P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-17, 02:36 PM   #1
Mazer
Earthbound misfit
 
Mazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Moses Lake, Washington
Posts: 2,563
Default Where do you get your news?

Putting this question in the Political forum for obvious reasons.

I don't have cable or satellite so I don't watch the news on TV, except occasionally when I'm at work (our the general manager tunes every TV to Fox News and we all turn down the volume and try to ignore it because all cable news is abysmal). Mostly I use Google's news aggregator and skim the headlines, occasionally reading an article if it piques my interest. I also follow a few political YouTube channels, more for entertainment than information.

How do you keep up on current events?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 03:36 AM   #2
malvachat
My eyes are now open.
 
malvachat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford uk
Posts: 1,409
Default

On the whole I don't take a lot of notice of "news"
I follow quite a few twitter/facebook feeds to provide me with information I want.
I'm quite active with local politics and trade union.
But I find the media here in Britain so shallow that I can't bear to watch.
No depth at all.
I think the depressing way both the referendum and the election was reported finaly convinced me.Door steping was the only way to get any message out.
__________________
Beer is for life not just Christmas
malvachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 11:31 AM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit
 
Mazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Moses Lake, Washington
Posts: 2,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvachat View Post
I think the depressing way both the referendum and the election was reported finaly convinced me.Door steping was the only way to get any message out.
Canvassers informed you on the issues where the media failed to do so?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 02:15 PM   #4
malvachat
My eyes are now open.
 
malvachat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford uk
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Canvassers informed you on the issues where the media failed to do so?
Not so much that Maz.
We have the same problem here as you have over there.
The issues are simplified to the point of stupid.
My experience tells me the average person in the street is really not that stupid.They just have a differant way of looking at things.
They just switch off.
__________________
Beer is for life not just Christmas
malvachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 06:35 PM   #5
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop
 
theknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Promontorium Tremendum
Posts: 4,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Mostly I use Google's news aggregator and skim the headlines, occasionally reading an article if it piques my interest.
i have always gone to Google's news page first, because of the selection of sources and topics...until about a month ago when Google inexplicably dumbed it down to a large white page with a few headlines. i cannot imagine what Google was thinking, but now i rarely go there (i hope they noticed my absence but i doubt it).

in lieu of that, i set up my own portal page on http://www.ighome.com and customized it with RSS feeds from a variety of sources including CNN, BBC, NYT, NPR, as well some tech sites and a few other things of interest to me. (anyone remember iGoogle? it's very much like that).

that being said, the old Google news page would often link to stories from local news sites around the world, and i'd end up reading news from places i never would have found otherwise....i miss that.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 06:46 PM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit
 
Mazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Moses Lake, Washington
Posts: 2,563
Default

Yeah, that was kinda lame of them. But whatever changes they made didn't carry over to the mobile version, it's still as good as it always was.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 12:36 PM   #7
malvachat
My eyes are now open.
 
malvachat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford uk
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
in lieu of that, i set up my own portal page on http://www.ighome.com and customized it with RSS feeds from a variety of sources including CNN, BBC, NYT, NPR, as well some tech sites and a few other things of interest to me. (anyone remember iGoogle? it's very much like that).
.
Ha ha same as.
__________________
Beer is for life not just Christmas
malvachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 03:21 PM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop
 
theknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Promontorium Tremendum
Posts: 4,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvachat View Post
Ha ha same as.
it's kind of buggy. i really liked iGoogle btw, and was quite sad to see it go away. Hi Mal
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 04:13 AM   #9
malvachat
My eyes are now open.
 
malvachat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford uk
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
it's kind of buggy. i really liked iGoogle btw, and was quite sad to see it go away. Hi Mal
Hi yer.
Yeah ighome breaks down now and then,but it's still handy.
I google was better.
I never understand why things have to keep changeing.
Firefox has done it again.
I've had to use an addon to give me a bar at the bottom which I like when they took the staus bar away.
Now with 55 they've stoped that add on working.
Yahoo mail the same has altered as well.
Just leave things alone.
Change is not always better.
__________________
Beer is for life not just Christmas
malvachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 01:04 PM   #10
multi
Thanks for being with arse
 
multi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The other side of the world
Posts: 10,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Putting this question in the Political forum for obvious reasons.

I don't have cable or satellite so I don't watch the news on TV, except occasionally when I'm at work (our the general manager tunes every TV to Fox News and we all turn down the volume and try to ignore it because all cable news is abysmal). Mostly I use Google's news aggregator and skim the headlines, occasionally reading an article if it piques my interest. I also follow a few political YouTube channels, more for entertainment than information.

How do you keep up on current events?
These days I have been just using the old news reader app that comes with iOS on my old ipad 2 that I bought back in 2012
__________________

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 07:41 PM   #11
albed
flippin 'em off
 
albed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the real world
Posts: 3,216
Default

RT--channel 280 on dish. Big fan of the Keiser Report, but anyway it's not 24/7 coverage of hurricanes and crap. Fox News has blown off the Greg Gutfeld show so often I'm beginning to hate the place.
__________________
Taking power from the many and giving it to the few corrupts the few and degrades the many.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peer-To-Peer News - The Week In Review - July 30th, '11 JackSpratts Peer to Peer 0 27-07-11 06:58 AM
Peer-To-Peer News - The Week In Review - July 16th, '11 JackSpratts Peer to Peer 0 13-07-11 06:43 AM
Peer-To-Peer News - The Week In Review - July 9th, '11 JackSpratts Peer to Peer 0 06-07-11 05:36 AM
Peer-To-Peer News - The Week In Review - January 16th, '10 JackSpratts Peer to Peer 0 13-01-10 09:02 AM
Peer-To-Peer News - The Week In Review - December 5th, '09 JackSpratts Peer to Peer 0 02-12-09 08:32 AM






All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
www.p2p-zone.com - Napsterites - 2000 - 2021