P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 22-03-04, 08:13 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Slane Castle

this must be old news to our UK friends, but i'd never heard of this place 'til i recently acquired U2 Go Home: Live From Slane Castle....this looks like some amazing venue, no?
Attached Images

theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-04, 12:01 AM   #2
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Default ...just a little burnout observation

An amazing venue if you're interested in paying 100 bucks to see a band playing at 8000 decibels from half a mile away. It's a shame imo when good bands get so huge that they really have little choice but to supersize their concerts like this. I think everything suffers, the music, the production and the fans.

U2 sold 80,000 tickets (in 94 minutes) for the Slane gig in 2001... but I mean hey, if you're on the right drugs, just being part of such a huge crowd can sure be fun. I don't wanna sound antisocial or anything, something to be said for crowd surfing, psychic or physical, but it really hasn't got much to do with the appreciation of music. It's more like going to a huge party where some weird unknown faction has control of the CD player.

I like U2, but after seeing them outdoors in Kansas City in temperatures below 30, with a industrial sized production that looked like a shoebox from my ultra-expensive "cheap seats" and with sound that had about the quality of an air raid siren, it took me a while to grow back into an appreciation of them. Same with the Stones, and even Bowie.

I'm not only a burnout, I'm spoiled.

I now work at a very small venue (capacity 1580 souls) and I find I can't say enough about the extremely gratifying level of music appreciation and performance possible in the small show. Of course not every artist can condescend to play to 1500 people at a time, though the occasional 'big name' does pass through. Dylan, for instance, started his world tour there last month, and though his show completely sucked imo (especially for the exorbitant price, thank goodness I get in free) it was quite nice for his die-hard fans to get to see him as an actual-size human being as opposed to a millimeter high blob of movement under what might have been a cowboy hat.

Gillian Welch played there a couple of weeks ago and epitomized the "intimate setting;" she and her partner travel with two guitars, a banjo and a harmonica, no strobe lights or fog or giant balloon effigies, and cheerfully did about an hour's worth of 'meet and greet' after the show. That is something worth paying for imo. Even other bands I don't particularly like much, like Crystal Method or Lyle Lovett or 311 or Skrape etc, etc, have all, I've noticed, given performances greatly enhanced by this small space.

I'm not saying you'd never see me at one of these gargantuan venues, but if you do, you'll know I don't really give a shit about the music... and I'm probably on ecstasy or something...
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-04, 02:23 AM   #3
Gutrguy
Semiblind

Not close to the uk...but i did go here...hehe

Fiddlers Green in Denver CO...great place, seating for 16,823 people, i plan on goin back if a band i really like is gonna be there.
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-04, 07:42 AM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

that looks like a good venue..
looks more ampitheater style
played in an ampitheater once..much smaller than that..tho
but its was one of the nicest sounding venues i have ever played in..

only needed a small pa..the drums resonated nice enough the really didnt need mic's
weird gig that one.. tho
thats another story..

the castle looks beautiful but that crowd looks pretty uncomfortable ..even from a distance..
probaly was a good gig if u were a U2 fan

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-04, 08:26 AM   #5
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Unfortunatly they changed the name from Fiddler's green to Coors Amphitheatre. It's still a great place to see a concert, but I think the new name cheapens it just a little.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-04, 04:02 PM   #6
Master Samwise
British and Proud of it

Default Re: ...just a little burnout observation

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone
An amazing venue if you're interested in paying 100 bucks to see a band playing at 8000 decibels from half a mile away. It's a shame imo when good bands get so huge that they really have little choice but to supersize their concerts like this. I think everything suffers, the music, the production and the fans.

Don't beat it till you've tried. Slane is the BEST annual concert in the UK, on a par with Glastonbury but without the mud. Its absolutely awesome, and although, yeah, you are miles away from the band thats playing, the fun comes from being in the crowd - when you have English fans, Irish fans, Northern Irish fans, Scottish fans all bouncing alongside you its brilliant. Really, its a superb venue...
Master Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-04, 07:20 PM   #7
emmy
don't try this at home

Quote:
Originally posted by Gutrguy
Fiddlers Green in Denver CO...great place, seating for 16,823 people, i plan on goin back if a band i really like is gonna be there.
I've never heard of that place in Denver...how new is it? I was just out there a few months ago seeing a show at RedRocks.

Have you ever been there Gutrguy? I still think this is an amazing place to see a concert. Although, the hike to get to the seating area usually takes all your breath away. Anyway, Slane Castle looking incredible!!!
Emmy
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-04, 11:31 PM   #8
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally posted by chickie-monkie
Have you ever been there Gutrguy? I still think this is an amazing place to see a concert. Although, the hike to get to the seating area usually takes all your breath away.
That has a lot to do with the altitude here. Hiking is what people do in Colorado so there's trails all around the amphitheater; Red Rocks is fun even when there's no concert going on. The amphitheater is open to the public during the day and most days local musicians will go there and put on free shows. Last time I was there a guy with a guitar and a sequencer did a one man band sort of thing which was interesting to watch. You only need one amp and the sound carries between those two huge rocks all the way to the top row.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-04, 02:04 PM   #9
emmy
don't try this at home

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
That has a lot to do with the altitude here. Hiking is what people do in Colorado so there's trails all around the amphitheater; Red Rocks is fun even when there's no concert going on.
Yeah, we did the hiking thing a few days before the show we went to see at Redrocks and had a blast but seeing how I'm a smoker, I was the one who constantly had to stop for desperate breaths of air.

I'm still blown away knowing that U2 filmed "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at Redrocks. I had no clue it was THIS venue that was responsible for the video until a friend informed me about it. For some odd reason, I thought the venue was in Europe or something...never thought it was right here in the US.
Emmy
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote