P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-03, 01:34 AM   #1
JackSpratts

Default More WAVs Appearing On Networks

As hard drives get bigger and highbandwidth becomes widespread, digital song files known as WAVs are becoming more and more common on file sharing networks like Fasttrack and Gnutella. WAV files are unique among formats because they are for all intents and purposes exact replicas of the actual songs on the CDS themselves, and unlike MP3s, OGGS and WMAs they have essentially zero loss in quality due to compression. The problem with WAVs is that one song is the same size as an entire album of MP3s, taking up to 10 times the hard drive space and download time. But combine the latest 100+ gig drives with broadband and you’ve got a system that handles the hefty files as easily as systems of a year or two ago did with MP3s. For instance my new hard drive holds more WAVs now than my old one held MP3s. Like wise my aDSL downloads a WAV faster than my dialup handles an MP3 - so it’s not surprising that they’re showing up more and more.

Earlier tonight I met a KaZaA user who had nothing but WAVs in his folder – hundreds of them with no MP3s at all. That's something that until recently would have been unheard of. I d/l'd a dozen or so high quality files that will make excellent CDS, with razor sharp definition and astonishing punch.

If it’s unsurpassed sound you crave then WAVs are the way to go, if your system can handle them. The difference in quality really is startling and the word is getting around.

- js.
JackSpratts is online now   Reply With Quote