P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 05-08-01, 12:43 PM   #1
Bright Eyes
Global Security Octopus

Default ripping from cassette problem

I'm not sure in which of our forums to ask this, but this seems the closest for relevence.

I have tried repeatedly to copy music tracks from a cassette into the computer as wavs, and I always get a stuttering effect on the playback.

I have reducing the input volume [the casette player has no line out, so I use the earphone jack] in case the signal was overloading the comp, but it made no difference.

The stuttering effect happens in different places in the track each time I make a new transfer, but it does stutter in exactly the same place on the replays.

I tried both Soundforge and Wavelab. The sound card is a vibra16.

This is the Century of the Insane.
Bright Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-01, 02:32 AM   #2
eclectica

I use a program called "Goldwave" for recording with the sound card. One of the recording options on it is to "disable write cache". I find that with that option checked, I get poor results, so I don't check it. Apparently that option causes the data from the sound card to go directly to the hard drive, rather than going through the memory of the computer. So maybe you have a similar feature?

Another thing I noticed with that option checked, is that I wouldn't get problems if I set the right anticipated track length in the beginning. In other words, I would click to record a new wav file, and it would ask me how long I wanted the new one to be, and I had to enter in the time length of the file in advance. So if I was recording a ten minute song, I would have to enter in advance that I was recording a song of that length, and then it would prepare it on the hard drive by creating an actual 100 megabytes blank file. Then the writing would go smoothly, because it was already reserved and ready to go off of the hard drive. But if I recorded for example a ten minute song on the hard drive and set the anticipated song length as one minute, then I would get the clicking as the song went beyond the one minute range.

Maybe having too many programs open at once causes you problems. Or the recording program you use may not be so good. If you're interested in Goldwave, let me know, and I'll send you a copy by e-mail.
Old 06-08-01, 08:47 AM   #3
Bright Eyes
Global Security Octopus

yes, i would like you to send the prog to me, as it sounds like it might be worth trying. i'll give you the email addie via the pm. thanks.

This is the Century of the Insane.
Bright Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-01, 03:16 PM   #4
Trippynet

Hi!

The problem is most likely either the setup of soundforge or your PC setup. I can record audio perfectly with a P233, 64MB RAM PC using Cool Edit Pro 1.2.

I could say why I think these skips are occuring, but I had just typed a long jumbly message, and then my PC crashed and I lost it, so I'll be a bit more brief this time cos I can't be bothered to type it all again

What I would try, is to record the songs using bog standard, no frills "Windows Sound Recorder". It is a simple WAV recorder and should get the file in without any stutterings. After it is in, you can save it, then open it in SoundForge to remove the silence from the beginning/end, and/or amplify it as needed.

Dave!!