P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 21-05-04, 09:29 PM   #1
pks1984

Default p2p through port 80?

I don't know if this post belongs on this forum, but are there any p2p programs that run through Port 80 by default. This is the only open port from my dorm room, I can't even use secure internet sites.
Old 28-05-04, 01:47 PM   #2
throwaway18
P2P Pundit

I thought I replied to this earlier, finger trouble or the forum eating posts?

When your client makes an outgoing connection it has to use whatever port it's peer is listening on.

Kazaa will try to use port 80 but they have probably managed to block it.

There are services such as http-tunnel and anonx that will proxy p2p traffic for you in return for money.
throwaway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-04, 05:53 PM   #3
pod
Bumbling idiot

Technically you CAN go through port 80. But since your network's so locked down, I bet they also use a proxy for all the port 80 traffic, so you can't just sneak it through. You would have to use an HTTP tunnel, which is a piece of software on your computer that sends regular P2P traffic through port 80 making it look like web requests, and another piece of software on the other side which decodes said traffic and sends it on your behalf. It's very slow, probably doesn't work so well with UDP packets, and you'll set off a huge flag at the firewall (browsing too much
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-04, 07:48 PM   #4
JackSpratts

the business of bandwidth capping has come a long way since it managers first freaked out at napster's potential of consuming every last institutional bit. dire warnings of endless bandwidth usage and skyrocketing costs have led to more effective approaches now that vendors have gotten sophisticated in designing targeted products. these days port restrictions are no longer required and that's good, but it's also bad because the brainy new software recognizes unauthorized file sharing and cuts off your bandwidth to that specific file accordingly. now students are trading stories of brutally effective bandwidth capping – like people buying itunes in mere seconds - while waiting 3 days for kazaa song downloads to complete.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-04, 08:55 AM   #5
wwasicek

Jack is right. It is all about the dollar. Bandwidth cost the ISPs money, so if they can limit it or block high end users from using it under the excuse of potential copyright infringement then they will do it.
wwasicek is offline   Reply With Quote