P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 09-12-01, 01:28 PM   #1
nanook
just one of the gang...

muhaaaa Winmx Question

i have a friend who has switched from a 56 k to a dsl (256kb) connection. They have 2.6 version of winmx installed. They are using Windows 98 and they have a Windows Internet connection shared between 2 pc's.

since switching to the dsl they have been having problems finding servers or the delay to find a server is huge.

is there a problem with the connection with the 2 pc's or is there a certain way to configure their winmx?????????

if no prob with the 2 connecting pc's.......how should they configure the winmx?

thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-01, 02:13 PM   #2
Ruger

I'm not real familiar with DSL connections so I'm not much help there. Are they running a firewall or a router? Proxy? This may have something to do with it. Changes can be made in the settings/connections tab.

It may just be nothing also as for the past week I have noticed longer connection times as well for the WPNP. The developers mey be upgrading the network for the release of WinmX 3.0??
Old 09-12-01, 02:16 PM   #3
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger
I'm not real familiar with DSL connections so I'm not much help there. Are they running a firewall or a router? Proxy? This may have something to do with it. Changes can be made in the settings/connections tab.

It may just be nothing also as for the past week I have noticed longer connection times as well for the WPNP. The developers mey be upgrading the network for the release of WinmX 3.0??
that could be it. but they don't have a firewall and don't even run zonealarm.

i don't have dsl either that's why i have to ask, to make sure. i don't know if u have to configure differently within winmx for each of them.

thanks!

Old 09-12-01, 03:01 PM   #4
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Nan, are you talking WPNP or the open nap servers? The WPNP should come up with a few seconds, but the open nap servers are up,down,offline, closed down, membership only, you name it.

They could check with their DSL provider to find if they're blocking file transfer programs due to the traffic they generate.

If they are truely networked and not just through a hub like I do, yes, the network can cause problems. Best results with a network is using the "server" computer. Seems the extra link...DSL to Server to Slave computer causes problems. I just bought a 4 port hub and connect both computers to it and the hub to the modem rather than network the 2 computers.
Old 09-12-01, 04:50 PM   #5
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4947
Nan, are you talking WPNP or the open nap servers? The WPNP should come up with a few seconds, but the open nap servers are up,down,offline, closed down, membership only, you name it.

They could check with their DSL provider to find if they're blocking file transfer programs due to the traffic they generate.

If they are truely networked and not just through a hub like I do, yes, the network can cause problems. Best results with a network is using the "server" computer. Seems the extra link...DSL to Server to Slave computer causes problems. I just bought a 4 port hub and connect both computers to it and the hub to the modem rather than network the 2 computers.
mike, they seem pretty new, so i don't think they are into all the open nap servers and lists.
i have copied and pasted your post and emailed it to them, to see if they can ponder your ideas and see if it helps. i want to get them on icq or something so i can ask more questions.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-01, 10:53 PM   #6
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

If they've got any questions feel free to give me a shout, there's not a mistake that could be made that I haven't already made.
Old 11-12-01, 10:10 PM   #7
nanook
just one of the gang...

well, mikey, i got an email back and they are networked without the hub.
i did copy and paste your post and they found it informative.
i gave them a link to trippynet and naphoria for the server lists and he couldn't thank me (YOU) enough.
if he has any more problemas.........he said he will call again, so don't despair if i need ya too!

Old 10-01-06, 06:23 PM   #8
Melody

If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX, there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE. There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels.
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-06, 10:47 PM   #9
multi
Thanks for being with arse

LOL
look at the date on the last post

i wonder if those people even use winmx any more ?

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 12:34 PM   #10
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
LOL

i wonder if those people even use winmx any more ?
probably not, but if they don't it's a great reason to try melody's mxpie.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 06:01 AM   #11
goldie
yea, it's me.

anyone heard from nanook lately?
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 10:13 AM   #12
albed
flippin 'em off

Over at squid's board. I deleted the bookmark since I got banned so someone else help out.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-06, 03:36 PM   #13
goldie
yea, it's me.

thanx albed....
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-06, 07:31 AM   #14
Melody

Thanks, JS
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-06, 10:10 PM   #15
Belle~

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi

LOL

Yeah, a bit odd to bring up a thread from 2001?

Strange........
Belle~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-06, 07:43 AM   #16
albed
flippin 'em off

Spammer....if you didn't notice, he's been making the exact same post in numerous threads here.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote