Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-02, 07:31 AM   #1
dead_frog
Oddball

Lightbulb placement of 1st singles on an album

Have you ever taken the time to look at the placement of that 1st single? Noticed the dreaded second track? I've come to the conclusion that, usually, putting a 1st single as first track on an album usually means the album is quite good, "we're not afraid to put this first because we've got lots more good stuff to come after" - although I don't have too many examples of this one to be sure... plus lots of those Pop Factories use this technique. Probably more of a "Look! It's that Great Song You Love! Don't get bored with us yet!" in most cases.

The Later position is good as well (we're not afraid to put this all the way back here because the stuff before it doesn't suck). But what of that second spot? Put an average-to-better song on 1st, then the second track to get the listener pumped and perhaps subconsciously make the album sound better than it is?
Sure, there are exceptions (Ok Computer, Stories From The City and more) but there are some albums I tried out and realized that the second track (and 1st -sometimes only- single) was the best it had to offer.

Of course, the more I think about this the more exceptions I find so I'll just post this crap now and get it over with.

What about you, gots something? Examples, Exceptions?

Frogman says go ahead!
dead_frog is offline   Reply With Quote