P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 18-10-04, 07:45 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Anybody Vote Yet?

i voted today...NC has early voting thru 10/31, so i figured, why not get it out of the way?

it felt good...a real act of participatory democracy for a change - not quite as much fun as lurking around conservative forums, waylaying hapless righties, but a lot more satisfying.

i was the 350th person to vote at the New Hanover County Library. 350 may not sound like a lot, but for what amounts to absentee voting here in NC's smallest county, after the polls have been open for only 48 hours, it's significant. the poll workers tell me they've never seen anything like it - people are fired up, voter registration is through the roof....people were lined up, waiting 20 minutes or so to get processed and get into a booth.

i'd like to think that everyone is aware, as i am, that the current state of affairs in the US was basically determined by 537 people in Florida in 2000. i truly believe this is the most important election of my lifetime and i think a lot of other people feel the same.

in the meantime, watching the swing state polls is making me f&*%ing crazy...
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-04, 07:50 PM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

what did you think of these voting machines?
i saw on our news here that already they had a some sort of malfunction, maybe they crashed..it wasnt very specific..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-04, 08:12 PM   #3
theknife

early voting in this state is basically absentee voting - you do it the old fashioned way with a paper ballot and a #2 pencil. fill in the box by each of your choices, give them the ballot back and they scan it into some kind of tally machine. paper and pencil is kind of reassuring - the only way it can crash is if you break the pencil point

i have no idea if NC's computerizd their regular voting process or not...
Old 18-10-04, 10:42 PM   #4
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I requested an absentee ballot but I havn't recieved it yet, I should have it soon though. It'll be the second time for me, last time being four years ago. This year is particularly important for Colorado because Campbell (the democrat turned republican) isn't in the race this year and his seat will likely be filled by a democrat, splitting Colorado's voice in the Senate down the middle and giving the dems a slim majority. All of Colorado's electoral votes will go to Bush again, but it's the Senate race that makes this a swing state.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-04, 04:44 AM   #5
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
I requested an absentee ballot but I havn't recieved it yet, I should have it soon though. It'll be the second time for me, last time being four years ago. This year is particularly important for Colorado because Campbell (the democrat turned republican) isn't in the race this year and his seat will likely be filled by a democrat, splitting Colorado's voice in the Senate down the middle and giving the dems a slim majority. All of Colorado's electoral votes will go to Bush again, but it's the Senate race that makes this a swing state.
hey Mazer, how's amendment 36 doing? that's an interesting vote that could affect everybody in the country eventually, if it passes...
Old 19-10-04, 08:54 AM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I havn't seen any recent polls on the subject (a poll from Sept. 22 reported a small majority in favor), but the opposing radio ad's are funny. It's being shot down by a group called 'Coloradans Against a Really Stupid Idea,' not kidding you.

I'm against it myself. If the presidential elections havn't already degraded down to popularity contests then this would only make things worse. There's nothing that divides Americans more than election results. The last election turnd into a pissing contest over a matter of 25 electoral votes, can you imagine what it would do to us all if a candidate won by just one vote? It also feeds into my fear that Americans only really care about national politics, that they cast their votes for President, Senator, and Representative and ignore the local issues. I'm heartened by the recent news of a huge voter turnout this year but are these really informed voters who vote for local and state affairs as well, or are they just trying to give their presidental candidate a majority and nothing else?

In pracitce the amendment would immediatly take four votes from Bush and give them to Kerry, which is probably why the Apollo Group proposed the amendment here.
Old 19-10-04, 01:05 PM   #7
multi
Thanks for being with arse

it was in florida where they had the glitch

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-04, 03:34 PM   #8
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
I havn't seen any recent polls on the subject (a poll from Sept. 22 reported a small majority in favor), but the opposing radio ad's are funny. It's being shot down by a group called 'Coloradans Against a Really Stupid Idea,' not kidding you.

I'm against it myself. If the presidential elections havn't already degraded down to popularity contests then this would only make things worse. There's nothing that divides Americans more than election results. The last election turnd into a pissing contest over a matter of 25 electoral votes, can you imagine what it would do to us all if a candidate won by just one vote? It also feeds into my fear that Americans only really care about national politics, that they cast their votes for President, Senator, and Representative and ignore the local issues. I'm heartened by the recent news of a huge voter turnout this year but are these really informed voters who vote for local and state affairs as well, or are they just trying to give their presidental candidate a majority and nothing else?

In pracitce the amendment would immediatly take four votes from Bush and give them to Kerry, which is probably why the Apollo Group proposed the amendment here.
i think amendment 36 would only be to Colorado's disadvantage as long as Colorado is the only state doing it...if other states got on board, it would make sense for everyone...

(for those not familiar with amendent 36, it's a proposition on the Colorado ballot this year to apportion electoral votes to each candidate based on the percentage of votes that candidate gets - e.g. Bush gets 60% percent of Colorado votes, then he gets 60% of Colorado's electoral votes....as opposed to the current winner-take-all method used in every state. if it gets passed, it goes into effect this year, meaning instead of Bush having Colorado's 9 electoral votes in the bag, he would presumably only get 5 [based on the usual Colorado voter trends] and Kerry gets the other 4. needless to say, the Dems love this idea and the GOP hates it....)

it's not a bad concept because it brings the whole system back to a one man, one vote concept, and if it was adopted acrross the country, then the electoral vote would in fact reflect the popular vote.

there are some other very interesting arguments for it, namely that it would increase the viability of third party candidates. a pretty good overview of 36 can be found here:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...422386,00.html
Old 20-10-04, 07:54 PM   #9
esteeaz
The First Napsterite

Puke bullshit...

yeah everyone in the military before the debates- i smell bullshit!!!!! and you should see some of the propaganda being spewed about in the military- it is disgusting. i have friends who were pissed when they got home- they said its close to brainwashing.
"We have two million people in jail. Our country doesn't build hospitals, doesn't build schools and doesn't build day-care centers. It builds prisons. This is not the hallmark of a free society, but of a police state." -Steven Hager, High Times Editor-in-Chief
hot or not.com...
got space?....
esteeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-04, 05:44 PM   #10
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Update: seems opposition to amendment 36 in Colorado has risen to 55% as of a week ago. When election results come in on the news channels some states are red and others are blue, but if Colorado gave elecoral votes to both candidates would we be the purple state? Damn, I hope not.