P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-07-04, 03:46 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default Don't blame pirates for PC game sales decline

Quote:
When I buy a pizza, I expect to get a pizza. I expect it with the toppings I order, and I expect it to be delivered promptly. By calling Domino's or Papa John's, I've contractually agreed to pay for a pizza when it arrives. But if the deliverman shows up 2 hours late, with cold pizza, with Anchovies instead of Peperoni, then, no, I'm not going to pay for that. The problem with typical game publishers, is they expect you to eat that pizza, and be happy for it. You paid for hot pepperoni, and got cold anchovies, but you have no recourse.
http://www.joeuser.com/index.asp?c=1&AID=21895&u=0

Quote:
So don't talk to me about piracy. It's not the pirates that have ripped us off of hundreds of thousands in lost royalties. It's been "Real businesses" doing that thank you very much. The position of royalty eating parasite has already been taken.

It's the demographic of people who allegedly do all this pirating that's been paying our bills. People with Internet connections who download games. They pay my salary. They are my overlord now. So I hope you can excuse me if I don't lose sleep at night that some 15 year old might have downloaded my game while some executive at a company (or former company) is sailing on their boat paid for by my hard work. The software pirate can go to jail on a felony, the business executive who doesn't pay royalties gets off the hook.

So yea, tell me again how I need to put some dongle or whatever on my game to keep 15 year olds from pirating? When our contract with publishers forces them to wear a shock collar that I can press a button to shock them if royalties aren't paid on time then we'll talk about forcing customers to deal with massive copy protection. But it's not the pirates I worry about.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-04, 09:42 PM   #2
Heathcliff
One half won't do

That makes a good point, how consumers (god I hate that word) are empowered by file sharing technology. If the big dogs were smart they would use it to entice sales of their products instead of the Gestapo tactics.
Old 25-07-04, 02:55 AM   #3
multi
Thanks for being with arse

if you played PC games in the 80's
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...064107,00.html

a long but cool story on the guys that made 'elite'

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote