FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 23-11-05, 04:04 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Arrow Warner Music settles N.Y. payola case with 5M$

Globe and Mail:

Quote:
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Warner Music Group Corp. has agreed to pay $5-million (U.S.) to settle an investigation into payoffs for radio airplay of artists, New York Attorney-General Eliot Spitzer said yesterday.

Warner is the second major recording company to reform and settle with Mr. Spitzer in a practice the Attorney-General said was "pervasive." In July, Sony BMG Music Entertainment agreed to pay $10-million and stop bribing radio stations to feature artists.

"Unfortunately, other companies continue to engage" in the practices, he said. "I applaud Warner's decision to halt this conduct, co-operate fully with my office, and adopt new business practices."

The money that Warner Music has agreed to pay in the civil settlement will be distributed by the Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors to New York State to fund music programs in the state.

Whole article here
Yes, they have "pervasively" corrupted and spoiled the radio as a media to discover good new music. No wonder people prefer to find their music through Internet and p2p instead.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-05, 06:33 PM   #2
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Well, these settlements are clearly unfair to artists like Eminem and thousands of others who've worked so long and hard "paying their dues"... (cough)

Quote:
Mr. Spitzer said the settlements with Sony and Warner should benefit artists and consumers, who can expect a wider range of artists on the airwaves based on "artistic merits."
I'm investing in electric blankets now, there's bound to be a huge leap in demand for them ...in Hell.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-05, 12:49 AM   #3
Gutrguy
Semiblind

i still hear nickelback every 20 fucking minutes...nothing has changed
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote