P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 23-04-04, 08:25 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Dead Soldiers

is it in bad taste to show pictures of flag draped coffins? or does the public have the right to see reality of war?

the Pentagon and the administration thinks you shouldn't have the right to see these photos...

Quote:
Deputy Under Secretary of Defence John Molino said Pentagon lawyers were looking into whether banning the further release of such photographs would fall foul of the Freedom of Information Act. "We continually get feedback from families that this reflects their desires to maintain a degree of privacy... and also maintains the respect and the dignified treatment of those remains as they're transferred," he said.
hmmm...it's hard to square that argument since the fallen soldier pictured, and the affected family, are completely anonymous. seems equally likely the administration would like to sanitize the war as much as possible. some of the most powerful images from Vietnam were the ongoing procession of flag draped coffins arriving at Dover Air Force Base...they had an impact on public opinion, as well they should.

publishing these photos oughta be required, imo...the public should be continually reminded that, under all the flag waving and gung-ho rhetoric, it still comes back to cannon fodder. the adminstration is unwilling to come clean on the cost of this war - financial or human.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3652171.stm
Attached Images

theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-04, 09:52 PM   #2
Squid
fish tacos ftw

Those are great pictures and i have no problem with them being seen. I'm not the Pentagon tho...
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-04, 06:06 AM   #3
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

This whole issue has been blown out of proportion IMO

Quote:
Pentagon rules dating back to 1991 ban the media from covering the return of the remains of soldiers killed abroad.
This isn't something new the rules have been in place for awhile. If the media chooses to use the Freedom Of Information act to access these pictures, would it not be easy enough for the DOD to just stop taking pictures?
Old 24-04-04, 06:24 AM   #4
theknife

Quote:
Originally posted by AweShucks
This whole issue has been blown out of proportion IMO

This isn't something new the rules have been in place for awhile. If the media chooses to use the Freedom Of Information act to access these pictures, would it not be easy enough for the DOD to just stop taking pictures?
the DOD didn't take these pics - it was a contractor in Iraq who took the pics and was subsequently fired. agreed that it's much ado about nothing, but if pictures exist, the DOD shouldn't be able to stop them from being published.
Old 24-04-04, 06:55 AM   #5
JackSpratts

i think if we're willing to send kids to their deaths we ought to be willing to look at em returning. the war department’s being too coy by half. these caskets are anonymous in the extreme - making the "violation of privacy" arguments hollow. it's definitely a bush thing. bush I instituted the rule for the first time, while clinton actually publicly received them returning (as did reagan), now bush II continues it at dover and for the first time at other receiving stations as well. as usual in many things surrounding war, the decisions aren't protecting the soldiers as much as protecting the so-called leaders, by shielding them from continued embarrassment, the basis of the “dover rule.” as the mother of dead us soldier recently said, “we need to stop hiding the deaths of our young.”

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-04, 08:21 PM   #6
theknife

Quote:
A White House spokesman, Trent Duffy, said on Friday that President Bush had seen photographs of the coffins of service members killed in Iraq arriving at Dover Air Force Base that were made public on Thursday and agreed with the Pentagon that releasing the photographs was wrong.
....but the Prez has no problem running a campaign ad that shows a flag-draped coffin being removed from the ruins of the WTC.
Old 25-04-04, 05:34 AM   #7
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
....but the Prez has no problem running a campaign ad that shows a flag-draped coffin being removed from the ruins of the WTC.
Same principle but not the same issue. I distinctly remember watching the news media cover the WTC search and rescue and seeing the same thing
Regardless of how people feel about this rule using it as a political leverage point is wrong! If someone wants it changed they should start writing letters to congress and the senate, not pointing fingers.
Old 26-04-04, 12:19 PM   #8
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

i think if we're willing to send kids to their deaths we ought to be willing to look at em returning. the war department’s being too coy by half. these caskets are anonymous in the extreme - making the "violation of privacy" arguments hollow. it's definitely a bush thing. bush I instituted the rule for the first time, while clinton actually publicly received them returning (as did reagan), now bush II continues it at dover and for the first time at other receiving stations as well. as usual in many things surrounding war, the decisions aren't protecting the soldiers as much as protecting the so-called leaders, by shielding them from continued embarrassment, the basis of the “dover rule.” as the mother of dead us soldier recently said, “we need to stop hiding the deaths of our young.”

- js.

Nice picture, do you have one using the dead from the WTC making the face of Bill Clinton? Hey maybe you could do one of LBJ with the dead soliders from the Veitnam War. Think the Liberal Bush Hating BBC would do one? Or maybe the NY Times could do it....."????"......

Last edited by Sinner : 26-04-04 at 12:45 PM.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-04, 01:18 PM   #9
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinner
Nice picture, do you have one using the dead from the WTC making the face of Bill Clinton?

i don't, but feel free... there would be six images.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-04, 06:01 PM   #10
ab-NORM-al
Dreaming of ULTIMATE p2p file sharing....yup yup!

every pic looked quite respectable and honorable

not necessarily posed...i hope

why don't they post full face pics every day for a week

oh, that's right, they were nobodies

no Tillmans anyway

i think i'm a hero cuz i'm staying alive trying to change some shit at the root

i firmly believe in the very selfish nature of human beings

even do gooders get to feel good....hmm....feelgooders

luv alla yuz
ab-NORM-al is offline   Reply With Quote