P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-12-03, 11:30 AM   #1
wwasicek

Default How much can you share

How much is too much to share? Is there a limit on how much I can have in my share folder? Does it effect my preformance? I use Kazaa and Shareaza the most. I currently have 90GB in the share folder.
wwasicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-03, 12:11 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Screwy

With the way the RIAA, et al. are going after folks, there is no way i'd share even close to that much on any open p2p network.

There are way to many alternatives around and about.

JMHO though.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-03, 12:40 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up

On large public networks I recommend sharing only a few albums. Pick the ones that you really like and want to distribute and keep them shared long enough so that people have time to get them. Sharing just a little publicly keeps you relatively safe from the copyright nazis and also gives better bandwidths to those downloading your stuff.

On small private networks with trusted members only (WASTE, private DC hubs with password access) you can share whatever you have, just apply the upload bandwidth control of your client to limit the traffic somewhat under your maximum capacity so that your own downloads don't suffer.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-03, 12:55 PM   #4
wwasicek

Thanks for the info tankgirl. My upload limit is around 786Kb/s. So I set my upload limit to 500Kb/s. My download speed is still around 1.4Mb/s.
Old 19-12-03, 01:42 PM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Quote:
Originally posted by wwasicek
Thanks for the info tankgirl. My upload limit is around 786Kb/s. So I set my upload limit to 500Kb/s. My download speed is still around 1.4Mb/s.
Sounds good. You can experiment a bit with the upload limit if you suspect your downloads suffering. And of course, if you use several p2p applications simultaneously, you must set their individual upload limits lower so that their sum upload bandwidth remains around 500-600 kb/s.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-03, 01:50 PM   #6
wwasicek

I use one at a time. It get to complicated to use multiples. I look for the files I want on one, if it does have them I go to the next p2p app until I find it.