P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 10-12-05, 07:26 PM   #1
RDixon

Default Percentage of programs / Apps / etc With Embeded Trojans, Worms, etc on P2P Networks

Last night I installed and tested Limewire for a friend who also uses WildBlue satellite internet and thought that they may be blocking p2p ports cause he couldn't get LW to work on his system.

I didn't find blocked or throttled ports, but I did find that 8 out of 10 app files I downloaded were infected with various trojans and worms.

I wonder what percentage of average p2p users are aware of this?
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 08:06 PM   #2
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDixon
I wonder what percentage of average p2p users are aware of this?
my guess? most of the p2p habitués are well aware of it, i mean to say the sharers who've been around for 5 years or more, the ones most likely to use private networks, irc, dc hubs and (to a lesser extent) bittorrent sites. the amount of fakes on open nets is well known to them, as are the stories about companies that do the faking. the great shift away from kazaa and gnutella is explained only partly by legal worries, which are still mostly distant and theoretical. if you're happy with the results at a particular network you'll probably keep using it. i know i do, but what gets me out fast is an experience like yours: the stuff i get doesn't work or it's dangerous. that motivates like nothing else. so real people leave, leaving the fakers behind in increasing proportions.

naturally the community responds like the living organism it is and routes around spoofs fairly efficiently. and it learns. it's gotten so good at it the fakers are finding rough sledding. overpeer - the most notorious of a very ugly bunch went bust, closing it's doors and putting it's hardware up for sale. this won't end the problem anytime soon but it does illustrate the strength of the file sharing community, it's flexibility in dealing with such centralized onslaughts and it’s determination to persevere in spite of the obstacles.

there are millions of "us's" and only a handful of thems after all and today the us's have it, even if in the process we had to pass on a network or two for now.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 01:07 AM   #3
multi
Thanks for being with arse

The Limewire installer had a trojan or worm ?
can you post a link for this i would like to try it

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 02:42 PM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

Most of the apps on Kazaa are fake. Apparently ditto for Gnutella. I've always used warez sites for apps, and Usenet and IRC for bigger ones. Virtually no fakes or trojans on warez sites. BitTorrent is still relatively clean.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 03:43 PM   #5
RDixon

On the plus side:
I did find a few rare live John Prine tunes that I didn't have yet.
First time I've used a p2p app in years.
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote