P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 06-06-06, 07:38 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Default Even Hilary does not believe in suing your customers anymore

I have started a blog Reflections on P2P Revolution where I intend to post my reflections and musings on various p2p topics. Here's my first blog entry on our old friend from the days of Napster, Hilary Rosen:

Even Hilary does not believe in suing your customers anymore

Hilary Rosen, the ex-chairwoman of the RIAA and a much-hated character during the Napster's heyday, expresses her concern over the RIAA's present suing campaigns targeting individual p2p users in her recent blog entry. She does not seem to believe in DRM either, although leaves the elaboration of that theme to a later time.

I see no reason to doubt the honesty of her opinions expressed as a private person. Professional executives like her are like mercenaries - resourceful, determined and efficient in their jobs even if they had moral doubts about what they are doing. As long as they are paid, they will do it anyway, and there are plenty of them on the market for the media cartels to choose from.

The filesharers, on the other hand, are just private people with little or no experience of serious things like criminal courts, lobbying and doing PR in the media. When faced with the professional 'killers' of the media cartels they are totally helpless and seldom see any other choices than to surrender on the spot, trying to gather together whatever loots the mercenaries demand from them. This applies today to almost the whole planet, Sweden being perhaps the only warzone where the playground is more even, thanks to the rising political movement of the Swedish pirates.

Despite the gloomy situation we have today, the long term prospects of the media cartels to keep up their empire are less rosy. What is happening in Sweden today will be happening in other countries within a few years. People are questioning the media cartel propaganda on a deeper level; they are starting to see things in a wider context. They are starting to see the invisible strings of control and corruption that have caused their own elected legislators to write such cartel-friendly copyright laws. They are starting to realize that the democratic mechanisms are not quite dead yet, despite the apparent depressing hegemony of corporations over the political decision-makers. If the Swedish pirates can succesfully defy their copyright laws and make a run to their parliament to rewrite the bad laws, why could it not happen elsewhere too? Why not, indeed.
Attached Images

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 10:08 AM   #2
JackSpratts

congratulations on your blog tg. the p2p community has been waiting for just such an event!

btw, love your profile.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 10:17 AM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

nice entry into the blogosphere, tg

a little wordy on the profile tho - some people just go on and on about themselves, don't they?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 10:19 AM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
a little wordy on the profile tho - some people just go on and on about themselves, don't they?
Yeah I know... sorry for being such a chatterbox...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote