P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 10-09-08, 10:58 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default A bigger liar than Bush

Quote:
If you're in a position of power and you want to say something, just say it, no matter what, and the media will repeat it and repeat it.
Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction to speak of? No matter. Just say he did. He wasn't six months away from nuclear capability? So what—just assert that he was. He wasn't tied to 9-11, there was no famous Prague meeting? No problem. Suggest there might have been. Muddy it up. Good enough.
Bush and co. knew that the media are constitutionally unequipped to call a lie a lie. People in the media like to flatter themselves as truth-tellers and the people's watchdogs and all that, but the fact is that except in very rare circumstances, there's no such thing as "objective truth" in the media, particularly the political media. There's just what one side says and what the other side says.
Quote:
the McCain campaign has taken it to extremes that make even Dick Cheney look like a wallflower. The number and intensity of outright lies, even for jaded observers, is just staggering.
There's Sarah Palin's lies about the bridge and earmarks. There's an unbelievable one I mentioned yesterday about Obama's alleged opposition to combat systems. There's the flatly false assertion to middle-class audiences that Obama will raise their taxes, even though his tax plan does no such thing.
Now there's this incredible McCain education ad that tries to argue that Obama wants to pervert kindergartners. The legislation, in Illinois, was in fact designed to allow local school boards to teach "age appropriate" sex education – and to teach children about how to identify sexual predators!
And then there's this silly pig-lipstick business, which I wouldn't even dignify by mentioning except that, obvious as it was that Obama was talking about McCain and not Palin, the McCain camp has now created something called the "Palin Truth Squad" that was formed to push the lie that Obama was talking about Palin. I'll say that again: a "truth squad" created for the express purpose of pushing a lie.
And where is the truth squad of the press, the people's watchdogs? Mostly enjoying the show, hyping the "mudslinging" between the two sides, which of course "both sides" are guilty of. Nonsense. Obama and Biden distort certain things about McCain's record – that whole 100 years in Iraq business is a stretch. But McCain did say it, so it's only a stretch, not a fabrication.
McCain and Palin are engaged in serial total fabrications. And almost no one calls them on it. The New York Times, which found the space to run a puffy piece on Palin's family on its front page the other day, hasn't found similar space to run a story under a headline like, "McCain-Palin Claims Stretch Credulity, Some Say.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ain.sarahpalin

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 01:03 PM   #2
Điego
Alpha Stoner

Quote:
McCain's Integrity

For me, this surreal moment - like the entire surrealism of the past ten days - is not really about Sarah Palin or Barack Obama or pigs or fish or lipstick. It's about John McCain. The one thing I always thought I knew about him is that he is a decent and honest person. When he knows, as every sane person must, that Obama did not in any conceivable sense mean that Sarah Palin is a pig, what did he do? Did he come out and say so and end this charade? Or did he acquiesce in and thereby enable the mindless Rovianism that is now the core feature of his campaign?

So far, he has let us all down. My guess is he will continue to do so. And that decision, for my part, ends whatever respect I once had for him. On core moral issues, where this man knew what the right thing was, and had to pick between good and evil, he chose evil. When he knew that George W. Bush's war in Iraq was a fiasco and catastrophe, and before Donald Rumsfeld quit, McCain endorsed George W. Bush against his fellow Vietnam vet, John Kerry in 2004. By that decision, McCain lost any credibility that he can ever put country first. He put party first and his own career first ahead of what he knew was best for the country.

And when the Senate and House voted overwhelmingly to condemn and end the torture regime of Bush and Cheney in 2006, McCain again had a clear choice between good and evil, and chose evil.

He capitulated and enshrined torture as the policy of the United States, by allowing the CIA to use techniques as bad as and worse than the torture inflicted on him in Vietnam. He gave the war criminals in the White House retroactive immunity against the prosecution they so richly deserve. The enormity of this moral betrayal, this betrayal of his country's honor, has yet to sink in. But for my part, it now makes much more sense. He is not the man I thought he was.

And when he had the chance to engage in a real and substantive debate against the most talented politician of the next generation in a fall campaign where vital issues are at stake, what did McCain do? He began his general campaign with a series of grotesque, trivial and absurd MTV-style attacks on Obama's virtues and implied disgusting things about his opponent's patriotism.

And then, because he could see he was going to lose, ten days ago, he threw caution to the wind and with no vetting whatsoever, picked a woman who, by her decision to endure her own eight-month pregnancy of a Down Syndrome child in public, that he was going to reignite the culture war as a last stand against Obama. That's all that is happening right now: a massive bump in the enthusiasm of the Christianist base. This is pure Rove.

Yes, McCain made a decision that revealed many appalling things about him. In the end, his final concern is not national security. No one who cares about national security would pick as vice-president someone who knows nothing about it as his replacement. No one who cares about this country's safety would gamble the security of the world on a total unknown because she polled well with the Christianist base. No person who truly believed that the surge was integral to this country's national security would pick as his veep candidate a woman who, so far as we can tell anything, opposed it at the time.

McCain has demonstrated in the last two months that he does not have the character to be president of the United States. And that is why it is more important than ever to ensure that Barack Obama is the next president. The alternative is now unthinkable. And McCain - no one else - has proved it.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...egri.html#more

And this from someone who was once one of McCain's most ardent supporters.

McCain is one sick bastard and Palin is a nut; and they're both consummate liars.

Đ

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Điego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 06:00 PM   #3
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Điego View Post
And this from someone who was once one of McCain's most ardent supporters.

McCain is one sick bastard and Palin is a nut; and they're both consummate liars.

Đ
I take it that U are quoting the mtv vid awards. That is one fuc'd brain deader UKer.

Like U, he is not living here and loves to take the piss on AMERICA.

U claim to be an US citizen.....

I challange U to use all caps when U refer to AMERICA.

I know this will never happen.

Look what has happened to where you live ........./ progressive/wackkie/ liberal shit will never work.

Mr ego diego (with the funny - thru the D) will never admit he is ........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA....
Old 10-09-08, 08:59 PM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Have you ever stopped to consider people outside the US that can be bothered to take the time to follow what is going on in politics there ,actually care about the US and if they are pissing on anything they are pissing on the individual candidates/statement/story/corruption..etc etc and not AMERICA or AMERICANS....

Honestly can you be so blind as not to see the effects of this recent economic slowdown caused by the housing market there take its toll in every other western democratic nation in the world?

I would probably avoid the idea that US is so hated by the rest of the world ,take faith in the fact that it is largely viewed as the 'Great Nation' that IT is .Protect the freedoms that the men that shaped IT put in place ,that got you that 'Great Nation' status and admiration from people of other nations. If there ever was a probability point in your existance smacking you in the face saying 'this is a fork in the road, choose carefully which way to go' it is now with the choosing of your next president.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 02:37 AM   #5
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

Good post, Multi. Should have happened a long time ago. I just hope we don't go any deeper. We made a good name for ourselves, and now we seem to be taking that name and soiling it. We do have a great nation, and have the capabilities to do great good, or do great harm. I admit our choice in leader has been lacking, but we always hope for better.

From what I have seen so far this political race has been marred by the usual mudslinging, and the issues have been ignored for the most part. Lies abound. Nobody wants to give an inch. I am still amazed by the willing ignorance of the public to the important issues, in deference to the medias' pop-culture celebrity look at politics. A gaffe is more important than a serious opinion by a policy maker.

Anyway, my point on topic, was about politicians in general being liars. At least in the circumstances we have in the USA today. You can hear truth from them, but it is often shrouded in double talk and vagary that makes it essentially meaningless.

McCain/Palin = Nutters = No Good = Remorse
Obama/Biden = Try = Fail = Same

Bah!!!!!! That's my interpretation of this election. I'm still voting third party.
P2P Consortium
vernarial is offline   Reply With Quote