decision to keep a vice-presidential candidate from the press. The first was that the press would be too mean to her and needed to show, in campaign manager Rick Davis’s word, sufficient “deference” before they would be allowed to ask her a question. Deference? Is 21st-century America an 18th-century monarchy? The press owes such a total unknown who could be president next January deference?

The second explanation is that she needed time to cram for the exam. The McCain camp knew she had never expressed any views about foreign policy. And the only time she had on record was to oppose the surge that is the centrepiece of McCain’s campaign. They knew she knew nothing and was utterly unqualified to be president at a moment’s notice. And so she spent the last week furiously prepping. As Maureen Dowd noticed, she is Eliza Doolittle to John McCain’s Henry Higgins.

But at the end of last week we were granted an audience with the Princess of Alaska. It was painful. She had no idea what the Bush Doctrine was – the central and most controversial foreign policy innovation of the past eight years: the doctrine of preemption against states with WMDs. Moreover, in her speech the same day, she described the war in Iraq. She said her eldest son, who has just enlisted, would “defend the innocent from the enemies who planned and carried out and rejoiced in the death of thousands of Americans”.

Does Palin believe that the men who planned and carried out the 9/11 attack are in Iraq? The hijackers are all dead, but Bin Laden and Zawahiri and the rest of the gang are, as far as we know, in Pakistan. Nobody believes they are in Iraq.

Then we have the now mountain of lies that follow Palin everywhere she goes, lies she keeps repeating as if they are not subject to factual scrutiny. In her first interview she said it was common for vice-presidential candidates never to have met a single foreign leader. Untrue. Every living vice-presidential candidate has met some foreign leaders before being picked.

She said she did not deny that climate change was man-made. But she has clearly stated that on the record. A year ago she said: “I’m not an Al Gore, doom-and-gloom environmentalist, blaming the changes in our climate on human activity.”

She keeps repeating as a defining political motif that she said: “Thanks, but no thanks for the Bridge to Nowhere.” But we now know that she originally lobbied for the bridge in Alaska paid for by federal funds. And she never returned the money. And she even wore a “Nowhere, Alaska” sweatshirt to push back against the McCains of this world who derided the bridge as a pointless boondoggle.

She says she’s against pork-barrel spending, and this was partly why McCain picked her. McCain’s signature issue, after all, is his disdain of pork. Here’s one of McCain’s oldest jokes: “We’re not going to spend $3m of your tax dollars to study the DNA of bears in Montana,” he said earlier this year, citing Montana’s request for federal money to study the endangered grizzly bear. “I don’t know if it was a paternity issue or criminal, but it was a waste of money.”

Here’s what Politico.com revealed about Palin’s time as Alaska governor: “According to a ‘summary of requests for federal appropriations’ posted to her budget office’s website earlier this year, Palin requested millions of federal dollars for everything from improving recreational halibut fishing to studying the mating habits of crabs and the DNA of harbour seals.”

She boasts that she secured a new oil pipeline for Alaska, but closer inspection finds that nothing has even begun to be built, and that the state may end up owing billions if the pipeline is never constructed.

She says she’s a fiscal conservative, but as mayor she increased her tiny town’s debt service by 69%. When she took office, the town of Wasilla had no long-term debt. By the time her term was over, the debt amounted to $3,000 per citizen.

She is the biggest joke to be put on a ticket in national politics. The most accurate thing said about her in the past two weeks was said on the day she was picked. It was said by Alaska’s Republican state senate president, Lyda Green: “She’s not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice-president or president? Look at what she’s done to this state. What would she do to the nation?”

I don't know about you, but I've had enough of lies and empty promises of 'REFORM!' from those who have repeatedly fucked the people of the United States while claiming to hold back the tide of economic depression.

Fat cat money boys who are deeply involved with the lobbyists who have deregulated the markets and squandered the future of the people of America for their own benefit.

Are you better off? Are you making more at your job and does that job feel secure? Are goods and services costing you less? Is your health care providing for you and your family and has the cost been kept at inflation? Has the 'war in Iraq' made you more secure and will war with Iran make you feel more so?

Is the US economy strong and if not, why not? Is our standing in the world better than 8 years ago and if not, why not? Do you want a strong thinker with a background in Constitutional law in the White House and if not, why not?

Are you only against an Obama Presidency because he's only 1/2 white? Are you supporting the old and incapable McCain and the new and inexperienced Palin because they're skin color is more acceptable, no matter their lack of policy or, where they have policy, their lack of support for middle America?

Are you making more than $250,000 a year and do you honestly think McCain is on your side if you're not?

Wake up America, you've run out of lube and can't take another fucking.

Š

Old 15-09-08, 08:21 AM   #7
JackSpratts

Default Women in Alaska

JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-08, 11:16 AM   #8
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Šiego View Post
I don't know about you, but I've had enough of lies and empty promises of 'REFORM!' from those who have repeatedly fucked the people of the United States while claiming to hold back the tide of economic depression.

Fat cat money boys who are deeply involved with the lobbyists who have deregulated the markets and squandered the future of the people of America for their own benefit.

Are you better off? Are you making more at your job and does that job feel secure? Are goods and services costing you less? Is your health care providing for you and your family and has the cost been kept at inflation? Has the 'war in Iraq' made you more secure and will war with Iran make you feel more so?

Is the US economy strong and if not, why not? Is our standing in the world better than 8 years ago and if not, why not? Do you want a strong thinker with a background in Constitutional law in the White House and if not, why not?

Are you only against an Obama Presidency because he's only 1/2 white? Are you supporting the old and incapable McCain and the new and inexperienced Palin because they're skin color is more acceptable, no matter their lack of policy or, where they have policy, their lack of support for middle America?

Are you making more than $250,000 a year and do you honestly think McCain is on your side if you're not?

Wake up America, you've run out of lube and can't take another fucking.

Š
That was a touching rant. Honestly, I'm in awe.

You really don't pay attention do you. I've stated before that I'm an undecided voter this year and that hasn't changed. I satirized the Palin criticism, not because I'm a Palin supporter, but because I think the liberal blogosphere (which is oft quoted here as well as in the mainstream media) is patently ridiculous.

I observed that Palin gave an interview after you claimed that she wouldn't and you called me an idiot for it. My observation was correct, and I'd go so far as to say that she has faced as much scrutiny in two and a half weeks as the other candidates. You really don't care what she has to say anyway, so why do you care if she gives interviews or holds press conferences? If you're going to criticize her for the things she doesn't say as well as the things she does say, then as far as you're concerned it doesn't matter if she never holds a press conference or if she holds one every day. That kind of willful blindness will make others ignore your arguments, and when voters stop paying attention to you and rest of the peanut gallery suddenly Palin is going to look electable and then you'll have blown it.

I've warned you before not to martyr Palin, but you don't pay attention.
Old 15-09-08, 11:33 AM   #9
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

You're right, I shouldn't have called you an idiot. I don't generally call people names and it was inexcusable. I'm just getting a bit sick and tired of the talking heads telling everyone that it's okay that she didn't have the faintest idea what the Bush Doctrine is because the average American doesn't.

I'm not martyring anyone. What I am doing is saying that no one should be elected without their history and views being open to the country. That McCain felt the need to first hide her and then coach her for an interview doesn't say much for her, but it says a lot about John McCain and those who have influence over him and his campaign.

Bad enough Palin could be Vice President, she could be President!

That scares the shit out of me. It really does.

Š

Old 15-09-08, 11:52 AM   #10
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I don't think Palin would be a good president, but I think she could make McCain a better one. I'm comforted by the thought that a woman with real executive experience might lay a softening touch on that bitter old man. She's not ready to be president now, but four years as VP would be good enough field training for anybody, and she wouldn't be such a bad choice for president in 2012. You still wouldn't vote for her, but at least you'd have nothing to fear from her.
Old 15-09-08, 11:58 AM   #11
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

I have everything to fear from her on many levels, no matter the office she holds.

Creationism in the schools? Anti-abortion and anti-Sex-ED? War with Russia? Rubber-stamping Israel's military actions? God's plan??

And as for her 'executive experience', as an Independent I really think you need to learn more about her previous offices and how she ran them and who she hired to important positions. You might also want to learn about her husband's affiliations, and his influence on her office.

It's not the sort of 'executive experience' I want anywhere near the White House, but it's the kind we've already had for 8 years.

Š