P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-10-01, 08:56 PM   #1
nanook
just one of the gang...

Default Tank, my Winmx expert............

you know when someone decides to go offline or you get disconnected and you can "resume" from that "partial" file????????

how come you aren't given that option each time you try to find a another, of the same file name, size, etc.?????????

it seems to do it sometimes, but not all the time. it just irks me to no end.

soooooooo........what am i doing wrong??????????

"tanks"..........

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-01, 04:15 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi Nanook!

Being a Napster-compatible client WinMX uses the same method as Napster for identifying the content of each file being shared. This method, known as MD5 algorithm, calculates a specific identification (hash) number for each file, and even a smallest change in the file (like changing one letter of the artist or album name in the ID3 tags) changes the identification number. To allow resuming WinMX requires not only an identical filename and filesize but also a perfectly matching identification number. This number you cannot see directly from WinMX's search results so you have to rely on the software to recognize the files that actually are valid sources for resuming.

Morpheus uses a similar method but I think Morpheus does not care about filenames at all when picking up sources for multiple-source downloads and resuming. To my knowledge it relies on content identification (hash) numbers alone.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-01, 08:42 AM   #3
nanook
just one of the gang...

thanks our tanked one

i guess it's a matter of keep trying until one comes up????
even i let a person finish a song, even if i'm just dying to go to bed, whatever.

for instance i had a person uploading a 10,000,000 file last night.......Yes's-"Heart of the Sunrise".......now that's one big ass file. but they already had........4,000,000+....it would have sucked for them to try and find someone else. i know they could have.......awwwwwwww i'm probably just too nice. oh well.

like mikey says..........even if it takes a week......weeeeeeeeee

Old 09-10-01, 11:06 AM   #4
JackSpratts

just to amplify on tgs excellent explanation, morpheus looks at the id3 tag to find a similar file, then compares hash #s from the content. it ignores the name of the song or movie as irrelevent. so while the tag isn't critical per se it is neccessary to have an identical one to first locate the file. making a change i that area which i confess i do occasionally for my own filing needs, removes it from contention although you immediately create a new lineage.

btw, most of this stuff i learned months ago from tg in the first place. mc filled in the rest.

- js.
Old 09-10-01, 11:57 AM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the thanks and compliments, Nanook & Jack!

Nanook, here is one trick you might try: if you find a promising file with exactly the right filesize but a different filename from what you try to be resume, make a copy of your incomplete file and rename the copy to match exactly the available file (making a copy is optional but that will allow you to try resume with the original filename as well). Then just start downloading the available file and see if WinMX offers you an option to resume. I used this trick sometimes successfully with audioGnome.

- tg
Old 09-10-01, 12:06 PM   #6
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Thanks for the thanks and compliments, Nanook & Jack!

Nanook, here is one trick you might try: if you find a promising file with exactly the right filesize but a different filename from what you try to be resume, make a copy of your incomplete file and rename the copy to match exactly the available file (making a copy is optional but that will allow you to try resume with the original filename as well). Then just start downloading the available file and see if WinMX offers you an option to resume. I used this trick sometimes successfully with audioGnome.

- tg
ok.......now you're asking, just, wayyyyyyyy too much of me, my tankness

Old 09-10-01, 12:09 PM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook

ok.......now you're asking, just, wayyyyyyyy too much of me, my tankness
LOL ok... let's toast anyway...

- tg
Old 09-10-01, 12:14 PM   #8
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

LOL ok... let's toast anyway...

- tg
i'll be drunk if i keep this up.......lol..........

and i must (here i go again) give a shout out to Mr. Spratts.......

U GUYS TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can always count on you (yes......that is a "luv ya" smiley) cuz i do.............heehee

enough of the mambiness.............

Old 09-10-01, 08:47 PM   #9
JackSpratts

you're very much most welcome my nanooks .

- js.
Old 09-10-01, 09:09 PM   #10
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
thanks our tanked one

i guess it's a matter of keep trying until one comes up????
even i let a person finish a song, even if i'm just dying to go to bed, whatever.

for instance i had a person uploading a 10,000,000 file last night.......Yes's-"Heart of the Sunrise".......now that's one big ass file. but they already had........4,000,000+....it would have sucked for them to try and find someone else. i know they could have.......awwwwwwww i'm probably just too nice. oh well.

like mikey says..........even if it takes a week......weeeeeeeeee
Here's whatcha do: rename any old small MP3 file with your "hours of operation" and other salient features as in-

"Share as many as you like - I add new files every week. Please - One At A Time Only. Host closes at 0600UTC. For info - PM me. SUPPORT ALL P2P. Thanks, Nanook." That way when they surf your folder they'll learn a little about you & your operation.

I've been doing it since Napster and the amazing thing is people actually d/l those files! So I started using sounds that matched the message (keyboard sfx for my email address etc.) Gotta take care of your "public".

- js.
Old 10-10-01, 05:30 AM   #11
nanook
just one of the gang...

spratts.........that's a pretty cool idea. so they actually download this file and find out all about you? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

it would be cool if everyone did that. eh? i'll try it.

"JACK SPRATTS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!"