P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-04-01, 10:35 AM   #81
greedy_lars
everything you do

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

The very reason we're here is to cut loose from the realities represented in what is in fact "content".
Our lives are filled with "content" for Christ's sake.

Laugh and be merry!

If you have something useful to say, by all means say it.
Just remember, I'm here to get away from were I was before I came here. I appriciate those who don't try to force "content" down my throat.

wow got a reply to that one. lets see. mr floop, with all respect, i honestly feel ive done my part to be funny, or at least ive tried. matter of fact if you go back through all my posts(include chupa and swervys)id say most were intended to get a lol. and i got a few. but if i have a desire to open up a serious discussion, on a topic with content, is that really so bad? is it being shoved down yer throat when its one of maybe 2 or 3 content laden threads surrounded by a sea of mamby pamby hugging and kissing? maybe it is.

tank girls idea is interesting, but if i read it correctly, yer suggesting a seperate forum for the content related stuff. on the one hand it would help said threads remain visible longer, but on the other hand, at best all you will get is the same 4 or 5 people responding that were before.

ocassionally after i feel ive belted out a couple of really good topics, and they drop unresponded to under a barrage of fluff, i get a little huffy, and say waaaaaaaaaaaa. what can i do. it doesnt make any differance when i do. but it makes me feel better.

ahhhhh i feel better

now if people would quit interupting me while im trying to write this, how rude, (people at work just dun understand).

what advice might i lend to someone else who aspires to post content? if it wont piss ya off when it drops like a rock, then post it. i like to imagine that lots of people have read my posts, even if mostly the same few respond. some of the responses ive got made them worth posting.

be irie

edit: ya know something just occured to me. notice how i added this as a response to an ongoing thread instead of running and makeing a new thread? theres yer attn span malk, and not haveing such a blantent need to start yer own thread, piggy backing on someone elses. weak. like the epidemic of clone threads. couldent limit it to a couple of threads. no everone gotta start a new one, till the whole front page is more derivitive clone threads. weak.

like when este posts one of her o so kick ass funny pictures threads, and people are adding to it. then some dumb ass goes and makes a new thread for a funny picture he has, instead of posting i in estes thread. "look at me look at me!!!" dork

one more thing while im bitching. bumping yer own threads, for the sake of doing so, that is not replying to someone, is weakest.

ahhhhh, i feel even better than before, hey this bitching shit is kinda fun...............

Last edited by greedy_lars : 17-04-01 at 10:50 AM.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 10:46 AM   #82
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars

now if people would quit interupting me while im trying to write this, how rude, (people at work just dun understand).

what advice might i lend to someone else who aspires to post content? if it wont piss ya off when it drops like a rock, then post it. i like to imagine that lots of people have read my posts, even if mostly the same few respond. some of the responses ive got made them worth posting.

I have the same thing at work! The NERVE of some people, interrupting me when I'm posting!!

Also, for what it's worth greedy, I actually search for your posts. That's how much I enjoy them.
Old 17-04-01, 11:46 AM   #83
Metal Girl

Exclamation

Well there are reasons people have for not getting involved in these type threads. I have MANY, MANY reasons why I don't...To go into all of them now would take me all night, so here's one that is the main factor in my decision to stay outta these type threads.

First off, as we have already seen here, tempers start getting outta hand and the name calling starts...It seems no matter what your position on topics such as these, there is always someone who is more than willing to challenge you on your beliefs and be a rude son-of-a-bitch about it too...but mostly, these people will try and tell you that you are not right. They are the ones who are right, they have all the answers to lifes questions, and unless you believe as they do, you are going straight to Hell in a Handbasket! I'm sorry, nothing in life is that cut and dry, not for me...and ESPECIALLY NOT IN RELIGION!!!

Well, anyway, none of this will ever sit well with me...I will believe what I believe and that's all there is to it. I do not in any WAY, SHAPE or FORM feel the need to either explain how I represent my religion or anything else that could lead to controversy here, or anywhere else on the internet...I have a life away from these boards that has real people in it, that I discuss these things with should the need to discuss them come up....People I love and respect as human beings, people I am sure will not jump down my throat and call me the unspeakable things I have been called over the internet, or make up clones and run around posting as me.

Those of you who feel that because we are not posting to your threads you are not being listened to can take heart in the fact that at least on the other side of THIS monitor, lies a person who pays attention to everything those of you with a brain post. And I appreciate it too, I just won't be setting myself up for the nasties ever again by posting to it that's all.

I've had enough on-line Drama to last me a life time, and from now on I will actively seek out the light hearted threads and post to them with a great big huge smile plastered all over my face.

And that is that, lol.

Last edited by Metal Girl : 17-04-01 at 12:05 PM.
Metal Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 11:53 AM   #84
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

The basic problem for having in-depth discussions on this board is probably the fact that the majority of the members are using it as a chatroom instead of a message board. What we are seeing is typical chatroom dynamics: people are focusing mainly on other board members rather than any 'serious' subjects being discussed - especially if the subjects require some attention span or deeper reflection. Personal, emotional, nonsense and joke threads dominate over factual, technical and philosophical discussion and the general chit-chat atmosphere tends to spill over to all threads.

What we have here is a better (actually way better) version of Napster's Speak Out. That is a fine thing in itself and as many people enjoy having a chatroom like this it obviously fulfills an important social function. The question is, should we also have something similar to Napster's Software Forum (not referring to the current Slashdot Black Hole they have) - a place for more substantial, non-personal, broadly p2p-oriented discussion with all the philosophical ramifications that would inevitably arise. Having The Underground channeling the social day-to-day chatting might leave room for the other forum to be more of a message board for thought-out discussions for those who prefer that form of communication over personal chatting. And those who like a bit of both worlds could easily pay a visit to both rooms under the same roof.

I am not sure if there are yet enough of us for such a thing to fly but it should not be too hard to give it a try. We already have Test Forum, Napsterite News and Technical Archives - Gaz could simply set up one more forum for this purpose and we could see whether it would become active and interesting enough to be worth keeping. Just an idea - what do you think, fellow Napsterites?

- tg

I think it's a great idea TankGirl and there's no reason we can't try it out.

So I've renamed the archive Forum to the Software Forum for high content posts etc.

If the members think of a better name or wish to have a sub category or another forum in time.

Please discuss it.

Thanks for the suggestion
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 12:10 PM   #85
reychal

Default bump for tg......

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

The basic problem for having in-depth discussions on this board is probably the fact that the majority of the members are using it as a chatroom instead of a message board. What we are seeing is typical chatroom dynamics: people are focusing mainly on other board members rather than any 'serious' subjects being discussed - especially if the subjects require some attention span or deeper reflection. Personal, emotional, nonsense and joke threads dominate over factual, technical and philosophical discussion and the general chit-chat atmosphere tends to spill over to all threads.

What we have here is a better (actually way better) version of Napster's Speak Out. That is a fine thing in itself and as many people enjoy having a chatroom like this it obviously fulfills an important social function. The question is, should we also have something similar to Napster's Software Forum (not referring to the current Slashdot Black Hole they have) - a place for more substantial, non-personal, broadly p2p-oriented discussion with all the philosophical ramifications that would inevitably arise. Having The Underground channeling the social day-to-day chatting might leave room for the other forum to be more of a message board for thought-out discussions for those who prefer that form of communication over personal chatting. And those who like a bit of both worlds could easily pay a visit to both rooms under the same roof.

I am not sure if there are yet enough of us for such a thing to fly but it should not be too hard to give it a try. We already have Test Forum, Napsterite News and Technical Archives - Gaz could simply set up one more forum for this purpose and we could see whether it would become active and interesting enough to be worth keeping. Just an idea - what do you think, fellow Napsterites?

- tg
i think a serious debate board would be a good idea.... not for just p2p but for any topic worthy of well thought out discussion... a board where the threads remain strict to the topic and impersonal would be a welcome addition to this forum.... IMO

Last edited by reychal : 17-04-01 at 12:13 PM.
reychal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 12:11 PM   #86
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Big thanks, Gaz! What a quick and positive response!

Now give me a few days to write my first serious essay on this board...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 12:11 PM   #87
reychal

oops gaz... you beat me
reychal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 12:12 PM   #88
HellBound

This is an article i found a long time ago and I liked it so much i bookmarked it.

What Could Happen

HellBound
Old 17-04-01, 12:43 PM   #89
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Default I would be a little nervous about that...

TankGirl:

concerning your last post on page 4

I can really understand where you're coming from on your ideas in that post, but would just be a little hesitant and cautious. I wouldn't want to see a repeat of what happened on the Napster board when Speak Out was created for similar reasons.

Talk about Sociology here ...part of the charm of the old Software forum at Napster from February to say July-August of last year was that it was populated with just the right blend of the more serious, informative, educational (in lots of areas - general computer knowledge - the audio wizards - philosophy - life) combined with the silly, zany, humorus, fun ...the appropriate balance mind you. It encouraged the more silly among us to occasionally put forth more reflective thought, and the more serious minded to occasionally lighten up a little. It also provided great entertainment value to see someone like rhallar respond to some ludicrous idiot or Some1 squash some moron with his sheer intellectual superiority.

What you suggest causes a division. We might as well have one forum labled "Grown-Ups" the other one "Kids". Should there be further divisions after that? I started to get funny with some obvious stereotypes there but I won't.

Napster Software Forum (especially February - May 2000) was just perfect ...not too silly. This forum is having a bit of a problem right now with often being a little too silly (you know, sometimes) ...and sometimes so sacchrine coated one does need an insuline shot before taking the trip ...which is why someone like CZAR just loves to come in and shake things up. I don't mean anything derrogatory by that at all ...nothing wrong with showing lottsa love & affection ...it's the same thing the filmmakers of the movie classic "The Sound of Music" were very cautious of the entire time they were making it ...not to be "too sacchrine" (their words) for fear of driving the audience away in droves. Obviously, they succeded.

Pardon me, I almost entirely left the subject there, but anyway this forum has the potential to do some interesting things and be as exciting as Napster in it's heyday when it all of a sudden became so famous last year, because at this point we're dealing with much more than just Napster. We're really moving more into the enire peer to peer file sharing technology and all that it entails. Much more your field TankGirl. Perhaps we should be called the Peer to Peer ...the peepeeites? lol

The Test Forum certainly seems to serve a valid purpose, but I often think walktalker's informative & helpful newslink posts are underappreciated over there by themselves in Napsterites News and wonder if he shouldn't put them in the main forum as well. Technical Archives ? ...I don't even know what that one is lol.

I would just be cautious of social division is all ...perhaps the idea could work well ...but then again ...perhaps not. I don't think we're quite the same thing as other forums where they have seperate forums for different things. This division just unsettles me is all.

edit: hehe ...looks like I'm a little late

Last edited by Maze : 17-04-01 at 12:45 PM.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 12:49 PM   #90
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

reychal ...love your new avatar.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 12:54 PM   #91
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by HellBound
This is an article i found a long time ago and I liked it so much i bookmarked it.

What Could Happen

HellBound

Good Article, but it is full of holes..."Whatever happens, the legal decisions surrounding Napster are important for reasons that transcend the music business and extend to our basic concepts of what it means to be free in a democracy. "

What democracy??? There is no Democracy.

"As a computer scientist, I see only too clearly that no matter how much money litigants spend in attempts to stop file sharing, the practice will go on anyway. As a citizen, I fear the threat to democracy implicit in my thought experiment, particularly because I suspect people might allow this threat to come to fruition before they understand the circumstances and long-term effects. The sane solution is not to waste all our energies fighting pointless battles in court but to seek out creative means of compensating musicians— and the technicians and businesspeople who make it possible for them to create their songs. "

Again there is no threat to Democracy because there is no democracy....and I agree with the rest....

Last edited by Sinner : 17-04-01 at 12:55 PM.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 12:56 PM   #92
greedy_lars
everything you do

never mind ive bitched enough for it not even being 5 pm yet...............perhaps ill climb back on my soap box after work...................

Last edited by greedy_lars : 17-04-01 at 01:25 PM.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 01:22 PM   #93
Metal Girl

Say Wha?

Quote:
why did you move this one gaz? it might acually spark some real thought provoking debate in the main forum?waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I got the impression that the thread starter was none too pleased with the way things were going here and the call for the new forum was a direct result of, and specifically intended for, threads such as these.

Maybe I'm wrong...It happens quite often, lol.

Last edited by Metal Girl : 17-04-01 at 01:25 PM.
Old 17-04-01, 03:22 PM   #94
Metal Girl

Cool

Quote:
never mind ive bitched enough for it not even being 5 pm yet...............perhaps ill climb back on my soap box after work...................
Old 17-04-01, 07:14 PM   #95
Malk-a-mite

Default ...vry odd.

Seen about 3-4 responses addressing why they don't comment on content based threads.

That's fine.

A few comments on why they don't share information.

Again, that's fine.

But would people agree not taking the threads someplace else also be a sign of respect for your fellow Napsterites? If you do not have a comment or a wish to join that particular debate if would be perfectly fine to sit and view the happenings?

I for one do watch the "views" and "replies" when deciding if a topic I drop out there is something that is interesting to the board.

(By the way - this in and off itself is a discussion of the community enviroment that started this whole thread :] )

*spelling edits
===================

Last edited by Malk-a-mite : 17-04-01 at 09:02 PM.
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 08:05 PM   #96
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

The original kuro5hin essay is still generating some very interesting and intelligent discussion on their site... and this 'reference thread' has also managed to make some noticable ripples on this board...

You are of course right Malk, it should have been left to your discretion to move your thread over here if you so wished. When I made my proposition of a new forum I certainly didn't imply moving any existing threads from Underground over here but rather giving the posters liberty to experiment with more substantial/on-topic discussion outside the daily chitchat of the Underground.

Anyway, I am glad that we have this 'alternative' forum... let's see how it will develop...

Thanks again, Malk, for bringing that great essay to our knowledge and also for introducing me to the kuro5hin site... having seen the quality of discussion there I will surely keep on checking them on regular basis...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 09:12 PM   #97
Metal Girl

Exclamation Malk...

You do know that if you want, you can move this thread back into the general forum right? We can all move our own posts here.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but from tg's comments I'm getting the impression now that you aren't pleased with the move. So I just wanted to let ya know you can just move it back if ya like.

Hi tg

Old 17-04-01, 10:37 PM   #98
Malk-a-mite

The location of the thread isn't so much an issue as the direction of it.

Edit:

Not pleased, pleased, whatever - emotion isn't really an issue with this for me. More of a logical discussion at this time.

If I was annoyed I wouldn't post for the most part.
"Friends don't let friends post stupid."

:)
===================

Last edited by Malk-a-mite : 17-04-01 at 10:39 PM.
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-01, 11:46 PM   #99
Metal Girl

I get the feeling I'm just adding to the problem here now.

In my defense, all I can say is some of the posts made me feel guilty for not responding to the more serious threads being posted and I felt an explanation was in order.

With that said, I'll wish you luck and be on my way now.

Good luck in whatever it is you are trying to do here.
Old 18-04-01, 03:50 PM   #100
Unregistered
Experienced yet still enigmatical

Quote:

floop why would i care, ill be dead. i think my surviving family members should tie a cinder block to my feet and toss me in de ocean after i expire, im not terribly worried about what comes next.....to my physical body.....
My point exactly. Maybe I should have made myself clearer. If one is the master of his destiny, why would death be an option. If you rule your destiny it would have to be an option you are permitting, otherwise, you're not it's master. That's what I ment about stopping your body from being devoured.
Why are you so defensive with me lately?
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote