P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 25-10-06, 10:37 PM   #21
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Hell Jack, I'm sorry I brought it up. I was trying to point out that not all soldiers who go to Iraq die there, like Repo suggested, and you guys have to get all uppity. If anything you've made better arguments against Repo's claim than I have: the majority of soldiers come home alive and people who are actually sentenced to death aren't trained and equiped like soldiers to fend off their executioners. I wish I had thought to write those things in the first place.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-06, 04:50 AM   #22
albed
flippin 'em off

Jack Uppity is a lot more liberal with his own statistics -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
several hundred thousand innocent civilians have been killed by americans
http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...2&postcount=12

So of course he has scrutinize those of others in order to be a complete hypocrite.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-06, 09:52 AM   #23
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Hell Jack, I'm sorry I brought it up. I was trying to point out that not all soldiers who go to Iraq die there, like Repo suggested, and you guys have to get all uppity. If anything you've made better arguments against Repo's claim than I have: the majority of soldiers come home alive and people who are actually sentenced to death aren't trained and equiped like soldiers to fend off their executioners. I wish I had thought to write those things in the first place.
accuracy, not upyouracy.

well you know repo, there's always some debating hyperbole spicing up his wonderfully thought-provoking posts, but i do know he didn't write all soldiers who go to iraq die there, instead he actually mentioned a couple of figures, "hundreds" and "thousands" - as in additional preventable deaths and injuries, should we leave sooner than later. for instance, had we left last month 100 soldiers would still be alive who are now dead (or 95, depending on the source), and hundreds more would be uninjured. i don't see much room to argue there, he's already proved himself. even at this rate in a few more months certainly the deaths will unfortunately exceed even his estimates won't they?

albed - no idea what you're on about but if bush, who may have the most accurate numbers, came out with them instead of hiding them from the people, we'd all be on the same page. as it is we're left with heath groups, think tanks, reporters and various other factions grappling with this terrible issue of the innocent civilian dead. although some say the totals approach 700,000, in the interest of fairness i said several hundred thousand - and also included a qualifier. in addition i made it clear they're not "my statistics."

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-06, 10:17 AM   #24
albed
flippin 'em off

Since you put the statement in your own post and not a quote and didn't reference a source it is clearly yours.

I love it when habitual liars mix up texting and speech and think they can spin the same bullshit when their words are on permanent display as if they were spoken.
Old 26-10-06, 10:48 AM   #25
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
I love it when habitual liars mix up texting and speech and think they can spin the same bullshit when their words are on permanent display as if they were spoken.
Not going to dig it out right now - but someone put a nice mash up of the Bush interview with him claiming ~'it's never been stay the course' followed by some 20+ clips of him saying stay the course.

Still amazed they went that way with their reimaging of the administration policy.

(sorry for the tangent, the permanent display part got me thinking about it)
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-06, 11:13 AM   #26
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
Since you put the statement in your own post and not a quote and didn't reference a source it is clearly yours.

gee albed i didn't realise you assumed i was in iraq last week collecting the figures myself. or are you pretending to be obtuse in order to make wholly irrelevent points?

- js
Old 26-10-06, 11:34 AM   #27
albed
flippin 'em off

I didn't assume anything, I caught you blatantly lying in the course of your usual anti-american propaganda efforts.

Trying to bullshit your way out of it isn't as easy when your words are written instead of spoken, but hell you sure are trying aren't you?

Just go point at Mazer some more and try to distract attention from your own statement.
Old 26-10-06, 12:28 PM   #28
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Njah Njah

Quote:
pretending to be obtuse in order to make wholly irrelevent points?
Quote:
try to distract attention from your own statement.
comeon guys this is going nowhere.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-06, 01:48 PM   #29
daddydirt
even the losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
well you know repo, there's always some debating hyperbole spicing up his wonderfully thought-provoking posts,

- js.
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-06, 03:01 PM   #30
JackSpratts

ok you caught me rasputin. i admit it, i did go to iraq last week to count the dead civilians. i ran out of paper at 307,124. i'll return sometime after ramadan.

- js.
Old 18-11-06, 08:56 AM   #31
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

this can only be helpful, imo - anything resembling a solution to the mess in iraq is gonna require regional cooperation:
Quote:
WASHINGTON, Nov. 17 — James A. Baker III, the former secretary of state who is now Republican co-chairman of a bipartisan group examining strategic options in Iraq, has met several times with Syrian officials to discuss how they might cooperate with the United States, the Syrian ambassador here said Friday.

“What would it take Syria to help on Iraq?” the Syrian ambassador, Imad Moustapha, recalled Mr. Baker asking Syria’s foreign minister, Walid Muallem, during a meeting in New York at the Waldorf-Astoria in September. Mr. Moustapha described the session as “very promising.”

During a 45-minute interview at the Syrian Embassy on Friday morning, the ambassador said he arranged the New York meeting, also attended by other members of the bipartisan Iraq Study Group, at Mr. Baker’s request. Separately, Ambassador Moustapha met twice with the study group in Washington.
might as well get used to the idea that we're gonna have to talk to Iran at some point, too. the Prez, however, is not willing to come down off his high horse:
Quote:
President Bush, though, has not seemed open to dramatic policy shifts. During an appearance in the Oval Office on Monday, Mr. Bush called on Syria to withdraw from Lebanon and stop “harboring terrorists,” and said Iran must suspend uranium enrichment before talks could begin.

“If the Iranians want to have a dialogue with us, we have shown them a way forward,” Mr. Bush said. On Syria, he said, “The Syrian president knows my position.”
only the President is still clinging to the notion that Iran and Syria must come forward on bended knee, bearing concessions. they won't because they have no reason to. but at least Bush now appears to be listening to people, older and wiser than he, who are considerably more realistic about US limitations in the region.
Quote:
...there is speculation that the study group will advocate greater cooperation among the United States and Syria and Iran.

But Mr. Baker said at a news conference in September that the group intended to meet with officials of both countries. An outside adviser to the group, speaking on condition of anonymity, said in an interview this week that the panel had also interviewed the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, Javad Zarif.

Mr. Baker has made little secret of his belief that the United States should negotiate with nations that it regards as enemies. He often likes to recount how, as secretary of state under the first President Bush, he traveled 15 times to Damascus in pursuit of a Middle East peace agreement. Earlier this week, Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain delivered a widely publicized speech in which he suggested the West should pursue greater engagement with Iran and Syria.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/18/wo...artn er=MYWAY
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-06, 11:07 PM   #32
theknife

Default can we call it a civil war yet?

Quote:
Michael Ware, CNN:"This is what we're talking about. We're talking about Sunni neighborhoods shelling Shia neighborhoods, and Shia neighborhoods shelling back.

We're having Sunni communities dig fighting positions to protect their streets. We're seeing Sunni extremists plunging car bombs into heavily-populated Shia marketplaces. We're seeing institutionalized Shia death squads in legitimate police and national police commando uniforms going in, systematically, to Sunni homes in the middle of the night and dragging them out, never to be seen again."
so if the Shia Iraqi government is in open war with the Sunnis, who are the good guys and what is the mission for the US troops ?
Old 26-11-06, 12:27 AM   #33
Necrodancer
Apprentice Napsterite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
this can only be helpful, imo - anything resembling a solution to the mess in iraq is gonna require regional cooperation:
Sure, Assad and Ahmadinejad will be happy to help out. They've been great allies so far!
Necrodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-06, 11:16 AM   #34
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodancer
Sure, Assad and Ahmadinejad will be happy to help out. They've been great allies so far!
keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer
Old 30-11-06, 07:28 PM   #35
Nicobie

Default If U want it changed...

I guess I need to ask, Would you be happier if America went back being isolationists? You know, self sufficient.
Old 02-12-06, 06:16 PM   #36
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

I think we need to worry about our own problems more than we do about other countries. That's what the UN is for. Being more self sufficient would be a good idea also, IMO. I don't want to totally separate the USA from the world community. I don't think we should go as far as adopting a policy of Isolationism.
P2P Consortium
vernarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 06:39 PM   #37
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

We have become such a specialized country with such a wide trade gap that any fluctuation in the world economy will have drastic effects on our way of life. We have no choice but to police the world or face having to make our own chinsy crap that used to be made in China, and make our own high tech appliances that used to be made in Hong Kong and Japan, and make all of our own steel again, and look for fossil fuels in our nature preserves because we couldn't afford to import those things anymore. Isolationism is not only a bad idea, it's also become technically infeasible because this country doesn't make things anymore, we only buy things. The cost of production must remain low worldwide or else the cost of living in America will sky rocket.
Old 02-12-06, 07:42 PM   #38
Nicobie

Mazer...

Can I assume you're not a union man?

Hahahahahahahaa
Old 02-12-06, 10:19 PM   #39
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Nope, not a bit, though I do account for 20% of my company's employees. I've never worked at a company big enough to warrant a labor union and that's the way I like it.

Still, I remember when Made in the USA meant something and it's too bad that it doesn't anymore.