P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 15-08-01, 11:13 AM   #1
eclectica

Default chord progressions

Usually a song is in a key, either Major or Minor. Some songs use a series of chord progressions to get the feel of a key. A chord basically is the first, third, and fifth notes of the key played all at once. The most common chord progression I've heard is playing chords on the first, the fourth and the fifth. For example, a Song in G Major would have G Major, C Major, and D Major. I don't know if this would be called R&B style, but it bores me because I consider it unimaginative. An example would be Led Zeppelin's "the lemon song".

Here are some examples of songs which use a series of chord progressions. They all start in the overall key of the song. Notice that the individual chords played within the overall key of the song are compatible with the key, but variances also make a song interesting too. I think Pachelbel's song is the most developed, because the chord progressions become almost a background theme, whereas in Pink Floyd's example, the chord progression is the bulk of the song.

For fun, I played on my keyboard the chord progressions of the various songs backwards, but they didn't work out as "good" sounding songs. I also played Floyd's progression on my keyboard with the Pachelbel song playing in the background, and then vice versa, because their keys are compatible to each other.

Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D 6 MB
The recording is a little sharp, like A=441 hertz.
chord progression:
-D Major
-A Major
-B Minor
-F# Minor
-G Major
-D Major
-G Major
-A Major

Pink Floyd - a saucerful of secrets 17 MB
The part of the song with the chord progression starts at 8:39 in the song. They end the song in B Major, even though the song is in B Minor. That particularly reminds me of the style of Bach.
chord progression:
-B Minor
-A Major
-E Major
-F# Major
-D Major
-G Major
-E Major
-A Major
-F# Major
-B Minor
-G Major
-F# Major
-E Minor
-D Major
-F# Major (played 2X)

August Tower - she knows 7 MB
This is one I worked on with some other people.
chord progression:
-E Minor
-B Major
-B Minor
-A Major
-C Major
-G Major
-B Minor (played 2X)
Old 10-09-01, 03:02 AM   #2
eclectica

SAO - kalen j. craig & chicken little in the buddha's jacuzzi (sub ambient remix).mp3 9MB

How could I forget? Here's another one, which was stuck in my head the last few days. Then I realized it too had a series of chord progressions. I listened to it, and realized that unlike the other examples above, the series of chord progressions in this song doesn't point to any larger overall key of the song.

By listening I was first able to deduce the notes E, B, G, C, E, G, D, C. Then I realized that each note was the fifth of the major chord which went with the note.

chord progression:
E (A Major)
B (E Major)
G (C Major)
C (F Major)
E (A Major)
G (C Major)
D (G Major)
C (F Major)
Old 18-09-01, 07:11 PM   #3
Mekajinn
green