P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 30-10-01, 02:20 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default improving the breed

of the next p2p. interesting reading.

- js.
Old 30-10-01, 03:45 PM   #2
assorted
WAH!

That guy speaks of freeloading as if it's an obvious problem... For what network has freeloading been a problem so far? I don't know of a single one.

Even gnutella network, which is allegedly notorious for freeloading, has enough available downloads to keep me using it. The problem for gnutella network isn't freeloading, it's the fact that 56k users simply can't particpate that gives a false impression of damage.

His theoretical p2p format is great except for that. And lets remember not a single p2p client with anti-freeloading measures has taken off in any way. People who want to introduce that will do so with the certainty that their client will fail; since no one wants to walk in to a situation being FORCED to contribute.

(hehe; i've hated these ratio bastards since the days of FTP as the only way to get shit)
Old 30-10-01, 04:58 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the link, Jack - it was interesting as promised.

The article gives a good idea what is to be expected after FastTrack's blocking of the open source giFT client. As the commercial players get too protective or shot down by the RIAA similar p2p technology will inevitably be developed by non-commercial programmers and communities.

As for freeloaders, many active sharers do hate them which has become obvious from e.g. Morpheus board. I agree with assorted that it is not such a crucial factor in Gnutella as the network is anonymous and thereby not community-oriented by its nature. I also agree that too strict ratio-like approaches are not likely to fly - when resources are available it is counterproductive to limit downloading from anybody. Leech control mechanisms become relevant in resource competition situations. If active sharers are intelligently (not in a trivial mechanical way that can be fooled) and non-exclusively rewarded in bandwith and queueing competition, it will encourage sharing in a natural way without preventing newcomers from getting their stuff either.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote