P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-06-04, 12:15 PM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Mad more assHATCHery

damn you orin,damn your eyes...

Quote:
Even a moment's reflection should make the danger to innovators clear -- you now have to worry not just about contributory and vicarious liability, but an entirely new form of liability for building tools that might be misused. It will be interesting to see whether the bill expressly precludes any Betamax-type defense. This may also pose First Amendment problems, to the extent a journalist or website publisher might be liable for simply posting information about where infringement tools might be found or how to use them.
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/001631.php

Quote:
Chapter 5 of title 17, United States Code, is amended by adding to the end of section 501 the following: (g) Intentional Inducement of Infringement.-Whoever intentionally induces any violation identified in subsection (a) of this section shall be liable as an infringer. (l) In subsection (g), "intentionally induces" means intentionally aids, abets, induces, counsels, or procures, and intent may be shown by acts from which a reasonable person would find intent to induce infringement based upon all relevant information about such acts then reasonably available to the actor, including whether the activity relies on infringement for its commercial viability. (2) Nothing in this section shall enlarge or diminish the doctrines of vicarious or contributory liability for copyright infringement or require any court to unjustly withhold or impose any secondary liability for copyright infringement.
this one is directed at all of us that use any of the many p2p forums

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-04, 12:45 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

Those rat bastards don't scare me!!!!!
This seems like an appropriate time to introduce my new sig.

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-04, 04:59 PM   #3
multi

i wonder if ZP will put this story in their news..
maybe they will have to edit my headline title...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 18-06-04, 11:50 PM   #4
JackSpratts

orrin hatch is a dangerous fool. he's been playing this game for some time. proposing draconian laws against the people he serves in order to prop up the industries who've bought him. that he himself violates copyrights with no apology is really all anyone need know of the man and his morals. he's the worst kind of hypocrite: a lawmaker. i wish i could vote against him but i don't want to move to his state.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-04, 12:38 AM   #5
multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
i wonder if ZP will put this story in their news..
maybe they will have to edit my headline title...
they posted it and used my headline..

LOL

we hate you orin !

whats the flap on the back of a pair of long johns called?

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 21-06-04, 09:33 AM   #6
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
whats the flap on the back of a pair of long johns called?
A shortcut.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-04, 04:24 PM   #7
walktalker
The local newspaper man

Here's a good story about Hatch:
http://www.boston.com/business/techn...understanding/

I liked that bit:
Quote:
Indeed, they predict that Hatch's bill would ban digital music players, outlaw home videotaping, and force cats and dogs to sleep together. Well, never mind that last bit. But you get the idea.
LOL

Curiously, the story ends like this:
Quote:
Maybe it's because critics of the Hatch bill have gotten it wrong. After all, the bill would require a showing that the technology intentionally induces a copyright violation. [...] But what are the substantial legitimate uses for Grokster or Morpheus or Kazaa? Virtually none. The file-swapping programs are used almost exclusively by thieves, who rob recording artists of billions every year. Shed no tears for them. Weep instead for poor Orrin -- not a bad fellow, but misunderstood.
Is THAT a joke ?!?
Old 02-07-04, 12:25 PM   #8
multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by walktalker
Here's a good story about Hatch:
http://www.boston.com/business/techn...understanding/

I liked that bit:

LOL

Curiously, the story ends like this:

Is THAT a joke ?!?
i guess its in their /business section so the proofreader or editor or someone added a little somthing to keep all the conservative business types from sending angry letters..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 07-07-04, 10:35 AM   #9
multi

Screwy more...

US Congressman Rick Boucher took up arms against the Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act bill, being brought before Congress right now, in a website interview at Inside Digital Media this week.

In answer to questions put by IDM's Phil Leigh, Boucher made it clear that he would fight tooth and claw to prevent the new bill from making it into law in its current form. Boucher himself is supporting and presenting a bill that calls for changes to be made to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which he feels is misguided in by making the bypassing of copy protection illegal in its own right.

Some quotes here taken from the interview give some comfort. "I will work against this act. It is very poorly defined and it could target just about anyone. Even a university giving its students broadband access, could, under the current wording, be construed as inducing a copyright breach.

"Anyone making ANY kind of recording device, even an innocent recorder that has many other fair uses, could be in breach of this law just for making that technology available. Frankly there is no need for the statute at all."

The bill has been introduced by Senator Orrin Hatch, and has the backing of the leaders of both sides of the house according to Boucher, including Bill Frist, the US senator for Tennessee, the majority leader.

"Neither of the leaders are on a judiciary committee or the commerce committee and although I'm not suggesting that their support is inappropriate, this bill will have to go through the Judiciary committee and I sit on that. I will certainly be collecting examples of potential cases that can be brought under this bill and weeding out potential misuses," promised Boucher.

Boucher is not the only voice to suggest that the Apple iPod might be a target for this bill, instead of the file sharing peer to peer networks that it was supposed to see off. The original advertising campaign of the iPod was "Rip, burn, listen" and it could be attacked as copyright inducing.

MP3 players and DVD recorders could come in for the same treatment say some, including legal brains that support the Personal Freedom Coalition.

Boucher points out that the bill is designed to overturn a decision in the Californian court that said that Grokster was not responsible for contributory infringement because its technology has substantial other, non-infringing uses other than just breaching copyright. If the bill becomes law it would threaten the Supreme Court decision from 20 years ago that Sony, when it introduced the betamax video player, was in the same way, non-infringing, as the court saw that time shifting was not an infringement of copyright.

"The Sony decision has stood the test of time," said Boucher and called on US citizens to write their condemnation of the bill to their member of congress.

from

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard

Last edited by multi : 08-07-04 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-07-04, 02:08 AM   #10
multi

What The? and more..

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Reading from the Bible on the floor of the Senate on Tuesday, Sen. Orrin Hatch endorsed a federal judicial nominee who wrote that wives should have a subordinate role in marriage, with the Utah Republican emphasizing "millions and millions of people will agree with" that view.

Said Hatch: "I believe all of us have made statements in the past for which we wished we could apologize."
more..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 24-08-04, 09:51 PM   #11
multi

Very Angry Major telcos and device makers go after Induce Act

Quote:
"In your letter to the Register of Copyrights, you expressed interest in a "technology-neutral law directed at a small set of bad actors while protecting our legitimate technology industries from frivolous litigation,'" the Do Not Induct backers wrote to the senators. "We have developed such an alternative that would address mass, indiscriminate infringing conduct while preserving the Supreme Court’s Betamax decision, the Magna Carta of the technology industry which is in no small measure responsible for our nation’s preeminence in technological innovation and entrepreneurship. We believe that the enclosed draft meets these goals and serves as the best platform for the discussion of the interests of all concerned parties."
link

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 01-09-04, 05:01 PM   #12
schmooky007
hi

orrin hatch is a pain in the ass for the p2p movement. he's very frustrated people aren't buying his music any more

www.hatchmusic.com