P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-02, 09:08 PM   #3
assorted
WAH!

I just ran gnucleus for the first time in some time (but i've updated to 1.6.3). i picked up my minimum of 4 nodes fairly quickly and then saw that each node had about 5-15 "friends" each... putting my total for the network at about 100 and about 100,000 MB; pretty pathetic.

So I removed all except the "largest" node (a whopping 35) to try again. This time my luck fared a little better connecting to around 300 "friends" with 300,000 MB shared. Still pretty pathetic.

Is this what's happening to people using Morpheus? Cuz they are gonna lose a lot of users if that is the case.

Also, this is EXACTLY what happened to gnutella 0.55 when napster closed. I remember it as exactly the same problem, connecting to nodes that aren't connecting to very many people at all and therefore getting shit for search results.... I remember later they blamed the problems on 56kers but really I think the problem lies with such a massive # of people logging on and off very quickly.

Wouldn't a solution to be to build into the client a demand to keep dropping nodes or adding them unless a minimum # of total "friends" is met?