P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 05-02-04, 02:05 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default George J. Tenet's "Ringers"

So Tenet’s last minute speech was notable for among other things the fact he picked an audience more than just sympathetic, he picked one from the place he knows will be among the most enthusiastic in the country; his alma mater, the spy school of Georgetown University in Washington DC. And to make sure they got the message there was more than just info riding on today’s presentation, these prospective intelligence employees were informed he’s hiring – big time!

It was one of those perfectly surreal Washington moments; watching a beleaguered director “brave enough” to take potentially embarrassing questions from an audience thoroughly compromised beforehand. He made quite sure they got the message, and what it will mean to their careers saying, “We have spent the last seven years rebuilding our clandestine service. As director of central intelligence, this has been my highest priority.

“When I came to the CIA in the mid-'90s our graduating class of case officers was unbelievably low. Now,” he continued, “after years of rebuilding our training programs and putting our best efforts to recruit the most talented men and women, we are graduating more clandestine officers than at any time in the history of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Finally, in case a few students in the room were having trouble dealing with reality at such an early hour, he hammered it home by telling them he’s not through yet, not by a long shot. “It will take an additional five years to finish the job of rebuilding our clandestine service, but the results so far have been obvious.”

Yes, the subtext was clear. As long as I’m around, I’ll be controlling hiring untill you're out of school! Long enough that even the greenest freshmen in today’s audience had better look both ways before crossing that particular street.

(And oh yeah, I never said Iraq was an “imminent threat,” so don't hang that one on me.)

Now then, who has the first question?

Several nerfball queries from nervous students floated his way...

This is not a guy with alot of confidence in his message if he needs that kind of protection. The waitresses at my diner would have had him for breakfast.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-04, 03:03 PM   #2
Sinner
--------------------

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-02-04, 03:04 PM   #3
span

Political figure doesn't answer hard questions ---- WORLD SHOCKED!!

stay tuned for updates!

span is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-04, 11:57 PM   #4
greedy_lars
everything you do

CIA Chief: Saddam Wasn't Imminent Threat
1 hour, 29 minutes ago Add White House - AP Cabinet & State to My Yahoo!

By KATHERINE PFLEGER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Intelligence analysts never told President Bush before the invasion of Iraq that Saddam Hussein 's rule posed an imminent threat, CIA Director George Tenet said Thursday in a heated defense of agency findings central to the decision to go to war.

The urgency of the Iraqi threat was Bush's main argument for the war. But the president said Thursday he still would have invaded Iraq if he'd known no weapons stockpiles existed — adding a new element to the much-debated question of whether the United States went to war based on faulty assumptions.

the rest

-------------------------------------------------

This is starting to get interesting.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 12:37 AM   #5
scooobiedooobie

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars
CIA Chief: Saddam Wasn't Imminent Threat
By KATHERINE PFLEGER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Intelligence analysts never told President Bush before the invasion of Iraq that Saddam Hussein 's rule posed an imminent threat, CIA Director George Tenet said Thursday in a heated defense of agency findings central to the decision to go to war.

The urgency of the Iraqi threat was Bush's main argument for the war. But the president said Thursday he still would have invaded Iraq if he'd known no weapons stockpiles existed — adding a new element to the much-debated question of whether the United States went to war based on faulty assumptions.
-------------------------------------------------

This is starting to get interesting.
greedy…maybe you could for once, take the time to fully read a persons “entire” statement, instead of only concentrating on the parts that you like.

full transcript of george tenet's speech…

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/02/05...irq.tenet.wmd/

excerpts:
Quote:
This estimate asked if Iraq had chemical, biological and nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them. We concluded that in some of these categories Iraq had weapons, and that in others where it did not have them, it was trying to develop them.
They never said there was an imminent threat. Rather, they painted an objective assessment for our policy-makers of a brutal dictator who was continuing his efforts to deceive and build programs that might constantly surprise us and threaten our interests. No one told us what to say or how to say it. How did we reach our conclusions? We had three streams of information; none perfect, but each important.

First, Iraq's history. Everyone knew that Iraq had chemical and biological weapons in the 1980s and 1990s. Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons against Iran and his own people on at least 10 different occasions. He launched missiles against Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel. And we couldn't forget that in the early 1990s, we saw that Iraq was just a few years away from a nuclear weapon. This was not a theoretical program. It turned out that we and other intelligence services of the world had significantly underestimated his progress. And finally, we could not forget that Iraq lied repeatedly about its unconventional weapons. To conclude before the war that Saddam had no interest in rebuilding his weapons of mass destruction programs, we would have had to ignore his long and brutal history of using them.

Our second stream of information was that the United Nations could not and Saddam would not account for all the weapons the Iraqis had: tons of chemical weapons precursors, hundreds of artillery shells and bombs filled with chemical or biological agents.

We did not take this data on face value. We did take it seriously. We worked with the inspectors, giving them leads, helping them fight Saddam's deception strategy of cheat and retreat.
Over eight years of inspections, Saddam's deceptions and the increasingly restrictive rules of engagements U.N. inspectors were forced to negotiate with the regime undermined efforts to disarm him. To conclude before the war that Saddam had destroyed his existing weapons, we would have had to ignore what the United Nations and allied intelligence said they could not verify.

The third stream of information came after the U.N. inspectors left Iraq in 1998. We gathered intelligence through human agents, satellite photos and communications intercepts. Other foreign intelligence services were clearly focused on Iraq and assisted in the effort. In intercepts of conversations and other transactions, we heard Iraqis seeking to hide prohibited items, worrying about their cover stories and trying to procure items Iraq was not permitted to have. Satellite photos showed a pattern of activity designed to conceal movement of material from places where chemical weapons had been stored in the past.

We also saw reconstruction of dual-purpose facilities previously used to make biological weapons or chemical precursors. And human sources told us of efforts to acquire and hide materials used in the production of such weapons. And to come to conclusions before the war other than those we reached, we would have had to ignore all the intelligence gathered from multiple sources after 1998.
the reality is, in president bush’s state of the union address he said we can't wait for an imminent threat to occur, because once it's become imminent it's too late. the collective media has forgotten that. fortunately, we have transcripts of these facts.

full transcript of president bush’s speech….
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...t.8/index.html

excerpts:
Quote:
Before September the 11th, many in the world believed that Saddam Hussein could be contained. But chemical agents, lethal viruses and shadowy terrorist networks are not easily contained. Imagine those 19 hijackers with other weapons and other plans, this time armed by Saddam Hussein. It would take one vial, one canister, one crate slipped into this country to bring a day of horror like none we have ever known. We will do everything in our power to make sure that that day never comes.

Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words and all recriminations would come too late. Trusting in the sanity and restraint of Saddam Hussein is not a strategy, and it is not an option.

The dictator who is assembling the world's most dangerous weapons has already used them on whole villages, leaving thousands of his own citizens dead, blind or disfigured. Iraqi refugees tell us how forced confessions are obtained: by torturing children while their parents are made to watch. International human rights groups have catalogued other methods used in the torture chambers of Iraq: electric shock, burning with hot irons, dripping acid on the skin, mutilation with electric drills, cutting out tongues, and rape. If this is not evil, then evil has no meaning.

And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed people of Iraq: Your enemy is not surrounding your country, your enemy is ruling your country. And the day he and his regime are removed from power will be the day of your liberation. The world has waited 12 years for Iraq to disarm. America will not accept a serious and mounting threat to our country and our friends and our allies.
scooobiedooobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 05:57 PM   #6
greedy_lars
everything you do

durr, i posted part of a story, not his speech, and i gave the link to the rest. pay attn.
Old 07-02-04, 07:48 PM   #7
scooobiedooobie

Quote:
durr, i posted part of a story, not his speech, and i gave the link to the rest. pay attn.
that story did not print everything that was said.

how can you base your opinions and conclusions on bits and pieces of what a reporter chooses to print or say, instead of what was actually said..in it's entirety?
Old 07-02-04, 07:55 PM   #8
greedy_lars
everything you do

hahhaha, did i claim it represented all that was in his speech? hahahah. no, its the first part of an article i found interesting, nothing more. lol
Old 07-02-04, 09:13 PM   #9
scooobiedooobie

Quote:
hahhaha, did i claim it represented all that was in his speech? hahahah. no, its the first part of an article i found interesting, nothing more. lol
my point flew right over your head.
Old 07-02-04, 10:26 PM   #10
greedy_lars
everything you do

umm your point about how the article by KATHERINE PFLEGER dident contain the total of his speech? ya i get your point, but i find it completely baseless as again, it was an article. hahaha geeze.
Old 08-02-04, 09:33 AM   #11
scooobiedooobie

Quote:
umm your point about how the article by KATHERINE PFLEGER dident contain the total of his speech?
nope that's not it.

the whole point still continues to elude you.
Old 08-02-04, 03:07 PM   #12
greedy_lars
everything you do

c c c cool
Old 08-02-04, 05:59 PM   #13
scooobiedooobie

Iran hosting global terrorist conference

Event includes Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, al-Qaida allies

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Just as the U.S. State Department approves wider contact with Iran and as members of Congress begin planning the first official trips in 25 years, Tehran is sponsoring a 10-day conference of major terrorist organization beginning next week.

The purpose of the conference is to discuss anti-U.S. strategy.

Among the groups headed to Iran to participate are: Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad and al-Qaida allies Ansar Al Islam.

The conference, dubbed "Ten Days of Dawn," is designed to mark the 25th anniversary of the return to Iran from exile of the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who led the revolution that ousted the shah of Iran in 1979.

Officials said the conference, ordered by Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei, marks Iran's investment in sponsoring Islamic insurgency groups in the Middle East, Asia and South America.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=37000

greedy...did you get your invitation yet?