Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 06-10-04, 03:32 PM   #1
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Default PINK FLOYD TOP GROUP OF ALL TIME - AND REUNION RUMOURS IN Q

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

Pink Floyd feature in the latest (November 2004) issue of the normal monthly version of Q Magazine. They have beaten the Rolling Stones and U2 to win the accolade of the top band of all time, based on album and concert ticket sales. Q awarded them the top spot for their 23.3 million-selling album of 'The Wall' album, for playing to 125,000 fans at Knebworth House (as part of the 1990 Nordoff-Robbins show) and for spending a total of 911 weeks on the UK chart with Dark Side Of The Moon.

Here's the run down of who they reckon are the top bands:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Rolling Stones
4. U2
5. Queen
6. Dire Straits
7. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
8. The Beatles
9. Bob Marley and the Wailers
10. Fleetwood Mac

Q also are running a story on their news pages that they understand that the current Floyd and Roger Waters are considering a reunion! It says "Nearly 20 years after the acrimonious departure of frontman Roger Waters, Pink Floyd are rumoured to be putting aside their considerable differences and reuniting for a series of lucrative shows next year." It then gives a potted history of Floyd and the breakup.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 04:36 PM   #2
thinker
Ex-Singular

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian slip

based on album and concert ticket sales...

That's the problem. My two favorite bands rank 2 and 6, but who I prefer isn't based on album and concert sales; it's a matter of taste and musicality. There are many, many things that PF have done that I like as well. I would rather argue on a band's behalf due to these things (taste and musicality) than shite publicity. Don't misinterpret here; I say this because of the future. The bands listed in that top 10 are pretty legit from a musicality standpoint and some have had very long careers as well, which helps in the list. I fear, however, that some of today's and the recent past's subpar "artists" could have a chance of vaulting ahead one day if the industry can keep them artificially on top long enough, or as long as many stay ignorant to what really is musical and keep on with whatever the powers that be dictate. Some may say that the market will weed out the inferiors, but we are at a point where so many segments of the market have been controlled in such a manner that this may not happen the way it used to. In fact, we all really know it's already started. How will this list look in another 5, 10, or 20 years? I really think it was beneath Q to put a list like this out based merely on sales, regardless of what the results are or will be in possible future incarnations.

The reunion rumors are interesting, though, but always beware of those, no matter who or how tantalizing. Furthermore...

"Pink Floyd are rumoured to be...reuniting for a series of lucrative shows next year."

Do the shows have to be lucrative? If so, to what degree? It would seem an ill-fated way to consider such an endeavour (reunion).
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 01:10 AM   #3
greedy_lars
everything you do

Jimmy 'cough' Buffet tickets go for how much?

Simon and Garfunkel you say?

Steely Dan?

In light of what many oldsters get for a seat on these reunion tours would you begrudge Roger and co a nicer retirement?

Didn't think so.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 08:16 AM   #4
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Quote:
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

They have beaten the Rolling Stones and U2 to win the accolade of the top band of all time, based on album and concert ticket sales.
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A well deserved earn!!
Attached Images

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

May each sun find you well
Jadesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 08:54 AM   #5
daddydirt
even the losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedy_lars
In light of what many oldsters get for a seat on these reunion tours would you begrudge Roger and co a nicer retirement?
oh puhleeeeeeze, i'm getting verklempt

nicer than what, already living like a king?

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/news/?y=04&id=0418

Money, it's a gas. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

£78,000,000.00 GBP = $140,113,690.76 USD
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 08:06 PM   #6
greedy_lars
everything you do

lol, not only did he write almost all of the best stuff floyd ever did, he was shrewd enough with money too. rock on roger!
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 08:25 PM   #7
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Pink Floyd Reunion?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...l?200410071103

some sort of new music by them would be good
but i wouldnt get my hopes up..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 02:46 PM   #8
JackSpratts

In 3 weeks they'll stick it to the U.S.

Pink Floyd Reuniting For Live 8 Concert
Jonathan Cohen

Pink Floyd's classic lineup of Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright will perform for the first time in more than 20 years at the London Live 8 concert. The event, which aims to increase world awareness of African debt and hunger issues, will be held July 2 at the city's Hyde Park.

Pink Floyd has not performed live since the 1994 tour in support of its last studio album, "The Division Bell." Waters has not been a part of the band since 1983, and his dealings with Gilmour have been rancorous in the ensuing years. Waters even sued Gilmour, unsuccessfully, for touring under the Pink Floyd name without him following the band's initial split after the album "The Final Cut."

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," Gilmour writes on Pink Floyd's official Web site. "It's crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations. Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention, then it's got to be worthwhile."

Speculation about a Pink Floyd reunion has been rampant in recent months; 2005 marks the 30th anniversary of the band's landmark album "Wish You Were Here."
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar...id=1000955275#
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 04:22 PM   #9
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

OMG! how much for a ticket to the UK?

im feeling giddy!
Old 12-06-05, 05:13 PM   #10
JackSpratts

Quote:
OMG! how much for a ticket to the UK?

im feeling giddy!
plenty i'm afraid. a quick perusal of orbitz showed wknd tickets from ny to heathrow starting at $789 rt with everything. be worth it go earlier and try standby.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-05, 01:22 AM   #11
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

to bad someone over there cant download me

oh well , its not like its a real pink floyd show but its still some freaking awesome history being made. if they have enough fun together then maybe a new album and tour could happen.

i'll def be watching it on the tele or puter
Old 13-06-05, 08:08 PM   #12
RDixon

It isn't set yet which show they will play but I highly doubt it will be the one in Philly that I could attend.
Most likely will be the one in Hyde Park.
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-05, 02:28 AM   #13
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Thumbs up

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10218124.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	9994  
Old 22-06-05, 04:04 PM   #14
tafkaMr.E
Fatter Git

If it's any consolation to you the tickets were given away in a "Text Lottery" a couple of weeks ago and thanks to Bob Geldof kicking up a fuss they can't be bought on E-bay either.
Rumour has it that the doors are going to be flung open to all who turn up at Hyde Park anyway, would be a bit irresponsible if so.
Old 06-07-05, 01:17 PM   #15
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Attached Images

Old 06-07-05, 02:17 PM   #16
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour says he will donate profits from his Live 8 appearance to charity -- and has urged other artists to do the same.

Retailers have reported a huge upsurge in Pink Floyd sales since the band reunited for Saturday's concert in Hyde Park. The concert was one of 10 around the world designed to pressure leaders of the G-8 nations to strike a deal for impoverished African countries at their summit in Scotland this week.

HMV said sales of Pink Floyd's album "Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd" had gone up by 1,343 percent since the weekend.

"Though the main objective has been to raise consciousness and put pressure on the G-8 leaders, I will not profit from the concert," Gilmour said in a statement Monday.
a nice move on Gilmore's part

Quote:
"If other artists feel like donating their extra royalties to charity, perhaps then the record companies could be persuaded to make a similar gesture and that would be a bonus," he said.
yeah, good luck with that one.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...usic-headlines
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-05, 12:05 PM   #17
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Smile Roger Waters

Pink Floyd's bass man on the blues and the Floyd reunion at Live 8

Quote:
It looked like you were having the time of your life. He continued: "I was very happy -- I definitely felt warm and cuddly toward everyone in the band. I decided that if anything came up in rehearsals -- any difference of opinion -- I would just roll over. And I did." He flatly denies talk of a future tour in the U.S., even for the reported $150 million payday. "I don't really need it," he says. "It would be a very hot ticket. That said, I didn't mind rolling over for one day, but I couldn't roll over for a whole fucking tour."

Scaggs asked him what he thought David Gilmour felt: "He did send me an e-mail afterward, saying, "Hi, Rog, I'm glad you made that phone call. It was fun, wasn't it?" So he obviously had fun."