The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 08-01-07, 06:49 PM   #1
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Default Ziggy at 60

Quote:
From Ziggy to Changes: David Bowie turns 60
(Monday January 08, 2007)

LONDON (AFP) - David Bowie, the ever-changing chameleon of pop, has turned 60, the iconic rock star now in the guise of a contented sexagenarian.

Bowie, who has shocked and stunned with some of his numerous personas, such as Ziggy Stardust, the Thin White Duke, and Halloween Jack, is now an elder statesman of rock, part of a growing band of 60-somethings who found fame in the 1960s and 1970s.

But though the British-born singer still remains muscially on the innovative edge, long gone are the wild days of sex-and-cocaine orgies and megalomania.

The Daily Mirror newspaper said Monday Bowie was to spend his birthday at his main home, a high-rise loft apartment in downtown New York.

Iman, his Somali model wife of almost 15 years, plans to cook him his favourite dish, shepherd's pie, before he curls up on the sofa with six-year-old daughter Lexi to watch cartoons.

"David is going to be 60 but he's not freaking out about it," said Iman, 51. "I guess that's because he's happy. We just lead a very simple family life."

But Bowie is not done with life as one of the most innovative musicians in rock.

He is to re-release 17 albums and hit the stage again in May in New York, in what will be his first major concert in three years. There are also rumours of a new album and tour later this year.

And a source close to Bowie told The Independent newspaper: "The archives are bursting at the seams, things that no one has ever heard. He's never done anything like The Beatles' 'Anthology', so there is scope for a boxed set and a DVD of his life."

Tony Visconti, who has produced several Bowie albums, said the evergreen singer's music was more complicated nowadays.

Bowie has thrown himself into a whole host of musical styles down the decades, including glam rock, New Romantic, Krautrock, dance music, alternative rock, jungle, soul and hard rock.

Visconti said Bowie was the most flexible of rock stars, had never got stuck in a rut and had launched several pop movements.

"I'm sure some of his fans would still love to see him in his Ziggy regalia, but David is still around these days, and still very vital, because he killed off his older 'personas'," he told the BBC.

"He is an innovator who's proved time and again that the only way to make music a vital part of our culture is to continue to break the rules."

Bowie is cited by many artists as a major influence on their careers.

And his hits are still popular, such as "Space Oddity" (1969), "Changes", "Starman", "The Jean Genie" (1972), "Rebel Rebel" (1974), "Heroes" (1977) "Ashes to Ashes" (1980) and "Under Pressure" (with Queen, 1981).

Born David Robert Jones in Brixton, inner south London on January 8, 1947, Bowie's family moved out to the leafy suburb of Bromley when he was six.

He first found fame with "Space Oddity", but it was only in 1972 with his first re-invention as Ziggy Stardust that his success kicked in.

Bowie is thought to have sold around 140 million albums, his biggest-seller being "Let's Dance" (1983).

He declined a knighthood in 2003 and suffered a minor heart attack in 2004 which cut short his "A Reality Tour" concert schedule.

Alongside his music career, Bowie has taken on regular film roles. He stars alongside Michael Caine and Scarlett Johansson as world-renowned Nikola Tesla in the period film "The Prestige", released in October.
My god I feel old.

I always have felt that Bowie was an extremely important voice, if not the greatest 'pop star' ever. At the very least a formidable talent and one hell of a businessman. For decades his new albums have been coming out and seemingly, subtly or overtly, articulating exactly what was going on with me at the time--in a way I could never seem to articulate for myself until much later. As my tastes have grown and changed over the years it's always seemed like he was right there--or two steps ahead--never failing to produce something I could really sink my psyche into.

Here's wishing him a long(er) and productive life.

we passed upon the stair
we spoke of was and when
although I wasn't there
he said I was his friend
which came as some surprise
I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone,
a long long time ago

oh no
not me
I never lost control
you're face to face
with the man who sold the world

I laughed and shook his hand
and made my way back home
I searched for form and land
for years and years I roamed
I gazed a gazely stare
at all the millions here
we must have died a long
a long long time ago

who knows
not me
we never lost control
you're face to face
with the man who sold the world
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 08:47 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

imho, one of the most interesting things David Bowie has done is this:
Quote:
The Sound of Money
Once money consisted of gold or silver, or paper backed by precious metals. Today it is increasingly intangible. In 1997 a new meaning was given to the expression sound money when a method of turning music into credit was invented. David Bowie was the first singer to issue bonds using future royalties as security.

David Pullman, the banker who planned the deal, was hailed by Time magazine as one of tomorrow's hundred most influential innovators.

Following in Bowie's footsteps other stars have turned music notes into bank notes and the idea of using asset backed securities as a means of raising finance has also been applied to other forms of entertainment ranging from Hollywood films to the 2002 Football World Cup in Japan and South Korea.
http://www.ex.ac.uk/~RDavies/arian/bowiebonds.html
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 11:50 PM   #3
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Long live Bowie. Truly the greatest of all living rock stars.
Old 09-01-07, 10:20 AM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

I like him too

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bowie !

I was just thinking yesterday to try and find a decent copy of 'man that fell to earth' somewhere
you know.... DVD shop or something

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 11:58 AM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
I like him too

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bowie !

I was just thinking yesterday to try and find a decent copy of 'man that fell to earth' somewhere
you know.... DVD shop or something
read the book, saw the movie. one of the few times a film could hold it's own with the novel thanks in large part to mr. bowie.

my brother knows him well. when he first met him in the 1972 he said he was the most intimidating rocker he ever met - and he's met a lot of them. that lasted about a minute and they since became aquaintences.

i don't know him exactly although i know his manager, but i have to agree with ramona at least to a point: his contributions to music were extraordinary throughout the early seventies, already an era of extraordinary contributions. it will interesting to hear how he handles the remastering (remixing?) of the back catalog, especially those albums from the late sixties to young americans in '75.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 12:45 PM   #6
multi

wow.. I had a really vivid dream that I met him once it was freaky

its pretty hard to say what are my favorite albums
(someone like Bowie you just cant have 1)
probably Diamond Dogs and Low

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 09-01-07, 03:07 PM   #7
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Diamond Dogs is a definite masterpiece in my opinion. I'm still struck by the brilliance of iit, due in no small part to Tony Visconti. My favorite record of his.
Old 10-01-07, 10:25 AM   #8
thinker
Ex-Singular

Bowie has always been very savvy and at the forefront of so many things, regardless of his persona/sexual projection/whatever else of any given time. At 60, he's been in the spotlight for quite awhile, owing to his early (mid/late '60s) efforts and successes as well as his many stalwart ones of later years, and thanks to today's attitudes toward age, is actually still young enough to be relevant and productive to many people for some time. So many with more "fame of the moment" dream of having such talent but will fall far short.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 12:01 PM   #9
multi

Time - He's waiting in the wings
He speaks of senseless things
His script is you and me, boy

Time - He flexes like a whore
Falls wanking to the floor
His trick is you and me, boy

Time - In Quaaludes and red wine
Demanding Billy Dolls
And other friends of mine
Take your time

The sniper in the brain, regurgitating drain
Incestuous and vain, and many other last names
I look at my watch it say 9:25 and I think "Oh God I'm still alive"

We should be on by now
We should be on by now

Lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai
Lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai

You - are not a victim
You - just scream with boredom
You - are not evicting time

Times - Goddamn, you're looking old
You'll freeze and catch a cold
'Cause you've left your coat behind
Take your time
Breaking up is hard, but keeping dark is hateful
I had so many dreams, I had so many breakthroughs
But you, my love, were kind, but love has left you dreamless
The door to dreams was closed. Your park was real and greenless
Perhaps you're smiling now, smiling through this darkness
But all I had to give was the guilt for dreaming

We should be on by now
We should be on by now
We should be on by now
We should be on by now
We should be on by now

Lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai, lai.........

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard