P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-12-04, 10:42 PM   #1
thinker
Ex-Singular

Default Trying to get back in the game.

Things have obviously changed over the past couple of years, and I'm trying to get back into p2p without getting killed. I guess I want what a lot of people want - the ability to be pretty sneaky and avoid invasiveware, while actually finding some things and ending the day not feeling too bad about being a dial-up user. Just wondering what would be worth a look. Damn I feel like a n00b again. Haven't kept up as much while in school and with no comp.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-04, 03:04 AM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

eDonkey has the most stuff on it overall, and because you're on dialup it won't seem slow, which is the #1 complaint about the network.
Soulseek has lots of music and specialty rooms. Ditto WinMX which is still around. Kazaa is pretty much dead; Ares is similar but without the fakes. BitTorrent is the big deal that's taken off in the last year. Shareaza combines eDonkey, Gnutella, G2, and BitTorrent. That might be a quick way to get you back into the game.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-04, 10:16 PM   #3
smokey227
Napsterite

Which of these have spyware & which don't? Do you have links to download sites for these (non-spyware versions of course).
smokey227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-04, 12:46 AM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

edonkey has emule as a spyware free alternative
kazza has kazza lite and several spyware free multi-network clients(for ed2k and fastrack(and others))
not sure on the gnutella clients
if its an open source client you can pretty much bet theres no spyware

no bit torrent ones with it that i am aware
and winmx and soulseek i presume to be clean
from the last time i used them
but was awhile back so i'm not 100%

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-04, 11:59 AM   #5
smokey227
Napsterite

Which if any of these allows a person to search by a specific user so friends can download from each other?
Old 18-12-04, 01:22 PM   #6
multi

soulseek is one that comes to mind..
if its music you are after

maybe you might want to think about a small waste mesh or DC hub...
(check zer0share thread or http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...ad.php?t=16525 to get an idea about waste(warning:long threads)-but it sounds perfect for what your'e asking )

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard

Last edited by multi : 18-12-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 18-12-04, 03:01 PM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey227
Which of these have spyware & which don't? Do you have links to download sites for these (non-spyware versions of course).
You can download eMule from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/emule/

burst! - a good BitTorrent client is available from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/burst/

WASTE, a great client to set up small trust groups, is available from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/waste/

All above clients are quality open source software from the good guys - no adware, no spyware.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-04, 03:03 PM   #8
smokey227
Napsterite

what I'm trying to do is I have a friend in another state who is not very computer savvy. I want to share a bunch of MP3's that I have downloaded so he can burn his own CD's. So I need to pick a p2p program where he can search for me as a user to download my stuff & also is not difficult for him to use. How easy is Soulseek to use?

I was using Kazaa lite & quit last August since I wasn't getting great results. Haven't been using anything since. Now I'm going to try other programs. Do some of these clash with each other or can I use all of these at the same time so I can try out which is best for me?
Old 18-12-04, 03:10 PM   #9
napho
Dawn's private genie

Just use this. It doesn't even need to install. It allows you to share with a friend through a browser. Uploads and downloads. And since you can use a download manager, nothing is faster.

http://www.rejetto.com/temp/hfs2.0beta10.zip
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-04, 03:20 PM   #10
multi

in soulseek you can i am pretty sure set up your own passworded chat channel
ie.#smokey&freinds
if you start one then
you can probably organise them from there
send them a message to download the soulseek client and then look for
#smokey&friends in the list of channels

you might have to walk them through the first connect
so it would help to have them on some instant message as well..

not sure about sending files through IM's anymore used to do it alot
dont know if its such a good idea these days ..but i guess thats always an option
there is gmail and usendit and a few other email options about for sending big files too

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 18-12-04, 05:59 PM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey227
what I'm trying to do is I have a friend in another state who is not very computer savvy. I want to share a bunch of MP3's that I have downloaded so he can burn his own CD's. So I need to pick a p2p program where he can search for me as a user to download my stuff & also is not difficult for him to use. How easy is Soulseek to use?

I was using Kazaa lite & quit last August since I wasn't getting great results. Haven't been using anything since. Now I'm going to try other programs. Do some of these clash with each other or can I use all of these at the same time so I can try out which is best for me?
if soulseek were any easier to use the riaa would just send your friend whatever cd's he wanted. turn it on, type in a user name then browse and download. i have regulars who get my stuff. they have me in their favorite list and my username turns blue when i log on. two clicks and they're looking at my share folder. two more and they're downloading. it really is that simple.

there is however one caveat: whatever you share is available to everyone. they could get queued but soulseek is an open-sharing platform like almost every free p2p app out there with no security whatsoever. if you're looking for something free that only your friend can see then WASTE is the ticket. don't know how i ever got along without it. it’s so easy on the system you'll probably leave it running forever, but once you get the hang of it you can set it up for one particular job then delete the mesh when you're done, severing that connection permanently or until you want to re-establish it. files can remain network accessible as long as they’re archived – months, years, decades even - they won’t evaporate in 90 days like bt. short of mailing off your harddrive (another great way to share) i think it's perfect for your needs as you've described them above. and don’t worry about clashes. you can run a bunch of these at the same time without conflicts. eventually they might kill you on resources but they all play well together.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-04, 10:03 AM   #12
smokey227
Napsterite

Thanks for all the great info. I will be busy during the holidays getting back to downloading fun. Lots of catching up to do.