P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 15-06-01, 11:54 PM   #1
nanook
just one of the gang...

Smile Tankgirl, some info please

i like u use both winmx and morpheus.

i've been wondering what u and others mean when u speak of "leaking memory" & running out of system resources.

i notice with morpheus, that if i were catching up with the posts in the forum, while downloading, it is soooooooooo slow.

is this what u mean, partially?

what else is happening to my computer, when using this program?

and is it a major problem?

also, have u heard anything about the new version of morpheus?

thanks, ever so much!!!!!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-01, 05:28 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi nanook!

A memory leak in a program means simply that the program allocates blocks of memory from the common memory pool shared by all your active software and forgets to return some of those blocks back to the pool when discarding them. If the program is constantly active (like Morpheus) even minor leaks add up quickly, robbing the system eventually from all free memory. The cure is to shut down and restart the program periodically. This is enough on more robust operating systems (WinNT, Win2000) where each active program runs in its own memory space and cannot usually f/u other running programs. On low-end systems (Win95, Win98) you better reboot your computer to resume all discarded memory.

A new version of Morpheus should come out in a few days. This will still be just an upgrade to the existing version but the good news is that there should be a control for max concurrent uploads. Non-existing upload controls have been one of the week points of Morpheus, discouraging generous full-library sharing. If the limiters work we might see a huge and sudden increase in the amount of shared material on Morpheus.

The more interesting 'New Morpheus' - a totally revamped client as MC likes to put it (no details given or publicly discussed) - is probably still months away from now.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-01, 01:39 PM   #3
nanook
just one of the gang...

thanks again for your speedy reply, though mine isn't, i wrote that in the middle of the night and have been running like a chicken with my head cut off, today.

can't wait to see what mc has to offer.

if u, for instance, don't shut off the computer, can any memory loss be regained?

i have a feeling your answer will be, no.....

how can i tell or read if i have lost any, or check, next time i'm in there?

thanks, tg!!!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote